• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mom will shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Is it ok to dry fire? And how much is too much?

It was recommended for me to do some dry fire drills. Particularly learning to draw from holster, both standing and seated -draw, aim, shoot. I am worried that doing too much dry firing will harm our guns. Any advice on this? Obviously, safety first. Check 35 times to make sure its unloaded, keep ammo in a seperate room, only aim at a safe place with sufficient backstop (is that what its called?)

runandgun44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I have dry fired my 9mm thousands of times with no issues, then was told I should be using dummy rounds. Maybe. I just ordered some. But as I said before, no problems yet.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Dry firing is great advice ! In most modern firearms ( except many rimfires ), there is really no such thing as too much. It is a great way to get more familiar with your firearm and more used to the trigger. In your G19, it will seem like over many sessions, it might even help break it in... I don't know if this really is the case or just that you get more used to it.

Some like to use snap caps. Dry firing can be done with or without. I don't own any snap caps, maybe someone will come along and explain what the benefits would be of using them.

Yes, be sure that it is unloaded !!! As for a backstop, I find I just go and hibernate in a particular room that faces my back yard and point the direction that if something did happen, that the bullet would go where I would want it to go. In our case, it would exit out our wall and thru our back yard, entering what now is a corn field. No matter how many times I verified it was unloaded, I still wouldn't dream of dry firing with the muzzle anywhere where it would go toward a childs room, wall towards a neighbor, ect... You get the idea...

Again, dry fire away... If you have a .22 ( rimfire ) around, DON'T dry fire that until you verify that it is a model you can. In most, damage will result...

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'm of the opinion that snap caps are very beneficial in developing trigger pull. Proper repetition, breeds efficiency.

Another benefit to snaps is mechanical. When the hammer, or striker falls after the trigger is pulled, the firing pin is struck. When the firing pin is struck it drives forward until something stops it. When actually shooting live rounds, the primer or case is what stops the forward travel of the firing pin. Dry firing with an empty chamber causes something other than a primer or case to stop the forward travel of the firing pin. If a spring stops it, fine.... but if any part of the firing pin must strike another component in order to stop it's forward travel, then the firing pin is physically "hammering" against another component. The use of dummy rounds, or snap caps will prevent potential damage to the firing pin, or other components.

I suggest using them, and I do use them but that's just my opinion.......

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have done some serious dry firing over the years. One thing I picked up along the way from an IDPA shooter was to get a spent casing, place it on top of the front sight and pull the trigger. The idea is to gain muscle memory. If you drop the casing you are doing something wrong. Maybe jerking the trigger or maybe anticipating the trigger break. But when you can pull the trigger without droping the casing, that's about as close as you can get to perfect trigger control. Again, it's all about muscle memory, and focusing on the front sight.

johnsmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm of the opinion that snap caps are very beneficial in developing trigger pull. Proper repetition, breeds efficiency.

Another benefit to snaps is mechanical. When the hammer, or striker falls after the trigger is pulled, the firing pin is struck. When the firing pin is struck it drives forward until something stops it. When actually shooting live rounds, the primer or case is what stops the forward travel of the firing pin. Dry firing with an empty chamber causes something other than a primer or case to stop the forward travel of the firing pin. If a spring stops it, fine.... but if any part of the firing pin must strike another component in order to stop it's forward travel, then the firing pin is physically "hammering" against another component. The use of dummy rounds, or snap caps will prevent potential damage to the firing pin, or other components.
    I suggest using them, and I do use them but that's just my opinion.......

+1 See, it didn't take long before we had good info on snap caps. :yesway:

Now, would someone that train and teaches advocate the use of snap caps at the range mixed in with live ammo ? I know some who will use someone else and have them load them randomly in mags with live ammo. All this so the person see's their tendency to flinch. For some unknown reason I cannot explain, it just doesn't feel right for myself to be doing this with let's say, my wife or son... I guess it has just something to do with mixing live ammo with something that wont fire... Is this a tool that a trained instructor would use ?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    West of Louisville
    It should be safe in most modern centerfires. Like mentioned before, I would not dry fire rimefires. If in doubt check your owners manual. I know there's a few manufacturers which do not recommend it like Keltec PF-9 and the Beretta 92FS platform due to the two piece firing pin..

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Is this a tool that a trained instructor would use ?
    Very much so. I use it in every class. At the range, with all safety rules observed, mixing a snap cap or dummy round in with live ammunition, will show the shooter if he/she is jerking, flinching, or anticipating recoil. When the snap cap or dummy round is struck by the firing pin. It will provide instant feedback, as the muzzle will jerk downward, but there will be no "bang", and the shooter will have this shocked look on their face....as in... "huh?" If the shooter is NOT jerking the trigger, or flinching, the muzzle will stay on target.

Very good training aid......

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    +1 See, it didn't take long before we had good info on snap caps. :yesway:

Now, would someone that train and teaches advocate the use of snap caps at the range mixed in with live ammo ? I know some who will use someone else and have them load them randomly in mags with live ammo. All this so the person see's their tendency to flinch. For some unknown reason I cannot explain, it just doesn't feel right for myself to be doing this with let's say, my wife or son... I guess it has just something to do with mixing live ammo with something that wont fire... Is this a tool that a trained instructor would use ?
    I have read articles about putting a dummy round in with live ammo to demonstrate the possibility of having a dead round during a shoot out. It teaches you to quickly clear the misfired round and get back on target.
    Hope that helps.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Very much so. I use it in every class. At the range, with all safety rules observed, mixing a snap cap or dummy round in with live ammunition, will show the shooter if he/she is jerking, flinching, or anticipating recoil. When the snap cap or dummy round is struck by the firing pin. It will provide instant feedback, as the muzzle will jerk downward, but there will be no "bang", and the shooter will have this shocked look on their face....as in... "huh?" If the shooter is NOT jerking the trigger, or flinching, the muzzle will stay on target.

Very good training aid......

I have read articles about putting a dummy round in with live ammo to demonstrate the possibility of having a dead round during a shoot out. It teaches you to quickly clear the misfired round and get back on target.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info ! I can very easily see and understand your points. I guess it's more the "reloader" in me that makes it seem a little unnatural.

Wife is starting to reload herself, but I still do the majority of the loading for (3). I have always found my greatest concern is whether a "newer" shooter would always have the ability to identify a "squib", regardless if it's factory ammo or reloads. I don't know if I would be able to change gears and load something that I'm not 100% sure would clear the barrel. LOL

Being I'm probably getting old and set in my ways, this would be a great example to show one the benefits of spending a litle time and money to have newer shooters go through some good training.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It is not a good idea with the Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger Little Copied Pistol, because the firing pin is held with a hex screw that normally isn't hit, unless the firing pin doesn't strike a primer. This can cause issues after quite a few rounds. You will never have an issue, if you use snap caps. You can also use some snap caps for training of dud rounds that require a tap, rack, re-engage.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just to be VERY clear, this discussion has become a mixture of dry fire and dummy/live practice. Dry fire should be done without ammo or with snap caps/dummy rounds only and can be done in the home. Dummy/live round fire is done at the range to help newer shooters learn and overcome their flinch tendencies.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Dry firing should not damage most modern centerfire guns, if a firing pin breaks it is because it is overly brittle from bad heat treating or lack of stress relieving. In this case the pin will break reagardless of if it's falling on a primer or snap cap or nothing at all. On many guns lots of dry firing will cause the head of the pin where the hammer strikes it to become peened (mushroomed) and cause it to stick in the forward position. This can be easily repaired by turning the pin's head diameter back down in a drill or lathe. If using snap caps gives you peace of mind, then use them. I have dry fired lots of 1911s and S&W revolvers without snap caps for many years and never had a pin break. Rimfire (.22) guns generally should not be dry fired without a snap cap or empty casing in place to stop the pin from striking the edge of the chamber. Modern rimfires use a mechanical stop to prevent this (Ruger Mk IIs and some others) but it's not a bad idea to place an empty casing in the chamber to prevent damage. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendation on dry firing. Having a spare firing pin and spring on hand is a good idea.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Just to be VERY clear, this discussion has become a mixture of dry fire and dummy/live practice. Dry fire should be done without ammo or with snap caps/dummy rounds only. Dummy/live round fire is done at the range to help newer shooters learn and overcome their flinch tendencies.

VERY good distinction to make.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Hope that helps.

To go along with that, I have some snap caps and they do not cycle with normal rounds. In my glock 23 I had to remove the magazine to eject the snap cap. I mixed some of them in with my live ammo at the range to practice trigger control the other day. Its a little annoying to have to remove the mag and eject the snap cap every time one comes up. Nonetheless I think it is a good way to practice but I would recommend making your own dummy rounds if possible instead of buying snap caps.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    When I was qualifying with my glock, the instructors had us doing dryfire drills on the range

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Snap caps are primarily for dry firing. Dummy rounds will provide a means to check function as they are the same size, and weight as their caliber indicates, and will feed from a magazine properly. Some dummy rounds also provide a cushioned area for firing pin strikes.

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    I have done some serious dry firing over the years. One thing I picked up along the way from an IDPA shooter was to get a spent casing, place it on top of the front sight and pull the trigger. The idea is to gain muscle memory. If you drop the casing you are doing something wrong. Maybe jerking the trigger or maybe anticipating the trigger break. But when you can pull the trigger without droping the casing, that's about as close as you can get to perfect trigger control. Again, it's all about muscle memory, and focusing on the front sight.

I had a tendancy to twitch/flinch when I started out with a handgun. This tip helped me immensely.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom