Dog Keeps Killing Critters. Diseases Around Wabash?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

In the past two weeks, my dog (part Husky, part wolf, part GSD, part yellow lab) has killed one mouse, which she brought to me, one large rabbit, which she also brought to me, and this morning, two raccoon.

So, I'm a bit concerned for a couple reasons. First, my dog is a bit overweight. I've got her losing and since it's no longer winter, I can work with her some more. However, I see no way she could catch a rabbit.

Further, the two raccoon were within a couple feet of each other, right where she killed them. Actually one was still a bit alive with a broken back, so I put two .45 slugs in each of them to end the one's suffering and to make sure the other one was indeed dead.

I've never even heard of a dog tangling with one, let alone two, raccoons and not coming away at least a bit bloody. Granted, these were young 'coons, not kits any longer, but still growing. But still... all I heard was one squeal - Nikki made no noise - and went out to find the lil' bandits.

Now, I don't keep any food or anything out, and the yard is fenced even though I live in the country, so I do not know what drove two raccoons to climb the fence into territory frequented by two predators.

I don't mind the pest control, but I'd rather my dog not get sick from it, either.

There is a brain worm in the raccoons here and I'm told rabies are mainly carried by bats, and my dog is immunized against both.

Still, there's some concern.

Anyone know more than I about what, if anything, is plaguing Northern Indiana critters?

Thanks,

Josh

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Can't think of anything off the top of my head. You might check with your vet. If your dog takes to eating some of its catch you'll want to see about worming it more often. I used to have to do that with my outdoor cats. Lots of worms out there.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Hi Josh, I'm from N. of Wabash...seems I've been seeing alot of coons, espicially small ones lately on the roads a.m. Seems an abundance of them, maybe because fur prices were really bad last yr. so alot of guys weren't out in force with their coon dogs trying to make a buck....over population does tend to stir up things,,,,mainly mange an distemper more than rabies. I had a cocker spaniel that would jump full grown groundhogs an coons an not get a scratch...give your dog some credit! ha.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Young coons that have not had a run in with dogs may not have the fear in them yet. Maybe there were say 3 of them and now one has a fear of dogs. Survival of the fittest or most paranoid.

As far as rabies goes I know it was bad 3 years ago in the east coast. They were trying to keep it out of Ohio by dropping poison meals for the local coons and coyotes. I have not heard of it around here in many years.

As far as a fat dog getting a rabbit. Even the ugly fat girl at the bar gets laid every once in a while.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Yep. We had a cocker spaniel too and he would also do in groundhogs and coons without a scratch. He was a great mole eliminator. He would lay by the mole run for an hour or more waiting for some movement, then bam a quick blurr and the mole would be flung into the air, then dispatched. Of course he had to bring us his handy work.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I had a Yellow lab that would tear up cats, raccoons, possums, muskrats, snakes, and on 3 occasions a skunk. Never got a scratch on him. Some dogs are just Bada$$ at killing.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I got a Akita that kills for sport, I find all kinds of rodents in the back yard including birds she has somehow caught. She does not eat any of them.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    You've got a wolf retriever with the home turf protection instinct of a german shepherd and the mental endurance of a husky.

Sounds to me like you've got the perfect backyard critter gitter machine. This isn't going to end anytime soon....lol.

There is an "epidemic" of rabies in the raccoon populations in Indiana right now and I will say that fleas this year seem to be ridiculous compared to years past. Fur prices are back on the rise so maybe some folks will get back to knocking out a few of these darling creatures.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I got a Akita that kills for sport, I find all kinds of rodents in the back yard including birds she has somehow caught. She does not eat any of them.

+1 Great dog! Akitas are underestimated dogs. They'll kill anything critter-wise that comes in their territory and they're good at it. I knew a lady who's son took a friend's Akita to the dog park. A pit bull got too close the the Akita. The Akita lifted it's paw and hit the pit bull on the head with it's paw and knocked the pit unconscious. I've never heard of a dog punching out another dog but this Akita did it.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    +1 Great dog! Akitas are underestimated dogs. They'll kill anything critter-wise that comes in their territory and they're good at it. I knew a lady who's son took a friend's Akita to the dog park. A pit bull got too close the the Akita. The Akita lifted it's paw and hit the pit bull on the head with it's paw and knocked the pit unconscious. I've never heard of a dog punching out another dog but this Akita did it.
    Yes they are that way, when we where in training with her she could not be around other dogs. We where told that they are pretty much intolerant of other dogs. She shows no fear. We have a cat and she just ignores it. Trainer said if she wanted it dead it would be dead.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hello,

In the past two weeks, my dog (part Husky, part wolf, part GSD, part yellow lab) has killed one mouse, which she brought to me, one large rabbit, which she also brought to me, and this morning, two raccoon.

There is a brain worm in the raccoons here and I'm told rabies are mainly carried by bats, and my dog is immunized against both.

Still, there's some concern.

Anyone know more than I about what, if anything, is plaguing Northern Indiana critters?

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

Were the coons out in the daytime? If so, you probably have a good reason to be concerned, it is not healthy normal behavior.

My dog and my brother's dog killed a coon in the daytime together years ago. It turned out that the coon was rabid, the dogs were ok, but my brother who carried the dead coon home by the tail had to have the rabies series (no one has survived rabies, so no risk was taken and rarely rabies has been contracted without being bitten).

I suggest findin out what was wrong with the coons IF they were out in the daytime, if not then your dog may just be closet killer.

Best regards,

Terry

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Im going to presume you have had the dog to the vet for all of the shots you should get if your a responsible pet owner?? The vet can also awnser Q's about the other items Id think. We take our kids to Purdue. Best place in the country.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Beyond what the others have said, start keeping your eye on the dog until you get some more answers. You don't want to find out this dog actually does have rabies when he's gnawing on your leg. I think the time course of rabies in animals is pretty short, so you would've already found out, but I wouldn't take a chance.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks folks.

Nikki has had all her shots etc etc. The raccoons were out before dawn - I had to use a flashlight. No concern there.

A while back, incidentally while I was loading her up for a vet appointment, a raccoon came walking out in broad daylight. Nikki took off after it, it tried to scamper up a tree, Nikki jumped up and grabbed it by its tail and flung it. She took off after it as it tried to run, and I got there with 1911 drawn as it turned onto its back. I don't remember now how many shots I took, but I believe it was around five before I stopped. The first one killed it, but I wanted to make sure - it was out in the daytime.

The vet said that it most likely had the brain worm, and that due to my dog's deworming, I was at more risk than she was.

Josh

Top Bottom