• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugerfan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    laporte county
    I just found this video on youtube. Would you have done the same thing. p.s please help if i posted this in the wrong place thanks [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ExC7fE1LaY&feature=related[/ame]:draw:

Last edited:

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    Five minutes from the time she dialed 911 till the time she had to defend her life. That is the resPonse time of a large city police department in a rural area it would take longer. It just proves the only person responsible for your safety is you. On a side note good for her

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes. By calling 911 and being on the phone where it is recorded will just provide more evidence that I used deadly force as a last resort. IMO she did everything right. Called 911, retreated to a far room, stayed on the phone, and made sure the guy would never be able to come up with some story about how he was confused, lost, invited in, whatever.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I have time to call 911 first, I'm calling 911 first and putting the phone down next to me. Screw that "stay on the line" crap. They can listen if they want, but I'm not going to sit there and let them distract me from the task at hand.

That way I'll have a recording of what (if anything) happens. Or ... THEY'LL have a recording.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    But greg the state of Indiana has a stand your ground law. You dont have to retreat.

No, but it's more tactically sound to retreat to a proper vantage point. Usually you'd want to get down the back-end of a hallway so that your field of fire is directly straight down.

I mean... what would you do?

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    my gun safe is in my bedroom. my plan of action in a break in is grab shotgun and wait for the door to be kicked open and let em have it. everything of REAL value is in that room. down stairs there are a couple of tv's that would be hard to move by yourself. my cell phone is always on the night stand, if there is time to call 911, i will, if not, well, they will get a clean up call.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I have time to call 911 first, I'm calling 911 first and putting the phone down next to me. Screw that "stay on the line" crap. They can listen if they want, but I'm not going to sit there and let them distract me from the task at hand.

That way I'll have a recording of what (if anything) happens. Or ... THEY'LL have a recording.

Good point.

But greg the state of Indiana has a stand your ground law. You dont have to retreat.

I know, but back in a rearward room, I won't have any accomplice that I don't know about coming up behind me and they will no cover once they come through the door. I am not confident or competent for that matter to try and do a room clearing looking for someone most likely in the dark.

If I had gun in hand at my front door and he came through, there would be no retreating on my part, but in that scenario I wouldn't have time to call 911 and I would have to shoot first, then call.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    my gun safe is in my bedroom. my plan of action in a break in is grab shotgun and wait for the door to be kicked open and let em have it. everything of REAL value is in that room. down stairs there are a couple of tv's that would be hard to move by yourself. my cell phone is always on the night stand, if there is time to call 911, i will, if not, well, they will get a clean up call.

+1

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Every potential situation will be different and your actions will be split second decisions....

I know this, NO ONE is getting down the hallway to my kids bedroom or mine. If I have time to grab a phone, fine, but is IS NOT the first thing filling my hand.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Depending upon the situation, I'd try to call 911 first, warn off the intruder(s), and shoot as a last resort. While I don't think I'll hesitate to shoot to save my family, I certainly don't want to deal with the aftermath of dealing death - even justified - if I can avoid it.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Great post.
    What you do in any situation is dictated by situation as it develops. If you have time to call 911 by all means you should, but you must do what you must do to protect yourself and loved ones.
    In this tape it's obvious that the intended victim did all she could to avoid using deadly force and that is documented by the 911 tape. That is basically a get out of jail free card for her.

Top Bottom