• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Trying to find a local source for something like the Big Jammer, door brace.

Have a female friend whose roommate just moved out, and now that she's alone, is terrified of going to sleep at night. She's got ADT scheduled 2 weeks out.

I mentioned getting a door brace, and she's into that. So, where can we find some locally?

She's also supposed to come over to shoot some of my hand guns, and see if she wants to go that route as well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I have a home in a nightmarish area (inner city indy), when Im done screwing with it, we'll have locks, but also

DoubleDoorBrace_Large.jpg

Is the basic concept.

And for show, she can just 'hang' a fence on the inside of the window - Wont stop anyone, but may give the impression of not being ABLE to.

She does need a gun, though.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Trying to find a local source for something like the Big Jammer, door brace.

Have a female friend whose roommate just moved out, and now that she's alone, is terrified of going to sleep at night. She's got ADT scheduled 2 weeks out.

I mentioned getting a door brace, and she's into that. So, where can we find some locally?

She's also supposed to come over to shoot some of my hand guns, and see if she wants to go that route as well.

im rentable :):

no seriously, i think theres a tool store (on the south side) has something like what your looking for. maybe its harbor freight or something? its the same place STEVE (msg2) was telling us where he got his shtf tools at.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Lowes sells U shape big thick brackets to put on each side of your door. Use lag bolts into the frame and a 2x4 to go across the door or a thick pipe.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Keith,

If she owns her home, I can show her how to secure her doors for under $5.00 @. Did mine years ago and sleep quite soundly. Feel free to have her contact me.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Keith,

If she owns her home, I can show her how to secure her doors for under $5.00 @. Did mine years ago and sleep quite soundly. Feel free to have her contact me.

I for one would love to hear what you have to say as I am sure others here would!

Please share!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Keith,

We own our home, I'd love to hear your tip.

Found the door brace at Lowes, thanks for confirming it was there. Looked online, and couldn't find it listed on their site.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    To those of you who have asked, here you go.

Cheap, but effective door security:

1. Purchase 2 eye screws at least 3" long with an eye diameter of 3/4" minimum. 1 steel rod at least 6" longer then the width of the door you are securing and just a bit smaller in diameter then the eye screws. All of these can be had at any hardware store for under $5.00.

2. Drill a pilot hole into the 2x4s of both sides of the door jam (not the trim. You may have to go thru the trim to get to the door jam.) Place these holes about 34" - 36" from the floor. Position them so the the cross bar will be 2" - 3" above the doorknob. Drill both pilot holes at the same height on either side of the door.

3. Screw the eye screws into the pilot holes being careful to keep them straight and level.You will need a long handled screwdriver to act as a lever to get them all the way in for the last inch or so. Screw them into the door trim until they just touch it. When you're finished, be sure that both eye screws are vertical to the trim.

4. Slide your steel rod thru the eyes of both eye screws. Allow it to extend 2" or more beyond the eye screw.and you're done.

Keep in mind, this procedure only works on doors that open INWARD towards you! :):

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Home Depot sells brackets that you can drop a 2X4 or 2X6 into as a cross door brace.

Like you used to see in all the frontier movies in the forts and frontier cabins except made of plated steel.

I used them to make a drop in gate on my front porch to keep the dogs corraled.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i skipped reading most of the posts. if shes cute,single, blonde i got a room for her. cheap... very cheap rent.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom