Don't carry if you don't have your LTCH card on you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Last week, my wallet was stolen and in it was my LTCH card. I went down to the Indy City County building on Friday (I was already downtown) to apply for a replacement card. The only way to renew is online apparently as the lady in the Firearms License office told.

However, she also told me "Be sure not to carry your firearm until you received your replacement card (up to 6 weeks) as it is illegal for you to carry if you do not have your card with you".

I did not argue with her...but REALLY? I cannot imagine this is actually true. So, because some lowlife stole my wallet, now I have to go up to 6 weeks without my CCW? Gotta be BS.

Any LEO's here that can tell me if this is true?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It isn't true and it's something we've discussed here on INGO any number of times. If a cop wants to know if you have one he can access the records himself. It's no big hassle. The woman was dead wrong. As long as you are still a person in good standing and your license has not been revoked you can carry without a license on you.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A year or two ago, this was true. The language was changed from "in possession" to "without being licensed".

My little pink card is in my wallet. So, if I have my wallet, I have my card. If I don't, I don't.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A year or two ago, this was true. The language was changed from "in possession" to "without being licensed".

My little pink card is in my wallet. So, if I have my wallet, I have my card. If I don't, I don't.

This. Her information is outdated.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I figured this was the case. Idiotic bureaucrats....and this lady WORKED IN THE FIREARMS LICENSE OFFICE!!!

Glad I had INGO to set the record straight.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I figured this was the case. Idiotic bureaucrats....and this lady WORKED IN THE FIREARMS LICENSE OFFICE!!!

Glad I had INGO to set the record straight.

They are secretaries. They get no legal training, they get no update training, etc. I had to argue with one who didn't want to fingerprint my wife for her LTCH when it was optional to go do the electronic ones. I've also contacted their supervisor many years ago when they were telling people it was ok to carry on an expired license. Like paralegals who think they are lawyers, they sometimes forget their level of expertise.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is one reasone to have a few copies at home. When I received my paper license I got a pink peice of paper and made some copies. They reside in my safe and in a filing cabinet.

Not sure what you can do with the new plastic cards.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    However, she also told me "Be sure not to carry your firearm until you received your replacement card (up to 6 weeks) as it is illegal for you to carry if you do not have your card with you".

1. Incorrect. (Cut her some slack).

2. When you get a replacement, slap your pink card down on the copier and make white copies to carry in your range bag, your car(s), perhaps one in the safe. Ensure that you tell the cop that "this is a copy, I left the original at home, but I have a LTCH/permit/Larry/whatever."

3. Best practice is to carry your Larry on you. Confused cop=arresty cop.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    1. Incorrect. (Cut her some slack).

2. When you get a replacement, slap your pink card down on the copier and make white copies to carry in your range bag, your car(s), perhaps one in the safe. Ensure that you tell the cop that "this is a copy, I left the original at home, but I have a LTCH/permit/Larry/whatever."

3. Best practice is to carry your Larry on you. Confused cop=arresty cop.

Aren't they plastic now?

Top Bottom