• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So within a matter of only a few days we have sent TWO .308 dpms ar's back to dpms... neither would feed even after proper adjustments of the feed lips (dpms said they had a bad batch of mags get out) and neither would fire more than a few rounds without a failure to fire when the bolt failed to go all the way into battery.... further neither gun would cycle rounds by hand and when it would it was nearly impossible to eject the live round even when using two hands.

both guns were purchased by different people at different locations, on was an AP4 and one was a sportical. both were made post election.

That said has anyone else had any bad experiences or heard anything about DPMS not test firing the guns that they have been rushing out the door?

this makes me very skeptical to purchase anything dpms makes in .308 caliber.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've had more QC problems with DPMS than with all other brands combined. I will no longer use lower parts kits from DPMS and actively recommend that people avoid them because I've had problems with more of them than not.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had more QC problems with DPMS than with all other brands combined. I will no longer use lower parts kits from DPMS and actively recommend that people avoid them because I've had problems with more of them than not.

Good info. to have.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I have bought one DPMS LPK and it was missing parts and had wrong length springs in it. Needless to say, I didn't use it and haven't bought any DPMS stuff since.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    please tell me its not true. ihave 2 dpms; lr308 and lr223, both were bought new by me year ago and with new triggers have been excellent shooters. was looking forward to more from this company. had also heard same about rock river, anybody else?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do a few bad apples get out the door at DPMS? Sure. But at the manufacturing pace everyone was going at this past year, it's going to happen. A missing part or two in an LPK? It happens with other makers, too (I sold 12+ Stag LPKs that were missing parts - called Stag up, they fixed it same day by shipping the part direct to my customers).

Should bad parts get out? No. What I would judge them on is how they stand behind their product. How do they respond when you ID a QC problem.

DPMS is a good company, making an overall good product, that supports the shooting sports.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I have enjoyed shooting cases and cases through both my DPMS's - no problems at all. Both are fine shooters and would only change brands to get a piston-style AR.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have had issues with out of spec LPKs, and LPKs missing parts with DPMS kit.

I try to avoid them, as there are far better AR mfgs out there.

That said, if I wanted a .308 AR platform gun, it would be the LaRue OSR.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've seen brand new guns by about every manufacturer I can think of sent back for repair. Does that make them all bad? Sometimes bad parts are supplied by subcontractors. Other times mistakes are made and not caught by QC. What I've found that separates the good companies from the bad is how the repairs are handled. I hate to see some people here paint with such a wide brush and label all products by any one manufacturer to be faulty. Obviously there are many happy Panther Arms (DPMS) customers or the company wouldn't have survived this long.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i would agree with slow1911. you are going to get some problems on occasion, nobody is perfect. but if the company makes it right in a reasonable amount of time then you can stick with them imho.

Top Bottom