• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Wife and Son has agreed to a dry run in January ,no electicity ,no water, no cell phones . Just the fire place and the colemans . what do you think. even the five gallon bucket crapper

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Wife and Son has agreed to a dry run in January ,no electicity ,no water, no cell phones . Just the fire place and the colemans . what do you think. even the five gallon bucket crapper

Fill all the bath tubs with water or use a rain barrel to flush and forget that bucket crap. LOL. You still have water even when the elect goes out unless you are on a well.

I think you'll get cold.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    nothing like a practice run to bring to light the flaws of our plans BEFORE we dependent on them to keep us alive.
    Good luck to you guys. Don't forget to be safe with how you guys stay warm. When in doubt ask questions. Is this heater safe for indoor use, what will happen if my fireplace doesn't stay warm through the night? Will pipes freeze and burst? Will we freeze?

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Arch going to set the furnass to 50 degree and use the fire place down stairs , block off the stairwell with a quilt and go from there will let you guys know how the wifey and kid turned out , thinking about doing a looter situation with our fire wood ,to see how my son response . What do you think no live ammo just paint balls

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    thinking about doing a looter situation with our fire wood ,to see how my son response . What do you think no live ammo just paint balls
    WOW, now THAT is hard core! How old is your son? Don't expect him to react the same in what he knows to be a practice drill as he will react in a true event. We instinctively get more protective and possessive when the cards are actually on the table. Both our senses and defenses are heightened when we have adrenaline pumping and have a "need" to protect the ones we care about.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    14 , I have some friends that play paintball (hardcore) "raiders" but I think my son will take them out . He is usally very level headed under high stress situations . What is pretty cool about the whole thing is the wife and son are really onboard with the whole dryrun thing but I haven't mentioned the looting thing to either.
    But the whole purpose of the dryrun is just to make sure we have our ducks in a row , in case of another power outage or ice storm/disaster. Several years ago in North Carolina my dad was without power for 3 weeks , he had a diseal gen set , but had to drive almost 60 miles 1 way to get fuel .

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I would be weary of the Colemans, I think they emit noxious fumes.

So does my brother, but we let him in the house!

We have done this with our hunting BOB's in the woods on a rainy weekend, the thread is buried somewhere in here. The "dry run" is perfect, it will test the plan, and you can adapt while you have the chance.

Quite surprising, of the 3 people selected to start a fire for our BOB test, my 7 year old followed the plan to the letter, and was the first to get a sustained fore going, showing up his uncle and Grandfather. Quite a confidence builder for all, for it had been raining for the 48 hours before we arrived. His younger brothers get to go when we do a winter camping run in January, they all have BOB's packed and loaded.

As Jack said, you may get cold, which is a great reminder that you're still alive!

+1 for doing it instead of just talking about it!!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would start 2 days earlier than agreed with your wife... that way last min preps get nixed and you get that pucker factor reaction from her that you need to gauge her ability to cope and push on. I wouldn't bother with adding stress like looters. Cold, no coms, rationed food & water. There is more than enough stress to go around.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    don't listen to redneckmedic he is all about causing trouble. who shows up at someone's house w/ nobody else to help move a 500lb safe. lol just kidding it wasn't really any trouble and he is a stand up guy. btw i got a doe today w/ the bow

now back on topic i did this last year w/ my wife and my then 2 year old to see how it went and everyone did well. my little one really didn't seem to care though she is like daddy and is rarely cold. it will definitely show u what works and what needs improvement

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ain't nothing wrong with using the 5 gal. bucket for a stool holder. Do you have an attached toilet seat, and are you using the sawdust method? If you have a limited water, the buckets the way to go. If it rains, you can add to your water supply if you have catchment. I think I'd use oil lamps over the Coleman's, unless you need a lot of light. Coleman's use a bit of fuel, and are loud inside a house, but they do put off a good amount of heat. I assume ya'll have head lamps? Those are real handy for when you have to "run upstairs" and realize you have no light, or go outside for something. I'd recommend the LED types, cheap, give good light and last quite awhile with intermittant useage.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009

Have a pile of sawdust handy for your bucket crapper. Sprinkle sawdust after use and then add to humanure compost pile.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Lights ,water,heat,and food ,we're good with all of that . I think the incoveniences of meal prep and clean up will be the only real forseen area for improvement . Wife is a mean cook with a dutch oven . Really don't what to waste water stores on waste water.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Lights ,water,heat,and food ,we're good with all of that . I think the incoveniences of meal prep and clean up will be the only real forseen area for improvement . Wife is a mean cook with a dutch oven . Really don't what to waste water stores on waste water.

Redneck it was at the wifes suggestion that we prep no more than what has already been done and currently in place . But I think she may secretly be over stocking on chocolate

Dr F. yes we have one of those fancy deluxe editions the seat is even padded :eek:

Top Bottom