Do normal people care about Indiana being last state to outlaw alcohol on Sunday

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Can't I do both? What if I want Scotch Whisky - scotchy scotch scotch?

Well, this is INGO and the right to whine like an 8th grade girl is enshrined in the penumbra of the INGO Constitution, so . . . sure thing!

Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness necessarily cover the freedom to perform voluntary exchanges between one another; sales and commerce.

I wish you luck, but you are running directly into the reality of the text and structure of the United State Constitution.

You are making a policy argument, which is cool with me, but not with any court.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    .... and the text of the constitution...

I'll let other take on the morality arguments. I have no dog in the Sunday sales fight and fail to see it in philosophical terms. There has never been a society free of regulation, nor would I like to live in one. Keeping the regulation to a minimum is a positive thing (and only having laws that are necessary) and laws that are not arbitrary are a good thing, but other than that and Constitutional compliance, I'm a believer in the legislative process.

I would, however, be interesting in the "text" you are talking about.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'll let other take on the morality arguments. I have no dog in the Sunday sales fight and fail to see it in philosophical terms. There has never been a society free of regulation, nor would I like to live in one. Keeping the regulation to a minimum is a positive thing and laws that are not arbitrary are a good thing, but other than that and Constitutional compliance, I'm a believer in the legislative process.

I would, however, be interesting in "text" you are talking about.

As I specified in Post 375, I am referring to the inherent rights of "Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness." (See Indiana Constitution, Art. 1, Sec. 1)

To have these rights we must have the ability to voluntarily interact with our neighbors. There is no way around it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would surmise hat you wish to read that passage without judicial construction, for certainly you know that this clause has not been interpreted as you read it.

However, have you considered that an expansive reading of that clause, one that excludes judicial construction, would disallow laws that I am willing to bet you would find appropriate?

For instance, you say "voluntary" that's not in that clause. Therefore the government does not have the right to make laws punishing the involuntary interaction between neighbors?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Liquor kills people so lets start with that.....

I heard liquor only kills people on Sundays.
    That's why they banned it in the first place....

That and the Minister's drunk son that died on the bridge playing chicken.......on a Sunday.

But hey, at least we can still DANCE! :banana::banana:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I would surmise hat you wish to read that passage without judicial construction, for certainly you know that this clause has not been interpreted as you read it.

However, have you considered that an expansive reading of that clause, one that excludes judicial construction, would disallow laws that I am willing to bet you would find appropriate?

For instance, you say "voluntary" that's not in that clause. Therefore the government does not have the right to make laws punishing the involuntary interaction between neighbors?

The concept of voluntarism flows freely from the dictionary definition of Liberty:

Liberty, noun. "Freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice."

Take away "the right of doing, according to choice" (aka voluntarism), and add "hampering conditions," and the result is a deprivation of liberty.

There is no dilemma that the government lacks the authority to stop an involuntary interaction. An involuntary interaction may violate a citizens' "peace, safety, and well-being" (Art. 1, Sec. 1: reasons the government exists) and the "liberty and pursuit of happiness" (Art. 1, Sec. 1: retained rights of all Hoosiers).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ah, but you are talking about the interaction between people, not the government's right to make laws.

So what you seem to be saying is that the government has rights to make laws in ways that are implicit in the Constitutional scheme, not just explicit. Who decides what authority is implicit and what criteria do they use?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Ah, but you are talking about the interaction between people, not the government's right to make laws.

So what you seem to be saying is that the government has rights to make laws in ways that are implicit in the Constitutional scheme, not just explicit. Who decides what authority is implicit and what criteria do they use?

Governments don't have rights. People have rights. Governments have explicit authority enumerated by the people.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ... Governments have explicit authority enumerated by the people.

Not according to Rambone. There must be some sort of IMPLICIT authority. Because I've not seen where the state of Indiana has been given the EXPLICIT authority to outlaw such things as robbery, burglary, battery and rape. Can someone show me that Constitutional provision?

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    What do you think?
    I think that if you grew up in Indiana, it probably does not bother you. If you spent $200 on a race ticket, $450 on a flight, $120 on a rental car, $125 a night on a hotel, to come to a race, only to find out you can't buy booze on Sun. well, that sucks. It just seems funny to me that all of the "My man" supporters, during "daylight savings" campaign, said the rest of the country has it, and we have to support it, to bring Indiana into the progressive era. These are the same people who don't support alcohol on Sunday or car sales on Sunday. :dunno:you tell me?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Not according to Rambone. There must be some sort of IMPLICIT authority. Because I've not seen where the state of Indiana has been given the EXPLICIT authority to outlaw such things as robbery, burglary, battery and rape. Can someone show me that Constitutional provision?

Clearly we are having two different discussions.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

The tenth amendment of the US constitution is unclear?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

Don't be obtuse. Governments exist primarily to secure our rights, among these are "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." This is Federal language, but it is incorporated through the 14th Amendment.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Don't be obtuse. Governments exist primarily to secure our rights, among these are "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." This is Federal language, but it is incorporated through the 14th Amendment.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are incorporated by the 14th Amendment?

...and I am not being obtuse. It has been directly stated that the states only have the power explicitly given them in a constitution. If that's the case, we had either pass a bunch of amendments or we are SOL. The truth is, "general police powers" are implicit and need not be defined or granted a state in a constitution for it to be able to pass a law. Like it or not, this includes the "general police power" to regulate alcohol sales. It existed before the federal or state constitutions.

The issue here is not one of constitutionality, but one of legislation.....of course if someone wanted to make a constitutional "arbitrary and capricious" argument rather than "exceeding authority" argument, to me, at least, that makes more sense.

Top Bottom