• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I haven't done this. But I was curious, what do you do after you drop your firearm in water? Maybe it was a lake, a pool, whatever. What should one do?

Add some soap.

picture.php

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    Some people actually clean their guns with soap(de-greasing type) and water. You just have to make sure you get all of the water out, and oil will be your best friend afterward.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    from the time i was younger and my dad bought military guns from bradis with the cosmolene, i always used simple green on it (i was the cleaning b*tch). worked like a charm. then i oiled them up and no problems.

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    The whole reason I chose a Glock was because the guy behind the counter pulled a sweaty G19 from inside his overalls and said, "These here are made for underwater shootin. You can look it up on the internets if you don't believe me." Walked home that day with some new tupperware and a little extra confidence.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Interesting thread. Since I lost all my firearms in a tragic boating accident on the Ohio River, if they are ever found I now have my strategy for bringing them back to their former glory.

Thanks everyone. :yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The whole reason I chose a Glock was because the guy behind the counter pulled a sweaty G19 from inside his overalls and said, "These here are made for underwater shootin. You can look it up on the internets if you don't believe me." Walked home that day with some new tupperware and a little extra confidence.

That story would be more impressive it he'd put the first three shots in the bull 25 feet away and put it back in his pocket before I could get my money out.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Drop? Heck I use a hose to clean the guns I shoot ammo with corrosive primers in. Like everyone else says, just dry it off and oil it up later. Not a big deal.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You oughta try cleaning and drying an M60 after 12hrs outside in a typhoon. Especially when you cannot quit dripping into the gun you are trying to clean/dry LOL.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    You oughta try cleaning and drying an M60 after 12hrs outside in a typhoon. Especially when you cannot quit dripping into the gun you are trying to clean/dry LOL.

Some of our M60 gunners used to take a shower with their MG...claimed it was the best way to start cleaning them.

Personally I think they were taking the whole "your weapon is your best friend" thing a little too far....:nuts:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I was once on an impromptu river raft trip down the Salt river outside Phoenix...had a S&W Model 38 in my waistband...After the trip, totally dissasembled, toothbrush and WD-40, dried with blowdryer, reassembled, no problems! All of us black powder shooters clean our pistols and rifles with soap, water and vinegar, bake them dry in a toaster oven, works like a charm! And you should clean the barrels of your rifles with Windex with vinegar after shooting corrosive ammo, then oil lightly....

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

You aren't the local fella I heard of that just had to try it out are you? He decided to jump into chest deep water and crank a few rounds off with the gun close to his body. As the story goes, he was peeing blood for a while from the thumping the concussions gave his kidneys.

Best,

Joe

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    You aren't the local fella I heard of that just had to try it out are you? He decided to jump into chest deep water and crank a few rounds off with the gun close to his body. As the story goes, he was peeing blood for a while from the thumping the concussions gave his kidneys.

Best,

Joe

Nope, haven't tried it. Did take a two day canoe trip recently with my G19 sitting quietly on my starboard hip. Luckily, we never capsized and the minor splashes wiped right off. But I have read somewhere on here that the plastic my gun is made of is water resistant up to a million meters. It's be cool to see a bullet path at that depth.

Top Bottom