Do you feel obligated to offer up a little something for a favor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So the last few days "Bill" has asked a few favors which have required me driving to town twice, and him taking my truck to another town (close to 80 miles driving)...

I have no problem offering up my time to help "Bill".. But the problem enlies my gas. My truck now sits empty (fortunately I dont to go anywhere with it any time soon), and he didnt as much as say anything in regards to the gas.

I know if I go down to his house, I will likely flip out on him (this isnt the first time hes done this kind of crap)...

If you are in my situation, what do you do?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    How bad does he need the help/favor? Is he doing this because he needs to to or is taking advantage of a friend? Need more details.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Go fill up your truck and keep you keys in your pocket. "Bill" was certainly not my father's son.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Can you chalk it up to discipleship? Or do you need to be re-reimbursed for the fuel? I would not say anything if its the later. I would wait until he asks again, and just simply tell him that you can't help him out, that your truck is low on fuel from the last few trips and you can't afford to fill it right now or a variance to your exact situation to make it truthful... your point will be taken.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Depends on your relationship with him. If he's done plenty of stuff for you, let it go. Good friends don't keep close accounting.

If he's never done anything but ask favors then next time tell him that the last time you did him favors it emptied your gas tank and he didn't offer to fill it, so you'll have to decline.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A favor is one thing, multiple favors is being used.

I had a coworker once that told me if I ever needed somebody to work a weekend for me he would be happy to do it. We're fairly compensated for our time but honestly I prefer my weekends off. So the first time in the rotation it was my turn to cover a weekend I told the coworker it was his if he wanted it. He happily took it and on Friday afternoon he told me to remember him doing me this "favor" so that when he needed something I would "have" to return the favor.

I told him no thanks I'll work my weekend as I refuse to be "Obligated" to return a favor. I'm a fair person and will gladly help anybody do just about anything until I feel I'm being taken advantage of. In an instance when I am told I will "owe" somebody for a favor, forget it it's off. I've never kept score but I'm sure none of the people I've done favors for or asked favors of feel like they've come out on the losing end.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Even if money isn't the issue, it's pretty disrespectful of Bill. If he can't bothered to splash a few gallons in the tank before he returns it to you, don't loan it to him again. Having a truck really puts us guys in tricky spots with our friends.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I am one to believe that you return something in better condition when you borrowed it. I always return a vehicle with more gas than when I got it, and if I have time, I will wash it too.

My close friends, I dont keep "score" of favors, as I know when it comes down to it, they got my back at any time. They will roll out of bed at 3 am if I need them for any reason. Its just when it seems like any time this guy calls me he wants something, but its like I feel obligated to help out... SUCKS ASS!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I am one to believe that you return something in better condition when you borrowed it. I always return a vehicle with more gas than when I got it, and if I have time, I will wash it too.

My close friends, I dont keep "score" of favors, as I know when it comes down to it, they got my back at any time. They will roll out of bed at 3 am if I need them for any reason. Its just when it seems like any time this guy calls me he wants something, but its like I feel obligated to help out... SUCKS ASS!

This Bill must be some of my relation.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Bill could be in a financial bind that you dont know about. If he really is a good friend and comes through when you need him, dont sweat the small stuff if. It happens once in a while. On the other hand, if you think Bill is dead weight, drop him. Not all friendships last forever. I can count the number of friends that I know I can depend on for anything anytime on one hand.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Bill could be in a financial bind that you dont know about. If he really is a good friend and comes through when you need him, dont sweat the small stuff if. It happens once in a while. On the other hand, if you think Bill is dead weight, drop him. Not all friendships last forever. I can count the number of friends that I know I can depend on for anything anytime on one hand.

Dropping "Bill" isnt an option".. Hes family. I know "Bill's" financial situation as well, and springing a few bucks for gas aint an issue...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Favors with vehicles always result in a full gas tank to me....

Dad let me borrow his vehicle when the transmission went out on my Tahoe and I was working on it.

I returned his vehicle with:
    1) a full tank of gas.
    2) Washed.
    3) Interior swept and detailed.

It is called common courtesy.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    If you are in my situation, what do you do?

I guess it would depend on the details of "Bill's" situation.

If he was a long time friend and I knew he was on hard times (lost job, got hosed in a divorce, medical bills, etc.) and I could spare the coin, I wouldn't make mention of gas money. Ditto if he'd ever done me a large favor in the past... friend of mine back in Colorado gave me a decent whack of elk meat after he got his bull, and later needed my help with some back-and-forth driving to handle an issue. I didn't ask for a penny.)

If "Bill" has made this a habit, and abuses your friendship often, I would probably make mention of it: "Hey, Bill, listen, I'm happy to help when I can, but all these trips kinda emptied my gas tank. If you need my help again, I'm going to ask that you put some petro in the tank."

Top Bottom