• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeMumz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    do you admit to this on the Ltch app. I thought you did but had someone tell me they did not but was asked about it during the process of the app and was approved. and someone else a law enforcment employe told said that you would answer no to the question on the app.

SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    If it's sealed, there is no reason to admit to it. It would take a court order to unseal the record. Of course if you are applying at the department that you encountered your legal woes, then there's the chance that they already know about them. Same thing applies to expunged records and deferred prosecutions.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Are you certain your juvenile record is "sealed?" Used to be in Indiana that all juvenile records became closed upon one's turning 18, essentially making youthful occurrences a part of history that is forgotten and forgiven. A number of years ago (10 to 15?) law changed allowing authorities to see and consider what is in one's juvenile record. I'm doubtful there is any such thing now as a sealed juvenile record unless a Court orders a particular occurence to be "sealed."

Indiana also waives juveniles into adult court on certain charges. Just because one is a juvenile, doesn't mean the law treats them as a juvenile in certain cases. A juvenile occurence may be an adult charge in the eyes of the law.

For your consideration...

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    No you dont have to put it down. They are sealed...actually I was told they are shredded by a probation officer I knew, but I dont know if that is true. I can tell you a close friend of mine had no problems with getting their LCTH despite a few juvenile indiscretions.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    haha. They are not shredded, omitted, destroyed, or "erased" ever. Any LE branch can view your arrest record, expunged or not. A lot of people think this, and have the misfortune of finding out othewise when they are arrested again.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I had my juvenile record "destroyed" "they called it on the application.
    which was supposed to destroy all records including any investigation etc.. or something to that affect....
    Had to meet a certain criteria to get this done.
    As far as anyone is concerned though nothing ever happened, I fill out every thing as if nothing had ever happened.
    This was a very bad choice I made when I was 13, they did not cut me any slack at all.
    Nothing "horrible" I followed a couple of older kids someplace I never should have and without really realizing it I guess I was basicly a burglar... Class C non residential. :facepalm: That was the END! of my criminal doings, I am still very cautious of bad situations.
    Not something I commonly admit to.:rolleyes:
    Not sure on the "sealed" vs "destroyed" but I would guess that you should forget that it ever happened....
    I think I remember when I went there was like 4 different ways of "sealing your juvy record" to have it "destroyed" you had to meet the highest criteria. I do not know what the differences are.
    Hope you learned as much as I did.:yesway:

Last edited:

Chondro788

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    SE Indianapolis
    I didn't put down my juvie PI and was never asked about it. When filling out the paperwork, I figured they only wanted to know if I had been in trouble as an adult?!? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Are you certain your juvenile record is "sealed?" Used to be in Indiana that all juvenile records became closed upon one's turning 18, essentially making youthful occurrences a part of history that is forgotten and forgiven. A number of years ago (10 to 15?) law changed allowing authorities to see and consider what is in one's juvenile record. I'm doubtful there is any such thing now as a sealed juvenile record unless a Court orders a particular occurence to be "sealed."

Indiana also waives juveniles into adult court on certain charges. Just because one is a juvenile, doesn't mean the law treats them as a juvenile in certain cases. A juvenile occurence may be an adult charge in the eyes of the law.

For your consideration...
    I also thought that when you turned 18 it was supposed close...
    However I wanted to check this out, after some dealing with my local court people, I ended up haveing to fill out some paperwork stateing any and all of my charges, Location and the PD that handled it. Then that was sent off to the PD that handled my situation to sighn off on and them sent to the state...
    After 90 days or so I recieved documentation stateing that all records had been collected from so and so and had been destroyed so on and so forth...
    I am sure I kept these documents, I will dig them out and follow up on what it sais..:popcorn:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    One phone call to Juvenile Detention and I'll know the history. It won't come up on a III criminal history check, it has to be checked locally. Its not available to anyone but LEO's I believe. A private company should have no way of finding out...even with a background check.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Juvenile Records

As far as I know your juvenile records never go away. They are always sealed. That means that only the courts and LEO's have access although I don't think it pops up on the computer when you are checked for traffic violation. Not a big deal unless your offense would have been a felony if you were an adult. Then it is best to get it exsponged. Which is like being forgiven, but not pardoned. But the record still exist, I think only judges and prosecutors have access to an exsponged record in the event you get in trouble with the law again, it may have relavance. One of my sons had some juvie trouble and I asked lots of questions, but I'm a little foggy on the details, been about 20 years ago. I think you'll need a lawyer to get exsponged but not real sure.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I had several arrests as a young teen. My record was expunged when I turned 18. I did not put down any arrests on my LTCH app and it was never brought up. The only time when it did come up was when I applied for something with the military. Federal records still had that I had been arrested as a child.

As far as I know the record is never destroyed completely. There is a trail of it some where, but wont come up unless you apply for something to do with the Federal Government and it's sensitive materials.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Nope, no lawyer needed.
    I found my papers, I wish I had a copy of the request to go with it.
    I have no real "legal" knowledge but for your entertainment I will tell you guys my story.
    I went down and they ran me all over, I don't think they knew what to do. My guess is people usually get a lawyer. I know a guy I went to school with, his dad cauphed up $1000 to get this done with a lawyer..... I didn't have a bunch of money so I went for it on my own.
    Well after running me all over, I ended up in the probation office at my local juvenile center. The lady had me wait while she dug out the request form, when I got it I sat down right there in the seats and filled it out.
    To my recolection it asked your general info., and to list your charges and who dealt with your case etc.
    For me I was in the next county so I stated both that county and my county ((who dealt with it, They just sent me to my own county who has a juvy center))
    The way I remember it and I may be mistaken. you had to meet certain standards to get anything done, if you met a better standard then you could get them expunged better?
    any way I filled all that out and they told me I would recieve a reply in 90 days.
    Here is a description of what I recieved in the mail. 2 pages.

PAGE A: Has the heading of my local juvenile probate court.
    Adressed to me.
    Dated.

Dear So and So,
    "quoted" Your request for expungement of your juvenile records has been completed. The enclosed letter from Indiana state police is verification to us that they have also complied with your request.
    Should you have any questions please feel free to call.
    Sincerely, SO and SO
    PAGE B: Indiana state police heading.
    Adressed to my local judge and probate court
    RE: SO and SO. (me)
    DOB: xx/xx/xxxx
    DOA: xx/xx/xxxx
    CHARGE: Yeah ok
    CONTRIBUTING AGENCY: INxxxxxxxxx; INxxxxxxxx, INxxxxxxxxx
    FBI NUMBER: --- nothing here

Dear Honerable So and So:
    We are in receipt of your Order to expunge the juvenile criminal record, indicated below is the action or inaction taken per your request:
    " on my paper I have an X through the first box, here is how it looks."
    (box here) This correspondance is to notify you that there are NO arrest records indicated within the records of the Indiana state police.
    (box here) This correspondance is to notify you that the ARREST RECORD indicated has been expunged from our files.
    (box here) This correspondance is to notify you that the ARREST RECORD indicated is sealed per Indiana State STatue IC 10-13-4-13
    (box here) Our Department has NO arrest records of the above identified charges.
    if you have any questions, please contact SO and SO at telephone number xxx-xxx-xxxx Mon-Fri.
    Sincerely So and SO, Sr.
    Lieutenant

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I really don't know what to make of all of that. I did it before I tried to buy a gun or applie for LTCH just incase.
    It did not cost me a dime, just time.
    It had been right about 8 years at the time since I got in the trouble, I had never had any type of run in with the law afterward.
    I had a violation of the house arrest in which they included as one of my charges on the paper that they said they got rid of. I did not realize it was a charge, as they just stopped by my house but they added it on there.
    I go on as if it never happened and have had no issue at all.

JoeMumz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    it was sealed a year after it happend and expunged after i turned 18. Ihad a friend of the family that works as a LEO run a check on me and said that nothing comes up in either adult of juvie records. I called to find out what to write down but he told me to write no it never happened as far as anyone is concerened.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    haha. They are not shredded, omitted, destroyed, or "erased" ever. Any LE branch can view your arrest record, expunged or not. A lot of people think this, and have the misfortune of finding out othewise when they are arrested again.

then how am i able to buy any kind of gun i want?

Top Bottom