• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I just watched a vid about dry firing your weapon. They said it wound not hurt the weapon. What are your beliefs? I always hear it would. This was said by a military weapons expert (supposably)

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    It really depends on the gun.
    1911's, Glocks, Beretta 92's and the more modern handguns will dry fire forever.
    However, I have a CZ 75 (preB) that will break the firing pin if it is dry fired.
    So, I got some snap caps. My problem was solved.

If you are worried about your particular gun or just don't know, get some snap caps.

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    This^^^^^^^ . you can get snap caps for anything from .22cal to .600NE so why not use them . there cheap insurance.:):
    :ingo:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Why do they call it "Dry Fire"??

Do you call it "Wet Fire" when you are actually shooting?

Can fire be wet?

Can fire be dry?

Dry fire because the gun is empty with no ammunition in the gun, magazine or the immediate area.

Actual shooitng is refered to as live fire as opposed to dry fire.

Centerfire pistol do not require snap caps for dry fire training and there have been thousands guys doing it for years to prove it.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I can't even imagine how many times we dry fired our weapons during grass week (the week before rifle range) in bootcamp. And I don't remember a failure/breakage of any kind during that or any of the range time I was on during my service. I wasn't in a combat MOS though so I essentially shot once a year, and that was just the AR platform, so take it for what it's worth.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I can't even imagine how many times we dry fired our weapons during grass week (the week before rifle range) in bootcamp. And I don't remember a failure/breakage of any kind during that or any of the range time I was on during my service. I wasn't in a combat MOS though so I essentially shot once a year, and that was just the AR platform, so take it for what it's worth.
    Oh, yes the good ole days.... snapping in, at USMC rifle range, and those 55 gal drums painted white, with little targets.... what fun ...

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Another "all depends on the gun" here. Some, such as Rugers, are recomended by the manufactureer to dry fire and some are recomended by the manufacturer to NOT dry fire. All depends on the design, no matter if it is a centerfire or a rimfire. A lot of rimfire revolvers have a recessed chamber so the fire pin will not peen it. I also had a NAA Guardian .32 ACP where the manual stated the firing pin will be damaged from dry fire.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It really depends on the gun.
    1911's, Glocks, Beretta 92's and the more modern handguns will dry fire forever.
    However, I have a CZ 75 (preB) that will break the firing pin if it is dry fired.
    So, I got some snap caps. My problem was solved.

If you are worried about your particular gun or just don't know, get some snap caps.

:+1: i have dry fired my glocks thousands of times with no problems.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Another "all depends on the gun" here. Some, such as Rugers, are recomended by the manufactureer to dry fire and some are recomended by the manufacturer to NOT dry fire. All depends on the design, no matter if it is a centerfire or a rimfire. A lot of rimfire revolvers have a recessed chamber so the fire pin will not peen it. I also had a NAA Guardian .32 ACP where the manual stated the firing pin will be damaged from dry fire.

Most manufacturers als o recommend against shooting reloads, and doing modifications your self or even having a gun smith do who is not employeed by the original company.

Top Bottom