• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I want to be a mall (woods) ninja.

...and I'm looking for something for camping that won't interfere with my pack straps, including the seatbelt.

Anyone use the Blackhawk Spec Ops holster?

I think the idea of a flap over the gun isn't a bad. Not quite CC, but better than
    assault-rifle.jpg

I'm a little hesitant about soft sided holsters though. Any thoughts?

....actually I don't even know how well compact glock would fit, but I'm still interested in opinions.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    The Marine Corps issues the blackhawk drop legs to officers, and some weapons plt guys in my unit (along with navy corpsmen). I have tried one, and when you have it set up right it works pretty well and doesn't rotate too much on your leg. They are also nice because you can put the blackhawk mag pouched on the drop leg platform so that you have them close by. They are not in the best position for speed reloads, but they are still handy. With the serpa lock, the compact will fit just as well as the full size, and the sub-compact.
    I don't have any experience with any other good brands, but I have a cheep one and it is a POS. It rotates on your leg, and the holster isn't formed for any specific gun so it slides around a lot. I would go for something that is at least made for the model of gun you are going to be carrying.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    +1 for blackhawk in my hummble opinion..

The trick I found was with getting one to set right where you wanted it.

It sounds silly but if you should adjust it for each pair of trousers you wear it with, learn which ones fit better, if your a BDU or Tac pant wearer, some pockets are in the way when you position it where your hand if comfortable. That means you loose the ready use of that pocket.. Or it might push the holster around to one side or make it slide around..

Oh and as with anything, practice drawing from different positions, as well as reholstering..

just my two pennies, remember I don't know anything..

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I actually carry in a Serpa Lock Blackhawk daily anyways, so that's interesting.

The dual vertical straps seem appealing, but also a lot going on. 40 bucks though, not a bad deal.

Safariland 6004 anyone? I have one for my 1911 that was given to me, but haven't actually used its outside the house. Seems like it would roll around a bit.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    The Blackhawk Serpa(1911) is awesome , I wear mine around the yard & it gets looks but is solid & doesnt move around as much as others Ive tried.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Please tell me you're kidding... you don't seriously wear a drop leg holster to the mall!? Just a warning... the guy pointing and laughing is ME!
    B
    Believe that was a joking mall,ninja reference...ergo the seriously after....but who knows.

Sounds like blackhawk will,be the answer then, for me.

I have an old model serpa, we'll see if it jams up

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    B
    Believe that was a joking mall,ninja reference...ergo the seriously after....but who knows.

Sounds like blackhawk will,be the answer then, for me.

I have an old model serpa, we'll see if it jams up

I hope it was :D Haven't used the blackhawk drop leg, however I have used their Serpa holster and am not a fan. There are a lot better holsters and ways to retain a gun and access it quickly. I'm a fan of Safariland myself but again haven't had experience with either brands drop leg rigs.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    BLACKHAWK!, Blade-Tech, and Safariland are the three best out there. With BLACKHAWK! if you want a light on your pistol, I am 99.99% sure (from looking through the catalog) that you can only use their Xiphos, which is bulky, and doesn't put out much light. Blade-Tech and Safariland both have multiple options for pistol/light combos. I know you didn't say anything about a light, but I do incorporate a weapon light into my system, so those are the ones I look at.
    For concealed carry in the summer time, i like an IWB holster. For colder weather, I will go with a high ride OWB. For hiking, and multi gun shooting, I like the drop leg.

Top Bottom