• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Never used one myself, but I have heard and read very good reviews about them. Check out some of the videos on youtube. There is a lot of info there.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    When you start looking you should know that there is a major difference between Dragunovs, and "Romanian Dragunovs". The Romanian is an SVD and is a larger version of an AK-47, and uses similar bolt geometry. As a result you can't regularly shoot anything larger than the 145gr surplus ammo (commercial ammo is available in that weight as well). Shooting a lot of 180gr bullets will cause the bolt to fail. That being said, they are still pretty durable if you use them right.

A real Dragunov has a much different bolt and will eat anything. The Dragunovs run about double the prive of an SVD.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I shot the same one paperboy shot, very little recoil, about the same as a SKS.
    A lot less than a Mosin. We were shooting it at the 25yd. range.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    My par of 7.62x54R's.

Comparedto my Mossin M44 - typical flamethrower and sonic boomer as other M44's. Probably the hardest recoil rifle I shoot.

While I have a Tigr which has no flash suppressor and 4" less barrel than a true Dragunov and imported as a hunting rifle - it still is incredibility accurate and just plain fun to shoot. Bowling pins stand no chance @ 200-300 yards in rapid firing. It is one of the softest shooting rifles I have. In fact it is so soft and light - I am probably going after whitetail in Michigan with this year.

Both launch surplus & Wolf ammo just fine - they both really like Silver Bear 203gr SP's. The only real downfall for me is the price of mags. 5 rounders go for around $60 and 10 rounders I have seen as high as over $100 each.

Keep in mind that if your looking to purchase not to expect to find one for under 2K at the very least - likely closer to $2500-$2800. Do not confuse with PSL's and SVD's which are entirely different rifles - the PSL being very, very much less of a rifle.

dsc04548p.jpg

dew409

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Northeast, Dekalb Co.
    I did some research and the only true Dragunov's were made in Russia and China. Importation was banned in the late 80's, I believe. The price on a real one has gone up a lot. I was interested in A Cz or Romanian one until I read the differences. Still a fine looking rifle.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I shot a mosin and a dragunov yesterday. The mosin feels a lot more primitive. It kicks like a mule. Fun gun to shoot though. The dragunov felt more refined. It shot beautifully. It just felt right. Lol. I have no idea about its accuracy as I only shot it twice.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    if you already have a mosin and want something kinda neat get this.
    Picture479-1.jpg

You're kinda stuck when it comes to mags, but an AK sized PSL just seems neat

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    A few things:

True Drags are VERy hard to find now and expensive at that. Lots of folks are trying to pass the PSL as a "Romanian Dragunov". Not even close.

The PSL is a more than serviceable arm. Decently accurate with milsurp and pretty darn good with handloads. More of a designated marksman rifle (same as the true Drags): That being said, dont expect wonders out of the rifle in the accuracy department compared to a tuned Remmy 700 or something. Not designed for that, just a reliable, decently accurate puncher for rapid, but aimed supressive fire.

The PSL is pretty cool, decent scope too. Dont use "heavy ball" in it, it will batter itself to death (the reason the drag is cooler than the PSL is that it uses a special gas piston to compensate for heavy and light ball, keeping the action unbattered and safe).

There is a former USSR telescopic that has a special port on top: If still working: One only has to unscrew it, shine a flashlight for a few seconds into it, then close it back up. A flip of a little handle and a special screen comes down over the reticle that is sensitive to IR beams. Shine a car door fob or remote infront of it and you will see a line shining back to the source of the beam. It was made to counteract the night vision of the time without issuing their own. Can't remember the model number right now... :(

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    You are definitely right about the price increase on the true Dragunovs. I can remember several years ago that they were going for $700-800 and now are $2000 and above. I have heard the SVD being described as an AK on steroids and some unscrupulous vendors might try to peddle one off as a Dragunov or at least not tell you the difference since to many, unless you can see them side by side, will not know the difference. I would like to have one, but can't justify it right now. You certainly could not confuse the 7.62x54R with a .308 or a .30-06 if you put all the ammo in the same box. People complain about the prices of Ruger's mini-14 factory mags. Just try to find a bargain on the dragunov mags. Good luck.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    PSL

There are a few on AR15.com for sale reeeaaal cheap, better get on it, the bastard wont trade worth a darn but the prices are good.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have another question that I am actually going to request anyone's opinion on:

Which firearm would you think to be the most accurate at 300+ yards if we made as many things equal as possible--typical military decent quality ball ammo produced for weapon, all shooting off the bench, similar optics and the same shooter with average skills. Which one of these, in your knowledgeable opinion would shoot the best---1) a Soviet SVD, 2) a DPMS .308 LR, 3) a Sprinfield Armory National Match M1A or 4) a Savage 110LE in .308 with the long heavy target barrel? Please no comments on my choice of weapons. Just give me your opinions on the ones that I have provided. Thank you.

Top Bottom