• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I think this has been discussed before but couldn't quickly find from a search.

I've bought and sold a few different weapons, all without knowing what the round count was. It has never really mattered to me as long as the weapon was in good working order.

Exactly how important is it to you to know the round count and how honest do you feel the seller is about the round count?
    Is the round count more of a concern for the barrel or for the trigger mechanism?

As far as keeping track of round count...do you keep a log on how much you shoot? I wouldn't have a clue.
    :popcorn:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Not that important to me. I bought a lot of used firearms over the years. Never knew the round count of most of them. As long as they was in good shape, they always performed Ok for me.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Depends on the gun. A .22-250, sure. Throat erosion means barrel life can be as low as a thousand to two thousand rounds for optimal accuracy. A Glock with 5k rounds through it is getting nicely broken in.

The exact round count isn't that important unless you are talking about a very high quality custom gun. When I'm looking at a .308 I want to know is it a few hundred or a few thousand.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    For me it depends on the asking price. If someone is selling something at a new price and has say 1,000 rounds thru it i'll look elsewhere. If the price is discounted enough for me and the weapon is in working order with no defects, then it's no problem.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    very very important..... i think the seller is seldom honest, some more honest than others however with a close examination i am able to ballpark within a certain degree how many rounds actual it has.... not so much on bolt actions... would you buy a glock for 400 dollars that had 75,000 rounds through it?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    For me it depends on the asking price. If someone is selling something at a new price and has say 1,000 rounds thru it i'll look elsewhere. If the price is discounted enough for me and the weapon is in working order with no defects, then it's no problem.

keep in mind that unless you are talking about throat erosion on a bolt action then 1,000 rounds is VERY VERY minimal... my g22 has around 10,000 through it, and thats a low number.... 1000 rounds to a handgun is like 20,000 miles to a car... its still low milage.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    keep in mind that unless you are talking about throat erosion on a bolt action then 1,000 rounds is VERY VERY minimal... my g22 has around 10,000 through it, and thats a low number.... 1000 rounds to a handgun is like 20,000 miles to a car... its still low milage.
    Well I would have to agree here, gun manufacturers that use good quality steel for recievers and barrels will be using steel that can take 10,000 plus rounds and more, one can check for wear and damage in the carrier bolt area or reciever ejection areas on semi-autos, check interior barrel rifling, but trusting round count from gun traders is hit or miss, many of us depend on the word of previous owners then add our round count!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would imagine that the type of round would play a part. I have some pretty old guns that I still shoot but they are not pushed as hard as say my Ruger SBH.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009

I understand but i still wouldnt pay a new price for it just like i wouldnt pay a new price for a used car.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I dont think i ever implied paying full price for a used firearm... all i was stating is that 1k rounds is NOT a high round count on MOST modern firearms in standard calibers.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I want to have an idea about how many rounds have been down a gun. It would be case by case scenario as to what I would and would not buy. A gun that has "10,000" rounds through it may look better than a lot of guns with "500" rounds through them. So I guess overall condition is more important to me than round count. That being said, I keep a meticulous record of what goes through my weapons.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I track how many rounds go through my bolt gun in my data book, I also track when it was cleaned and if it was a detail cleaning. But then again I also track where the bullet hits on the target for 75% of the rounds. That is what a data book is for.
    Handguns not an issue really to me. Overall condition matters more to me.
    My ARs, I keep a rough round count and any issues with ammo type. Not too worried about them as I can buy and replace barrel or any other part without sending it out.
    Rimfires, no way. I loan my 10/22 out just about every Appleseed weekend for 400-600 rounds. 15 seeds this year plus the times it goes to the range with other people and what I put through it. Most people would consider it wore out a long time ago.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think this has been discussed before but couldn't quickly find from a search.

I've bought and sold a few different weapons, all without knowing what the round count was. It has never really mattered to me as long as the weapon was in good working order.

Exactly how important is it to you to know the round count and how honest do you feel the seller is about the round count?
    Is the round count more of a concern for the barrel or for the trigger mechanism?

As far as keeping track of round count...do you keep a log on how much you shoot? I wouldn't have a clue.
    :popcorn:

When you buy a used car does it matter if a little old lady from Pasedina only drove it to church on Sunday?

If it's a rifle, I want to see it shoot if I'm paying any thing at all over 50% of new cost. The owner can even do the shooting but I want to see it do what the seller says it will do.

I don't trust none of ya'all. I've been down this road before.

Last edited:

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    very very important..... i think the seller is seldom honest, some more honest than others however with a close examination i am able to ballpark within a certain degree how many rounds actual it has.... not so much on bolt actions... would you buy a glock for 400 dollars that had 75,000 rounds through it?

I think the bigger question here is would you buy a Glock? I kid but had to do it.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I take round count with a grain of salt. I buy and trade upon the general condition of a firearm. I dont know how many rounds most of my firearms have seen and I suspect alot of others dont know either. Ive never got burned by a used gun that doesn't shoot where I aim. Guess Ive gotten lucky so far:dunno:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Unless you're a professional like Bil Oglesby you're not going to know the EXACT round count. The pro's HAVE to for tax purpuses, as well they shoot 1000 times more than we do.(how many of us shoot 5000rds per WEEK) If you have one gun in a certain caliber, it's not hard for an accurate(+ -100) rd count. Simply keep rec.s and add. Having multiple guns in one or two (38/357)calibers that you use factory and reloads is a little harder.I like shooting to be fun and fun is not taking a pad and writing down EVERY stinking round I (or others)fire in a certain gun. The wife and I decided that even if we're broke we AIN'T selling our guns.too many a..hat make low ball offers that insult my intelligence, now they want to know how many rds? how many fieldstrips? cleanings? So for us we have an idea,how many we shoot, otherwise we don't care.

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    I think the bigger question here is would you buy a Glock? I kid but had to do it.

I think I have about twenty Glocks, but I just bought my first XD a couple days ago. :p

BOT ... I've learned not to pay too much attention to round-count; most sellers just guess anyway. Hell I can do that myself when I see the firearm (and measure the bore if count matters).

The only ones that kinda aggravate me are the guys who say "Less than 200 rounds through her!", then on inspection, knowing damned well "she" has gone through a case or two.
    As mentioned above, there are exceptions - a case doesn't matter much on a G-17, but it does matter on a "HitAGnatInTheAssAt75Yards" rifle.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I don't know anyone that has the money or the time to put 75000 rounds through one pistol:dunno: . I just disassemble and look it over to make my decision.. I doubt that most people keep a running count of rounds down the barrel anyway. Just my :twocents:
    Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving Holiday:D

Top Bottom