Do you wear your hearing protection correctly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Yep, every time I shoot or am out on the floor for an extended amount of time. The cold forging (huge presses forming bolt heads) is extremely loud but the thread rolling area is ridiculous!

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Ive always wondered, are those swaged in or ground in? Either way, its gotta be loud!
    'swaged'?

Think of two opposing metal slabs the size of a few bricks that are pure hardened steel. One is stationary, the other moves but with a bolt at the top of a downward slope. As the moving one flies down the bolt is essentially pressed with the threads. So I guess they're ground in, but it is really a rolling process, a very fast one at that. Basically. Stupidly loud...

I have a video of it but it's in quicktime format and is propietary info. :|

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    As an audiologist I suppose this is my opportunity to do my duty:

ALWAYS WEAR EAR PROTECTION whenever firing ANY CALIBER firearm. I know that .22s "seem quiet"- they are not. Exposure to firearms is deceptively dangerous because due to their very brief duration, they do not seem "loud." However, they are in fact high-intensity noises, and WILL cause hearing loss.

Do you feel like ear plugs are dumb or wimpy? How about being disconnected from your kids, grandkids, or friends because you cannot understand what they are saying? Does that seem dump or wimpy?

Do you think that just firing a few rounds without hearing protection is no big deal? Wrong again! ANY unprotected exposure to firearms will contribute to hearing loss. The impairment generated by guns will not heal and will add up over time to become a big deal. Some people have adverse effects from ONE UNPROTECTED EXPOSURE.

At this point, some readers will doubt me and say "Well I have done this without ear plugs in the past and don't have any problems." Wrong again. It is possible, although unlikely, that you do not notice significant effects of the damage done to your inner ear. However, the damage still exists, and will never become un-damaged. Many people ignorantly think that hearing loss won't affect them because it comes on slowly and people can become accustomed to the slow change over time, but rest assured that with continued exposure (or a myriad of other insults) the hearing loss will reach a point where it cannot be ignored and has a SIGNIFICANT impact on your life-- at which point it is too late to reverse the damage done.

:soapbox:

OK, that is all I have to say for today. I try to limit by use of bold and caps lock but it is important that people take this seriously, and I have met many people who don't use hearing protection, or as the OP mentions, do not use it correctly. Both are extremely important, as the research shows that improper use dramatically decreases the protection provided.

Lastly, not all people who don't wear ear plugs are the macho Rambo types. Many people just don't know the severity of what they are doing, some don't have comfortable hearing protection, some are embarrassed because the cannot place them properly, etc. Do not be proud- be willing to ask for help in this area because hearing loss makes people very lonely as they begin to feel disconnected from the world.

Feel free to post any questions or concerns you have regarding this topic. You may also PM me if you prefer for this to remain a private/confidential conversation.

Regards,
    Josh

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    My Grandpa is about as deaf as can be... thanks to working at a factory before anyone cared about 'hearing protection' before OSHA existed. I wear plugs and earmuffs when I shoot :)

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I use plugs and muffs when shooting. Although sometimes I have a hard time hearing my shots when shooting steel.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I learned the hard way about hearing protection. My (ex) husband, his brother and I were shooting at my brother-in-laws house. After my turn, I stood to the left of the shooter, never giving it a thought. Later that night I realized I couldn't hear the words and all sounds were muffled. It lasted for two days.
    Strangely, so I thought at the time, my LEFT ear was worse than the right. I finally realized that the reason was that my right side was open space and on the left was a pick-up truck from which the sounds bounced off.
    I learned my lesson!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As an audiologist I suppose this is my opportunity to do my duty:

Hi Josh,

I normally wear only muffs, my thinking being that the muff covers not only the ear canal proper but also the surrounding bone to help avoid conduction through those. I also have but don't use a set of electronic ear plugs. I thought them redundant as well as risky- wasn't sure they really shut off the sound in time to avoid damage. I have noticed that my muffs have gotten a bit loose, however, and would welcome any advice you could offer.

Blessings,
    B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Bill,

The questions you pose are good ones, and depend on the situation in question. For shooting, plugs are better than muffs, but not dramatically so. The concern about bone-conducted sound is worth considering, but the research shows that ear muffs do not cover enough surface area to cause any significant reduction in bone conducted sound. This is not true for military-style helmets that are designed to act as hearing protection devices (HPDs) but they are not common among civilians and unlikely to be used because they are hot and dorky.

Taking a few steps back- plugs are slightly better than muffs, when both are used properly. However, muffs are more likely to be worn incorrectly than plugs, thus widening the gap. In practice, most people will get better attenuation from plugs. However, if someone reads this and is a big fan of muffs, do not interpret this to mean that muffs aren't good. They just aren't AS good as plugs. This is frequency specific, and the preceding statements are general to gunfire, which may or may not carry over to whatever industry a person may work in. In some cases, ear muffs in fact are better, but thats the exception, not the rule. If someone has a question about their work place, I'd need some description of what machinery they are exposed to.

I don't know what the literature says about electronic hearing protection, but I will report back when I know.

In conclusion, regardless if you choose muffs or plugs it is imperative that you use them properly. Expandable foam plugs must be seated deeply in order to expand properly. Small ears may have trouble with common plugs, if possible find small size ones for smaller people. Muffs can be vented by eye protection, and for that reason I do not shoot with muffs on. It is better to select a HPD that you can properly use, than to select one based solely on its NRR.

Hope this helps. Feel free to keep the questions coming.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hi Josh,
    I have noticed that my muffs have gotten a bit loose, however, and would welcome any advice you could offer.

Blessings,
    B

Forgot to answer that one. It goes without saying that loose is bad. :): Poor tension lessens the NRR of the muff and is a liability at best. Some muffs are very tight at first, and relax with use. If they are still "tight" they are ok, even though they may not be to the same degree as when new. If they are loose enough to move during use, replace them. $30 now saves a lot later.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I also have but don't use a set of electronic ear plugs. I thought them redundant as well as risky- wasn't sure they really shut off the sound in time to avoid damage.

As I understand electronic plugs/muffs, the default state is "block all sound". The "electronic" comes in when it amplifies quieter sounds like talking. So even if the battery is dead, they'll still work like standard plugs/muffs.

In other words, they don't electronically cancel loud noises, they amplify quiet ones.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They do both. The microphone/speakers are default "on," but the circuit is interrupted when a pressure wave (i.e. the loud noise) that meets or exceeds the designed maximum reaches the microphones. Then the circuit is interrupted, and the speakers do not transmit the sudden, loud noise.

As far as bone conduction goes, I don't see how it could really be significant (at least for brief duration sounds). If the pressure wave has enough energy to vibrate your skull strongly enough to damage your hearing, it's going to cause more than a little discomfort while doing so.

And speaking of plugs, I just got my SureFire Sonic Defenders PLUS today. I've been wearing the originals for a while now with excellent results, but sometimes the seal gets broken, especially when I am sweating. The PLUS version has an extra flange on the part that is inserted into the ear canal, so the seal is a lot better. I also got the large size this time (they are sized based on the size of your external ear, not the canal), and they are a lot less prone to twisting (which may have been part of the problem).

NRR is 19 dB, but that is (as far as I can tell) for steady, low intensity sounds. When a suddent high intensity wave hits them, the attenuation is better, and the sound level never gets to where it can damage your hearing. Someday I may cut an old pair open to examine what kind of design they are using, but what matters is that it works.

I also like that I can hear normal sounds better with them, especially with the little plugs not plugged into the holes that lead into the the baffles or whatever they use internally to decelerate the pressure waves. You can shoot okay with them like that, but when I'm shooting something like an AR (or worse), I plug the holes just in case.

You can buy them anywhere that sells SureFire lights (like Gander Mountain) for $10-11 bucks, whether you want the original or PLUS. However, I've only seen the medium size at Gander mountain, so if you want large (or small), order from SureFire Flashlights & Tactical Lights.

Oh! I forgot to say why I wear plugs instead of my electronic muffs most of the time. When I shoot a long gun, my gargantuan cranium causes even the slimmest earmuffs to bump into the stock, which either prevents me from getting a proper cheekweld/head position, or if I force it, it breaks the seal on the muff. Then, in the summer time, muffs are just too hot even when I could use them for pistolas.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    'swaged'?

Think of two opposing metal slabs the size of a few bricks that are pure hardened steel. One is stationary, the other moves but with a bolt at the top of a downward slope. As the moving one flies down the bolt is essentially pressed with the threads. So I guess they're ground in, but it is really a rolling process, a very fast one at that. Basically. Stupidly loud...

I have a video of it but it's in quicktime format and is propietary info. :|

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ORomNNCSUQ[/ame]

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I had never seen the surefire plugs before, they look interesting and I may get me a set.

Are there any other recommended plugs or better types or brands that I should look for? I normally use disposable type foam plugs but I would assume there are better ones out there.

Top Bottom