• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Just a heads up for anyone wanting to see the meteor shower. They will be coming from the Constellation Draco the Dragon.

From Earthsky.org

Tonight | EarthSky

11Oct08a_430.jpeg

Tomorrow night should be a good night as well.

Given that, I might go up to Lake Michigan tonight and try to see some, and tomorrow night maybe I will head to Jasper-Pulaski. If anybody wants to join, I have no problem.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Chilly? It's 89F and I'm sweating like mad!

it's actually a gorgeous area here. I can see the Milky Way pretty well. Hoping for meteors!

Last edited:

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm usually on top of things like this but have been busy and sick to boot. Guess I'll have to try to pull it together for a bit and do a little sky watching.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I live about 3 miles out of downtown Indy. No way am I going to be able to see anything. I'm lucky that I can actually see a few stars at all tonight. I think I counted 6

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I got the telescope out to poke around the sky for a bit while waiting to see some meteors. Nothing special streaked across my sky but then again there was probably too much light pollution.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I didn't make it last night, but headed out for a few with the Niece. I got to see one before she got too cold. There is decent light pollution from Chicago and other small towns around me. I did see something that was very interesting that streaked across the sky. I seen to me what was a U.F.O. I am not saying it was Alien, but could not figure out what I seen. I seen a orange glowing ball streak across the sky. It wasn't a plane as it was going to fast (roughly twice the speed of an airliner) Had no wings, and no flashing lights. Just an orange glow. It went from West to East. My niece who is 5 said it was a bird, but i can't see a bird lighting up in the night sky. There was no movement to the object just a glowing light.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    I didn't make it last night, but headed out for a few with the Niece. I got to see one before she got too cold. There is decent light pollution from Chicago and other small towns around me. I did see something that was very interesting that streaked across the sky. I seen to me what was a U.F.O. I am not saying it was Alien, but could not figure out what I seen. I seen a orange glowing ball streak across the sky. It wasn't a plane as it was going to fast (roughly twice the speed of an airliner) Had no wings, and no flashing lights. Just an orange glow. It went from West to East. My niece who is 5 said it was a bird, but i can't see a bird lighting up in the night sky. There was no movement to the object just a glowing light.

International Space Station was visible from West to East at 8:29 tonight for about 3 minutes. I'm pretty certain that's what you saw.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    International Space Station was visible from West to East at 8:29 tonight for about 3 minutes. I'm pretty certain that's what you saw.

I can say with 100% certainty that was not it. I came back inside at 815 and that moves slower and is smaller than what I seen. I don't know what I saw though. Can be certain, I have never seen that before in all my years looking at the sky.

Unidentified 'fast' lights return to night skies - Hawkes Bay Today - Hawke's Bay Today News

That kind of describes what I have seen. Except for the 3 minutes of watching. To me it was more like 25 seconds. Does anybody know what a surveillance drone looks like at night?

Top Bottom