Does anyone else besides me like these 1911 grips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    The grips I'm talking about are Herrett D-45 black lacquer grips. I've seen them for sale on occasion at the gun shows and I'm starting to really like them in both form and function. I'm curious to see if anyone else feels the same way and if you own a set how do they hold up in terms of durability?

D45 - Black Lacquer Gun Stock

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be waiting for 2-3 months as I stated I have seen them for sale at the gun shows from time to time. I'm sure eBay would probably have them for sale too. I mostly wanted to know if the grips were made out of decent wood or if they were just cheap.

I actually have tried VZ grips a couple of times. The last set I bought I didn't much care for though. They were bad ass to look at, but brutal on my palms from it's aggressive checkering. lol

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be waiting for 2-3 months as I stated I have seen them for sale at the gun shows from time to time. I'm sure eBay would probably have them for sale too. I mostly wanted to know if the grips were made out of decent wood or if they were just cheap.

I actually have tried VZ grips a couple of times. The last set I bought I didn't much care for though. They were bad ass to look at, but brutal on my palms from it's aggressive checkering. lol

VZ has many levels of checkering. Site tells you if a grip is very aggressive or not.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'd also suggest that you contact West Virginia Wood Arts and ask them about making you a set. I've got three sets. JetGirl has I think three sets. Another couple of buddies of mine each have a set... Look in my photo album for a quick sample, or click on the link and go to their page! (The "Zombie Killer" set is on my 1911-22)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a set. Not sure its the same company but got them at a gun show. They feel good but they seemed to look cheap on my guns. I don't use them.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Grips are a personal preference. As i tell people at the shows i am set up at when they ask me what set I think looks good on their gun, It's like me picking out a wife for YOU. It has to be what you like and can live with. Those grips are well made & good wood .

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not something I would install, but you have to get what you like regardless what others think. The grips are what makes the 1911 yours. There is nothing else, besides engraving, that makes the bond with the owner like the grips.

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    I've always loved the looks of the original Colt commercial checkered stocks. It's too bad that use/carry darkens and chips them so quickly and easily. The way I grip a 1911, there's very little contact with the palm. Hand contact is almost all done with the front and back straps. That's why so many want stippling/checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'd also suggest that you contact West Virginia Wood Arts and ask them about making you a set. I've got three sets. JetGirl has I think three sets. Another couple of buddies of mine each have a set... Look in my photo album for a quick sample, or click on the link and go to their page! (The "Zombie Killer" set is on my 1911-22)
    Yep, in his gallery mine are A2/A70, A25/A26, and the dog tag/Army stripes he did that he didn't put in the gallery yet.

Top Bottom