• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    So...my father took his dogs for a walk yesterday morning as usual at around 7:20am

Almost back to the house, he about **** his pants as a BUFFALO started coming at him, and was in our front yard
    Now my old man doesn't believe in "small calibers", he carries a smithy 44 mag 6"(yea I know, I think the old man has watched dirty harry one too many damn times...but on this day...it came in handy).
    His bigger dog went ape **** into full on attack mode(very overprotective german shepard), dad was pretty shaken, he thought his GSD going nuts might 'set off' the buffalo.
    Anyhow, he drew his weapon(not that I'm sure a 44 will do **** to a 1800lb buffalo), called me, and I went over there ASAP. I grabbed the FN FAL and we basically had a staring contest with this beast for 15 min while a vet came out to take the buffalo down. Dad's GSD was within 2 feet of the buffalo, and the cops were still in their squad cars doing jack ****
    anim_pissed.gif

Police were already all over the scene, apparently a farmer's buffalo got roudy and got loose.

And that my friends, is the tale of the buffalo who attacked my dad's house. Buffalo tracks still in the front yard

Video from news media [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNowUGSImFw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNowUGSImFw[/ame]

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Um too bad. I love the taste of buffalo. Too bad the early americans had to kill the buffalo for their hides.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    A 44 will only **** off a buffalo.

Some friends of friends asked us to help butcher a couple buffalo they raised. Only head shots were to be taken as to not tear up the meat.
    It's amazing seeing a buffalo get back up after taking a 44 between the eyes.
    6 shots of 44 mag behind the ears killed one.
    A 7mm RemMag to the noggin doesn't even kill one.
    They are tough.

If there is a next time, maybe an armor piercing round will do the trick as we aren't hunting them. LOL

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Ok, that would be a time where I'd be hoping I"ve got one of my mosins with some of the steel core rounds with me.... at the very least my sks with the armor piercing ammo I've got for it.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    i think i would be more scared of a buffalo than a person, but i may be wrong...

Here's a little trivia from Wiki.
    "Between 1978 and 1992, nearly five times as many people in Yellowstone National Park were killed or injured by bison as by bears (12 by bears, 56 by bison). Bison also have the unexpected agility, given the animal's size and body structure, to leap over a standard barbed-wire fence."

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    So what were they supposed to do? I'm sure they weren't carrying pistols or rifles of a caliber large enough to put down a buffalo with one shot.

oh i don't know, how about warn the residents there was a buffalo loose since they had time to shutdown highway 50 BOTH ways chit chatting with each other in their cars....:n00b::n00b:

My neighbor was scared ****less and had her dog in the yard while a 1800lb buffalo was tearing the **** out of the neighborhood.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    oh i don't know, how about warn the residents there was a buffalo loose since they had time to shutdown highway 50 BOTH ways chit chatting with each other in their cars....

The girl in the video said she was warned. Who didn't they warn? How many cops work in Versailles? They showed a Batesville PD car on the news clip. Are they supposed to shut down traffic, or let traffic flow and go door to door? How long would that have taken (I dunno how many people live in that town)?

My neighbor was scared ****less and had her dog in the yard while a 1800lb buffalo was tearing the **** out of the neighborhood.

What did the buffalo tear up? The news story said nothing about that? Why was your neighbor scared? If the buffalo was causing damage to her property, why didn't she shoot it? Are you saying you would have been OK with the cops shooting it (if they had shotguns or rifles)? I am sure if the cops had shot it, we would have some posting on here about how trigger happy cops kill wandering buffalo. Did the buffalo cause serious damage, or are we talking small areas of people's yards torn up or some flowers in the flower bed smashed?

Here's a little trivia from Wiki.
    "Between 1978 and 1992, nearly five times as many people in Yellowstone National Park were killed or injured by bison as by bears (12 by bears, 56 by bison). Bison also have the unexpected agility, given the animal's size and body structure, to leap over a standard barbed-wire fence."

When I went to Yellowstone, idiots were _way_ too close to these wild animals. I made sure I stayed way back from them. They were on their migration for the winter. We were in one area where you go over a small staircase/walkway and you see some of the sulfur mud pools. The bison was a good 25 yards away, but they were coming our way, slowly at that time. We took our photos of the area and walked back to the parking lot. By the time we got back to our van, we looked back and the bison was standing on the boardwalk where we had been. They can actually move a little quicker than folks realize. I saw at least a couple of idiots get too close for photos.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    Never shoot between the eyes. Shoot about 3" above the eyes and it will hit the brain. Between the eyes will only past under the brain.

Top Bottom