• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    Do you practice dry firing with your firearm? Some "experts" say it's fine while others say not to do it. I really wish I could practice dry firing my 1911 more BUT it's always in the back of my head to not.

Just curious as to what INGO experts have to say...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Dry firing a 1911 will not hurt it a bit. Relax and get some good practice in. make sure to leave all ammo out of the area in which you are dry firing.

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    Dry firing a 1911 will not hurt it a bit. Relax and get some good practice in. make sure to leave all ammo out of the area in which you are dry firing.

I was just reading Kimber's site and they say it's ok as well. I've been watching a bunch of Todd Jarret videos and it makes me want to practice more, haha.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The general rule is that centerfires can be dry fired, but rimfires shouldn't be. That said, there are exceptions on both sides, so it is best to check the manufacturer recommendation if not 100% sure. Coach is a trainer and knows what he's talking about. You should be fine dry firing a 1911. Dry firing can be used for free training and works well for practicing trigger control and full draw to fire practice.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I hate to think of how many times I've dry fired my Kimber. It's good practice!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I buy insurance because it protects me.

I buy snap caps so I don't waste precious time asking myself this question.

gthorne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Lafayette area
    I feel that dry firing is very beneficial. Whether it's before a range session or just an extra 5 min. you have while doing things around the house. I've been making an effort recently to shoot better with both eyes open. Whenever I get a chance I'll take 25-50 dry fires either from low ready or holstered. It's made a big difference in my ability to get sights on target.

427TriPowered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    out of all my revolvers and autoloaders the only owners manual that warns against dry firing is my rimfire 22lr beretta 21a... it specifically states dry fire will result in catastrophic damage... so im buying into that centerfire rimfire argument...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance companies make money because more people buy insurance than need it.

Snap Caps even more so.

Could be but they also help train out the flinch. Perfectly happy spending the 10 bucks.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    out of all my revolvers and autoloaders the only owners manual that warns against dry firing is my rimfire 22lr beretta 21a... it specifically states dry fire will result in catastrophic damage... so im buying into that centerfire rimfire argument...

Beretta centerfire manuals also specifically warn against dry firing.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I'm in the camp that thinks dry firing isn't a problem. In the military, they train you with dry fire exercises (at least 25 years ago they did. :D).

I just don't see how it could cause any damage.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I dry fire my 1911s constantly. After a few 10s of thousands of times you might consider some new springs, other than that I wouldn't worry. The manual on my Keltec pf9 says not to dry fire it as it will damage the firing pin and extractor spring screw. I've read that dry firing striker fired guns should be avoided but I can't find anything in my M&P manual saying not to do it. I've heard both yes and no on Glocks.

Top Bottom