Does practice with one gun translate to others?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I have a .22LR Ruger target pistol I'm itching to practice with. It's definitely the cheapest ammo of any handgun I own, and it's a joy to handle. I'm very rusty on my shooting and I need to practice (a lot).

I'm still debating between the 9x18 semi-auto and the .375 mag revolver for my actual defense gun. I know that those will both handle a lot differently than the .22, but ammo is more expensive. I understand that the best practice is with the real thing but budget is a real concern to me.

Does practice with a pistol - any pistol - translate to other guns? If I get better at shooting with the .22, will I (in theory) be better with the other guns. I don't expect that I would pick them up and be as comfortable and accurate as I would be with the .22, but surely some of the skill learned crosses over?

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

Scorpsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Your basic skills such as sighting in on a target and presentation will be the same, the mechanics (revolver vs semi-auto pistol) will differ as you already know. Practicing the basics will make your transition to your final gun of choice easier and certainly cheaper. Good luck!

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Yes and no. Think of it this way, you are used to driving your car, and because of that you can drive any car. The better you are as a driver, the better your skills behind any wheel. You'll never get the most out of any particular car, though, unless you practice with that particular car. Everything works the same, but everything feels a bit different.

I am not a fan of the .357 for defense for an inexperienced shooter. I know, I know, its a celebrated man stopper and a proven load. That's not in question, and I concede all of that. However the recoil is pretty stiff for newer/smaller shooters, muzzle flash and how loud it is takes some getting used to. You'll probably find you can put a lot more rounds on target in a given period of time with the 9mm. Each to their own, though.

9mm ammo is also the cheapest of the common self defense calibers. If you watch on line and buy in bulk you can pick up 500 rounds for $120 or so on occasion.

Each has its advantages, though. Making wax bullets lets you practice with your revolver up close basically for free, and you can do it indoors, nice if you live in the city or don't have good access to a range. 9mm is cheap with real bullets so you can practice strings of fire.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As for basic fundamentals of marksmanship you can gain skill using any accurate handgun. Things like drawing from a holster, obtaining a grip, unloading and reloading skills pretty much have to be practiced on specific handguns.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    My answer to this question is yes, but barely.

You cannot expect to win a match with your .40 cal beretta, after practicing all year with a 22lr Ruger.

It just doesnt work that way.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    My answer to this question is yes, but barely.

You cannot expect to win a match with your .40 cal beretta, after practicing all year with a 22lr Ruger.

It just doesnt work that way.

Well..........That may be because everybody you're competing with has practiced with the .40.

The question isn't can you win a contest while practicing with other guns, simply can you get better. I would say yes.

The more familiar you are with proper technique, sight acquisition ect. will definitely translate when you get to bigger calibers.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Basic mechanics like breathing, sight picture, and trigger squeeze will apply to most any shooting that you do. Individual weapons may have their own quirks though; some pistols have a little take-up on the trigger while others don't.

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I always feel like I'm more accurate after having a warm up session with my Mark III, but that's just me. A 22 pistol is a great way to learn, practice, and keep up with the basics in my opinion.

Top Bottom