Does anybody else print their own targets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I used to buy targets or just use paper plates. Recently I started using targets printed on my computer printer. I found several sites where you can print out about any kind of target you want. Don't know if it is any cheaper, copy paper is cheap enough but printer ink cartridges are pretty salty. I like being able to select what kind and how many targets I need and printing them up when I need them.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I print a lot out for fun shooting and general use. I also will pick up a pad or two from the "guy" at the 1500 because they are cheep and useful.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    Something I read in an E-mail the other day:

Got an E-Mail the other day that had this in it:

A $30 HP #45 black ink cartridge gives you 42ml. Pricing out to $0.71/ml. Meanwhile, blood apparently costs $200 for 500ml from the Red Cross. Pricing out to $0.40/ml.

200912301004.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    yeah, You'd think Printer ink was a fossil fuel or something that we're currently running out of.

We need to approve Off-shore drilling to find more Printer Ink!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Paper plates with a red circle on them for me.

Though, when I finally sight-in my Marlin I'll either print or buy some fancy targets with 1" circles.

Bookmarked that INGO thread from OneBadV8 for later....

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I print them as well but will be switching to beige paper since the white and black combo blows for seeing the holes for some reason. Old eyes I guess.

Funny though we had a family challenge at the end of the range session last time.

My daughter drew a circle in marker on white paper about 4 inches. We all took 8 rounds to see who could get more in the circle.

No one did.lol. my 14yo got close with 1 round about an inch from the line and I got one right on the line but was all over the 8x11 piece of paper. None could get a good group on the white and black paper but we could on the beige and black silhouette targets.

Of course this was everyone's first time with the Taurus PT1911 in .45acp which has the Heine straight 8 trijicons. My 14 yo daughter never had anything beyond dry fire with it and a1911 airsoft to get ready for it.

My. 22 is kaput so she got to learn with the .45 and didn't freak because I prepped her for the bark and recoil. My wife felt like a soccer mom all proud as was I.

So print away it is all good unless you buy in bulk from someplace it is still cheaper if you can set your printer to draft.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My daughter drew a circle in marker on white paper about 4 inches. We all took 8 rounds to see who could get more in the circle.

No one did.lol.

Ha! At what range?

My usual is to trace the inside of the duct-tape role I use to stick my paper plate on the stand. About 3" or so, I think? I shoot at 7-12 yards. I do well at that range, but push it out to 30 yards, and I'm lucky to hit the plate at all. Gotta cut back on the caffeine!

I have a stack of pink paper left over from copying my LTCH. I might try printing black targets on that. Might show the holes a bit better, and help me get rid of this paper.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Ha! At what range?

My usual is to trace the inside of the duct-tape role I use to stick my paper plate on the stand. About 3" or so, I think? I shoot at 7-12 yards. I do well at that range, but push it out to 30 yards, and I'm lucky to hit the plate at all. Gotta cut back on the caffeine!

I have a stack of pink paper left over from copying my LTCH. I might try printing black targets on that. Might show the holes a bit better, and help me get rid of this paper.

10+ yards I think. 1st row at kingsbury dnr range for pistol. I think most of us are lethal to paper at 7 yards but further than that it gets ugly but I don't think that range will let u move targets closer than 10 yards.

We just need more trigger time and some more training for sure. Time and money is that old song. Well that and a new back for me. Lol

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I print my own targets. For those of you that do, it can get expensive. What I do is print targets that have empty circles, saves ink. Then I cut circles out of florescent colored paper from office depot and glue them on the printed circle outlines. This way you can have bulls eyes any size and color you want (really helpful for old eyes). You end up with custom targets, cheap.

To cut the circles I use a rotary circle cutter. Very simple to use and cuts perfect circles. The one I have was made to cut circles in fabric and so I can cut several sheets of paper at once. This is a quick and simple process. If it was involved I would not spend the time to do it.

You can buy them at hobby shops for like $25 - $30. I bought mine off of eBay for, I think $12. Brand OLFA model CMP-3. I forgot to add it cuts from like a 1 inch circle to 8 1/2 inch circles. If you want specifics you can find them on the internet.

Looks like this:

OLFA.jpg
    OLFAopen.jpg

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I usually print my own targets or attach birchwood casey target stickers to printer paper when I go to the range. When I practice self-defense shooting techniques I always use man sized targets.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I usually just draw a small circle on an index card, or if I'm using something thing with a scope I like to shoot at diamond shaped targets.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    1 Sharpie pen
    Various sheets of scrap paper from the office
    1 Skoal Can
    6 Circles traced around the Skoal can with a dot in the middle.
    Nearly free and makes for good shooting. Aim small, miss small.

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    I print out targets if I am heading to one of the DNR ranges. I usually shoot at Applied Ballistics and there I just buy targets off of them as I need them.

YogiRC51

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I've been printing smiley face to work on my lethal weapon art work skills. So far it's not working out.

Top Bottom