Do you have a Bug-out location? how did you choose it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    Another thread got me wondering how folks who plan to bug out picked where they would go.

If you have a place in mind was it picked because it was family/familiar land, geographically isolated or defensible, availability of resources, etc.

What priorities did you use to choose.

I live at mine and think I have my reasons for it's choice but was curious what others had in mind.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    My bug-out location? Much to my family's consternation, it will be directly, and hurriedly, toward the sound of gunfire. In the event "SHTF" amounts to some natural occurrence like a tornado or earthquake, our location will be home and neighborhood, of course. Context will make all the difference for me.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I thought long and hard before I chose one. In the end it was pretty obvious there was only one realistic choice. There are several good things about it, and it just won out due to the positives over other possibilities.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have 5 possible BOL locations. They were not actually picked but available through friends and 1 by is family.
    The direction we travel will be dictated by what ever we are escaping and why.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not interested in bugging out so I'll stay home.

I've often wondered just how far a person can get by bugging out given that a lot of folks will be thinking the same thing. They need to be going to a secure logistical base.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Right here at home. 80+ acres, miles from the pavement. Never have seen a cop car down here.

Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    Like others have said, it depends on why we need to leave. Leaving home is the last option, but if we must it will be back with family unless the disaster is worse there than it is here.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Sadly if will have to be the last stand here. Too old and too restricted as far as funds go to do else wise. The ideal situation would be a compound filled with like minded people. That is not likely for me but is something for you younger folks to think long and hard on. If the SHTF there is safety in numbers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not interested in bugging out so I'll stay home.

I've often wondered just how far a person can get by bugging out given that a lot of folks will be thinking the same thing. They need to be going to a secure logistical base.

Stay home? Well, I guess that's one less person on the road I have to worry about.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sadly if will have to be the last stand here. Too old and too restricted as far as funds go to do else wise. The ideal situation would be a compound filled with like minded people. That is not likely for me but is something for you younger folks to think long and hard on. If the SHTF there is safety in numbers.

You may have to travel. If you were in the area of a nuclear fallout, or a pandemic zone, you either bug out, or glow in the dark/bleed from all your orifices.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You may have to travel. If you were in the area of a nuclear fallout, or a pandemic zone, you either bug out, or glow in the dark/bleed from all your orifices.

There will more of this than we would like to think. If we bugged out there is no way we could gather up all yhe older and less mobile in my area. We do as much as possible for them right now but transport would be a no go. Even if we sat tight at home I could not feed all of them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have some property out in the country that is part of my grandparents farm. It is only 10 acres but it has a pond, woods, and lots of nut trees and some fruit trees. I am going to try to plant more fruit trees again this spring.

I was listening to a college professor a long time ago who made a lot of sense when talking about bugging out. He said to get farther away from major metropolitan areas to a range of one (1) gas tank away. Now, I have come up with the following numbers to figure out a good starting point.

From my research the average gas tank will be 16 gallons. The average fuel economy for 2011 is 22.5MPG. Also, I figure the average gas tank is 75% full at the time of crisis. So, 16G * .75 = 12 * 22.5 = 270 miles. Your pure safe distance is 270 miles from Indianapolis, Chicago, Columbus OH, and Detroit. To be honest this does NOT leave most of us in a good position.

If we hope for problems from the fleeing sheep they will only make it half way before a traffic jam stops them. This then reduces the range from major metropolitan areas to 135 miles. Still not good but far more hopeful than before.

From my studies of the map watching traffic flow your best bet would be the upper peninsula of Michigan, the far north east of Indiana, or multiple areas of southern Indiana. All of these are going to be off the significant beaten path from the herds of sheep. I believe those in southern Indiana will be in the best shape due to difficulties with terrain.

Let us also not forget that once the sheep abandon their vehicles they will then be on foot and very desperate. Woe unto the lone farm house right off of major interstates! It will be like a hoard of locusts descending. I give them a good wander distance of 40 miles on foot before they poop out. A major area would be up where Hwy 69 meets Hwy 80/90. Most folks will stick to the main and secondary roads. In this example the town of Freemont will probably be overrun with folks from Fort Wayne and Chicago.

If you are looking at a TEOWAWKI situation and need to protect your bug out location consider one thing: bridges! If you get together with the local community and park and disable (not permanently) a SemiTruck on the bridge in any direction this will greatly impede the locusts about to descend. The bridges do not need to be destroyed nor should they, but by inhibiting automobile flow this alone could save your life. These and other choke points must be considered when looking at a catastrophic event. These could also be impediments to you before you get to your destination. What if there is a traffic accident in the middle of the bridge on the way to your BOL?

I have considered this for me and it is an ugly situation. My choke points are the bridge just north of Decatur and the bridge on 101 in Pleasant Mills. If those two (2) are blocked my alternatives suck, and I am only trying to go 40 miles.

---

For those looking to buy I would suggest a simple search method.

First, go to Google Maps and look up a town way out in the sticks where you want to be near. Zoom in and find the five (5) digit zip code for anything there.

Second, go to Realtor.Com and go to advanced search. A screen will pop up and put the zip code in. Then for the price you want $1 minimum (this gets rid of auctions) and a max price. After that you can narrow your property search in the bottom left for homes or just land.

You want to put in a range under the "include areas within" X miles. There is a drop down box. I would suggest at least 20 miles. You can filter out stuff you don't like but it gives a bigger search capacity.

This can give you a good idea of what you can buy. Do not forget that you can contact the realtor and always offer less. They don't have to take it but who knows, you might get lucky if you really want something.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom