Do normal people care about Indiana being last state to outlaw alcohol on Sunday

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There re are do many battles to fight. You can't win them all. I'm fighting other battles. The only reason I would even remotely care about this is from the standpoint of Liberty. Fight it if you want. I'll fight the ones I think are more important. Not every battle is strategically important to winning the war. After the war is one, the battle may not need to be fought. I'm not against you guys changing it. I just can't get excited about it.

And that's the reason we're losing the rights we are. People can only get excited about what benefits them personally.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I called my State Senator and informed that should the repeal of the Sunday ban on carryout boozes sales ever come up, he is to vote FOR removing the ban. Yes sir.

I also told him the DUI laws need to be changed too. Double whatever it is for 1st time offenders, and make the second time punishment so horrible there can't ever be a third time. Yes sir.

I'm intolerant when it comes to DUI drivers. Yes sir.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    It's called "sunday beer", and you buy it on Saturday. Indiana men have been doing it for a long time. Keep the flame alive. Don't be a quitter, modern man.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Why should I care about having a free market? or eliminating government bloat? or personal freedom? or use of tax dollars?

Sheesh, you guys.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The OP has changed most(if not all) of his posts in this thread. Some have changed to the complete opposite meaning from the original posts. You'll need to look at any quotes that were captured to see what was really said, other wise it doesn't make any since.

It looks as though the OP was drinking on Sunday while creating and commenting in his own alcohol thread.

Bad Form! :nono:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The OP has changed most(if not all) of his posts in this thread. Some have changed to the complete opposite meaning from the original post. You'll need to look at any quotes that were captured to see what was really said, other wise it doesn't make any since.

It looks as though the OP was drinking on Sunday while creating and commenting in his own alcohol thread.

Bad Form! :nono:

Nice catch.

Kids! Don't drink and post. Maybe it is a good thing alcohol is harder to come by on Sundays or there'd be a lot more Shooters on Monday.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    As I'm reading this thread, Brad Paisley's on the radio singing "Alcohol"... :laugh:

"Alcohol"

I can make anybody pretty
    I can make you believe any lie
    I can make you pick a fight
    With somebody twice your size

I been known to cause a few break ups
    I been known to cause a few births
    I can make you new friends
    Or get you fired from Work

[1st Chorus]
    And since the day I left Milwaukee
    Lynchburg and Bordeaux France
    Been making the bars lots of big money
    And helping white people dance
    I got you in trouble in high school
    But college, now that was a ball
    You had some of the best times
    You'll never remember with me
    Alcohol
    Alcohol

I got blamed at your wedding reception
    For your best man's embarrassing speech
    And also for those
    Naked pictures of you at the beach

I've influenced kings and world leaders
    I helped Hemmingway write like he did
    And I'll bet you a drink or two that I can make you
    Put that lampshade on your head

[2nd Chorus]
    'Cause since the day I left Milwaukee
    Lynchburg and Bordeaux France
    Been making a fool out of folks just like you
    And helping white people dance
    I'm medicine and I am poison
    I can help you up or make you fall
    You had some of the best times
    You'll never remember with me
    Alcohol
    Alcohol

[Repeat 1st Chorus]

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I care and think the law should be stricken. It's just not at the top of the priorities list for me. It's not a huge inconvenience but it's a relic from prohibition that is unnecessary.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    IIRC, there's an upcoming bill in Indiana just to repeal that very law.

As far as MJ legalization, don't know that it's 'inevitable'. Not sure how that'd really work, since they'd need to alter DUI laws, etc., and smoking is illegal in almost every business nowadays. Due to the 'contact high' possibility, it probably would also be prohibited in places that now allow smoking (like taverns), and DUI laws would also be applicable to those subjected to any 'contact high', even if they don't actually smoke at all.

Contact high? Really?

Sounds like he's been spending to much time on or around Willy's bus :rockwoot:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I only skimmed the three pages of replies, so these are more-general thoughts, and not in response to anyone in particular:

1. As a matter of principle: yes, the stupid, anti-freedom law should be repealed
    2. Consumption of alcohol by adults 21 and older is a legal activity, and much like keeping and bearing arms, in a free society, it is no one else's business what alcohol a person drinks, when he chooses to drink it, or when or where he purchases it - nor does that person need anyone else's permission or blessing to make those choices.
    3. I doubt any of you "you can just buy it on Saturday" folks hold the same view regarding, say, firearm-purchase waiting periods?
    4. Similarly, I doubt the "you can go buy craft beer on Sunday" folks hold the same view regarding, say, firearm manufacturer, pistol versus revolver, or magazine capacity?
    5. Where is it dictated that allowing sales of alcohol on Sundays would force liquor stores to be open on Sundays? If it would cause them to lose money to be open on Sunday, then they can remain closed on Sunday. Free market FTW!
    6. For what little good it will do, I will refuse to purchase alcohol at any establishment that is closed on Sunday, unless that establishment supports repeal of the alcohol blue laws. (Kroger has everything I need, anyway, and I can buy my alcohol while carrying, and rub it right in MDA's collective nose.)

I would go into the reasons why and how this law, specifically, impacts me; but the reasons are irrelevant. It is the principle that matters. Saying "you should have planned ahead" or "why didn't you just buy your alcohol on Saturday?" merely implies that you think that you have the right to dictate my exercise of a lawful activity. Whether that lawful activity is consuming alcohol, carrying a firearm, going to church, or whatever - I vehemently disagree with that belief.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    2. Consumption of alcohol by adults 21 and older is a legal activity, and much like keeping and bearing arms, in a free society, it is no one else's business what alcohol a person drinks, when he chooses to drink it, or when or where he purchases it - nor does that person need anyone else's permission or blessing to make those choices.

By the Constitution it is the State's business. We are simply amending state law because of the non-utility of the current statute.

There's no hill to die on here.:D

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    By the Constitution it is the State's business. We are simply amending state law because of the non-utility of the current statute.

There's no hill to die on here.:D

Oh, I'm not looking for hills to die on. The State has deemed the consumption of alcohol to be a legal activity, for adults 21 and older. My comment was directed at those who say things like, "why do you need to drink on Sunday?" or "why couldn't you plan ahead?", etc. Those things aren't any of their business.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, actually, they are.

The Constitution allows the other monkeys in the cage to make it their business, at least in regard to booze.

I'm going to give this a shot.

Where does the U.S. Constitution say that states can regulate when alcohol is sold?

It doesn't, so the 9th Amendment means that the states don't have the power to do that and the people can do whatever they want.

I don't even care why you hate freedom.

Top Bottom