Dont know a lot on pistols, what is a good gun to carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    I have a springfield 9mm i keep at the house but dont really want to carry a gun that size. Ive always been more into rifles but would like a smaller gun to carry, what does everyone recommend? I hear alot of people say .380 but kinda wonder if it wouldnt be wise to go with something a little bigger.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    You'll get a lot of "whatever you're most comfortable with", and that is the correct answer.

If you want some models to look at, try a Smith & Wesson M&P compact, Springfield XD compact/subcompact, or a compact Glock model. A good belt and holster will make carrying a regular sized gun quite comfortable.

If you want really small, like pocket carry size, check out the S&W Bodyguard series, or the Ruger LCP/LCR/LC9.

Common carry calibers are .380, 9mm, .40, and .45.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I like my trusty Glock 26 which is 9mm. I find any sub-compact handgun comfortable to carry. I can conceal it very easily. Try out other similar handguns like the SRC, M&P C, Springfield XDM (3.8). I haven't shot these, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. These handguns would be just fine for carry. Though any sub-compact Glock get's my recommendation. I call it the best handgun for conceal carry. Be sure to try these at the range. Consider everyone's recommendation, though be sure to try as many as you can. Pick what feels most comfortable for you. The right handgun for me, might not be the right handgun for you.

IMO and good luck, Gulley

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Before you decide on a sub compact glock, see if you can get a good grip on it to draw from a holster.

The problem I had with those was that I couldn't get a grip on them to draw with very easily, even though they shot great.

Stepping up to the normal compact size gave me the added size to consistently draw, and still be totally concealable.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Again, carry something that you're comfortable with...and since you will be trusting it with your life it should be something you're proficient with....that requires a lot of practice and ammo

I carry a full size beretta, but that's a full size gun....try something like a Glock 19....it's about the most popular world wide carry pistol.....it's a "mid-sized" gun....a step down from full size and step of from sub-compact....many makers put out "mid-sized" or compact models...but if you still feel they are too big then look into sub-compacts.......

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My personal recommendation is what I carry: A double-action only J-Frame sized 38 Special revolver rated for +P ammunition with a Lasersight.
    Mine is a S&W 342 with lasergrips.
    I carry it in my strong side pants pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

I can rest my hand on my gun if things look questionable without alarming anyone or telegraphing my intent to draw.
    I can shoot accurately from the hip.
    I can keep the gun close to my body and need not raise it to eye level and expose it to a possible gun grab.
    Practice is relatively cheap with Winchester White box 130 grain FMJ having a point of impact relatively close to both 125 grain and 110 grain defensive loads.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My two (or three or four...) cents:

The .380 (aka 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurtz, 9mm Browning, 9mm Short, 9x17mm) comes up short in terminal ballistic performance per Dr. Gary K. Roberts, Letterman Army Institute of Research.
    BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums
    but it beats "Please don't hurt me!"

However, given the choice, the 9mm is a better choice, and there are many subcompact 9mm guns "out there." Personal preference based on overall reliability: the Glock 26 (add Pearce mag. extensions to have a place for the pinky finger) or the S&W M&P compact 9mm models.

For what it is worth...

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Where are you located? Grab a bunch of ammo in the caliber you want (9,40,45), and see if any INGO members in your AO would be willing to let you have some trigger time on whatever they own. That way you're sure to get a variety of experience, the sales pitch for each one from someone who carries one, and you'll get to meet some good people.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    glock 26 is what i would recommend, but dont let anyone discourage you from a 380. I carry one in the hot summer months. While the 380 may not be a powerhouse it is clearly capable of doing the job as long as you can hit the mark.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    See how a Kahr CM9 or CW9 feel to you, they are Excellent small 9mm's.

+1,000
    For someone new to carry, these would be my recommendations. They are very good quality, inexpensive guns, with very few controls. I love Glocks, but often find myself reaching for a thinner, lighter pistol like the CW (mine is actually a Walther PPS) due to ease of carry. You won't have to try and master two different trigger pulls, and these will be very comfortable with decent gear.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My two (or three or four...) cents:

The .380 (aka 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurtz, 9mm Browning, 9mm Short, 9x17mm) comes up short in terminal ballistic performance per Dr. Gary K. Roberts, Letterman Army Institute of Research.
    BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums
    but it beats "Please don't hurt me!"

However, given the choice, the 9mm is a better choice, and there are many subcompact 9mm guns "out there." Personal preference based on overall reliability: the Glock 26 (add Pearce mag. extensions to have a place for the pinky finger) or the S&W M&P compact 9mm models.

For what it is worth...

I would have to agree with the comments about the .380 as a primary carry gun.

My normal carry gun is a .45, but there are times when I just can't dress to cover a 45 caliber 1911 so on those rare occasions I will carry one of my little .380 pocket pistols. Its not ideal, and it probably won't stop a drugged out assailant, but its better than nothing.

As for 9mm choices, there are plenty that have been mentioned in this thread, and lots that have not been mentioned yet. Consider also the ParaUSA "Carry9" pistol or the Kimber SOLO CARRY. The Kimber is smaller, the Para is a nice size and easy to shoot. Also take very serious look at the CZ 75C or CZ 75D, both are exceptional pistols, very reliable and very well designed.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Any gun that is affordable for you, reliable, the correct size for your body type, and conceals well.

You should handle several at a gun shop /show and shoot the finalists, if possible, at a range that rents one or find a member who owns one to have a range day with.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Don't count out the Glock 27 (40 cal.) It's the same frame as the 26 (9mm) and I don't think the recoil is any worse. I've found that the Speer 124g +p 9mm has the same snap as the Speer 180g .40. I didn't plan on having my 27 as my main carry but it has worked out that way. It's just as accurate as the 23 and 22 at 10 yds. I can carry it on my hip then easily stick it in an ankle holster during the course of a day when I absolutely have to deep conceal then put it back on my hip.

Without getting into a caliber discussion I read tha the .40 and .45

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I've been wanting to look more at the Beretta Nano against the PF-9 lately. I have a full size pisto, too, but as I might be moving to AR soon I'll never be able to carry it (CC only). I was looking at the Compact/ super compact pistols but really changed my mind when I saw how thick they were.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I would suggest the Glock 19 or 26, depending on the arrangement you like better. They are both more accurate than you, very reliable, and very easy to conceal with a good holster and belt.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Alot of guys that carry a .380 carry it as a backup for their larger gun. And some people that carry tiny guns can't hit the broad side of a barn with them...from inside the barn:) I would suggest you try a different holster for your XD.

Top Bottom