Does the manufacture date of a gun matter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Should I try to get a P226 stainless elite with the newest manufacture date I can, or is it not really important/doesnt matter at all?

Is a few months difference a big deal? For example, I can get a new stainless elite p226 with a really recent manufacture date if i wait a bit (out of stock at the site I prefer), or I can wait and get one now, which might have an older (probably a few months difference) manufacture date.

I'm pretty new to all this gun stuff so I'm trying to see if newer = better like it does with a lot of todays stuff.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It sometimes does matter, but often the newest date is not best. Examples include Ruger 10/22. I would argue that older metal triggers are better than the new plastic triggers.

There are also new "features" on guns that can be annoying, such as magazine safeties and the like.

If you are talking a newish released gun, then you can sometimes have two different versions of a gun without really made public, when a manufacturing change fixed a subtle issue. You really need to know about the specific make of gun when that occurs.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    There is no blanket answer. You would need to ask a more detailed/specific question with brands/models (and I'm sure you would still get differing opinions).

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It really depends on the gun. For many, it doesn't matter at all. For some, such as the trigger on that particular model, it could be quite important. The key is to determine what gun you want before you actually get into the buying situation. If you are completely knowledgeable about the gun and all of the versions that have been produced then you should be ablt to make an informed decision and know what production years to avoid, if any.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    For the most part, no. Best bet is to do as they say and research the gun. Examples -

Sig P250 -early ones junk. Did some fixes, slightly better junk
    Smith & Wesson 686 - I believe 6 series and later have the cylinder lock, so if you don't want to deal with that
    10/22 - as stated, plastic trigger (bought a new 10/22, hoping to find some replacement parts this weekend :D to fix that problem)

Just look at what you want to buy, typically I would say older guns have quirks that get ironed out, but sometimes changes do make things worse (see Gen4 Glocks for example, change in internals made them run different)

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sig P250 -early ones junk. Did some fixes, slightly better junk

I keep seeing hate for the P250, took a friends out last weekend and put about 500 rounds through it without issue. The best shot in our group was shooting half dollar size groups at about 15 yards. Did he just get lucky and get a good firearm?

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks guys. Is a few months difference a big deal? Like, I can get a new stainless elite p226 with a really recent manufacture date if i wait a bit (out of stock at the site I prefer), or I can wait and get one now, which might have an older (probably a few months difference) manufacture date.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As so many already stated, some are better older, some are better newer. Kind of depends on what you are looking for. The original ARs were junk, newer ones have almost all the kinks worked out. Some newer other weapons have too many "safety" features added and are now junk. Some companies (like Bushmaster) are bought out, and then become junk. Older Bushmasters work way better then the newer ones. Colt is another one that is date dependent. Older ones, worked awesome, from my memory, the ones around the 80s until kind of recent, arent as well made. Some of the newer ones though are coming back to the quality that they used to be. So, really depends on the firearm as to which date you are looking for. And the company, and whats going on with the company, and the workers, etc.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks guys. Is a few months difference a big deal? Like, I can get a new stainless elite p226 with a really recent manufacture date if i wait a bit (out of stock at the site I prefer), or I can wait and get one now, which might have an older (probably a few months difference) manufacture date.

Ah, with the Sig, you should be good with the older one as well, as the couple of months, i dont believe would be that much difference. If everything else is the same between the one you want, and the one you can get, then I would say go with the one you can get now. Sig P226s run great. Im sure you will enjoy it (I have the Sig P228)

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Correct, no blanket answer on this one.
    Example, I won't own a post 2000 Marlin, to me the quality isn't what it was. I'll look high and low for older Marlin's from before basically 1980's.

That said, you can also run into issue with guns made that had issues in a certain date period.

My advice, look on the net, ask in here if you have questions about a certain gun. Most on here are straight shooters

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I believe the OP has stated twice that he is talking about a couple of months difference, not years. :dunno:

Go ahead and buy it now if you want to OP.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Should I try to get a P226 stainless elite with the newest manufacture date I can, or is it not really important/doesnt matter at all?

Is a few months difference a big deal? For example, I can get a new stainless elite p226 with a really recent manufacture date if i wait a bit (out of stock at the site I prefer), or I can wait and get one now, which might have an older (probably a few months difference) manufacture date.

I'm pretty new to all this gun stuff so I'm trying to see if newer = better like it does with a lot of todays stuff.

:dunno:

:dunno:

Trying to figure out the wait and get one now statement?

I'm not versed on Sigs, but maybe someone will come along soon that is.

Think about the few month thing you mentioned... if there is a tipping point on quality, it had to start at some point. That could happen in a day (new design, new part introduced) or be a slow side into quality issues. You can't really generalize on these things.

Last edited:

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    There was a slip in quality when Sig started making guns here in New Hampshire. From what I understand, the American slide has a different balance than the German (my hands are not educated enough to tell, though). Not that it's not still a quality gun, but if you're looking for a Sig, go full German. You might not get the fancy rail but it will be real smooth.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

When it comes to Sigs (IMHO lest I appear "testy") I look more for a "born where place" rather than a "born on date".

I like the ones with "W. Germany" on the slide.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    a few months on a sig wont matter, the newer "born on" date wont make a difference

like indiucky said, with sigs a few years will matter, (i.e. german vs us), but not months

i own a german 226 and a american 239, while both are great guns, i do like the german 226 better

but no a few months will not matter, go ahead and buy one now! and buy LOTS of ammo

Top Bottom