• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I've always thought that a firearm is the ultimate "function over form" device. Who cares how it looks if it performs flawlessly?

At the same time, I've caught myself really admiring certain firearms, at least in part, based on their appearance. And I've also read (and participated in) several threads on this site thar have talked about how great-looking certain guns are (e.g., the Kimber line of 1911s being discussed in the current "I am Ruined" thread).

So I'm totally curious - what's your opinion - how much have "looks" factored into your firearm purchasing decisions? Be honest. ;)

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My range guns are all mint. My carry guns have a little more wear. I try to take care of all of them, but the carry guns get a little more wear and tear. Guns are a big investment, so I try to keep them in all in top shape.

I'm sure everybody has something that will draw their attention when they see it. I'm a sucker for 4.25" (or 4") 1911's, blue with dark brown cocobola grips.

But for a carry gun that you would bet your life on, it's gotta work. Every time. No matter what it looks like. I'm sure that's why Glock has such a following. A lot of people who depend on them think they are ugly, but they carry them because they know they will go bang every time they pull the trigger.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I will take a good looking reliable weapon over a ugly reliable weapon.

One of my favorite rigs is a Eclipes Pro Target II with black pearl handles sitting in a black sharkskin holster with matching sharkskin belt and double mag holder. Reliable and beautiful all at the same time.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I'm a believer in function over form, but sometimes ya just want function in a nice package. When I bought my Springfield 1911, I went in just looking for a quality 1911, but as soon as I looked at that black and stainless Springer, I had to have it. It's not often when you get to take sexy home with ya.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

One of my favorite rigs is a Eclipes Pro Target II with black pearl handles sitting in a black sharkskin holster with matching sharkskin belt and double mag holder. Reliable and beautiful all at the same time.

YOU have GOT to post a pic of that!!!!!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I like the way all of my guns look.

But I really like the way some of them look, like this...

2226side2.jpg

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Absolutely.

I want a nice 1911 for OWB carry but the low capacity and price which I consider parts of function, prevent me from purchasing one.

I admire wheelguns because of my fascination with their mechanical function, and the timeless appearance of their form. However, I'm not nearly as enamored with hammerless because although their function is the same, the form isn't nearly as beautiful to me.

I have an XD because I thought it looked better than my Glock, though functionally I feel they're nearly identical. The high level of pure function of the Glock adds to the form, which I also like and will purchase one eventually.

I was on a quest this summer to buy "non-PC" rifles because of their form alone. Functionally, they're impractical for me. I have nowhere to shoot them and I'm not building an armory.

Function is form to an extent, I find beat up old AK's to be very attractive. Plus the glock comment previously mentioned, I appreciate a gun's function as much as I do form but if I feel a gun is identical in function I will choose the more asthetically pleasing one, I much prefer the LCP over the KTP3AT.

I also have a high level of admiration for a gun with heavy holster wear, rounded de-finished edges, worn grips etc. It has the appearance of a craftsman's toolset, forged to a comfortable custom piece through years of use. However an abused rusty gun doesn't have the draw of one that has a beautiful work-forged patina.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    ... Function is form to an extent, I find beat up old AK's to be very attractive... I also have a high level of admiration for a gun with heavy holster wear, rounded de-finished edges, worn grips etc. It has the appearance of a craftsman's toolset, forged to a comfortable custom piece through years of use. However an abused rusty gun doesn't have the draw of one that has a beautiful work-forged patina.

Agreed. Firearms with character always catch my eye. Especially military arms that have seen battlefield wear.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down

Eclipse is my favorite. I almost bought an Eclipse Pro Target for a carry gun, but went for a Pro Tactical instead because I wanted the alloy frame and fixed sights vs. steel and adjustable. I was worried about the adjustable sights hanging up on a carry piece. Have you had any problems with the sights catching on your shirt, etc.?

Sorry everybody. Not trying to jack the thread.

SBrown

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Evansville for now
    At the present time I am looking to get a functional pistol, so looks are secondary to reliability. I am more of a utilitarian so I am not concerned with a firearms looks...

But I wouldn't mind one of these though

Colt-python.jpg

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    For standard carry weapons i like them to look pretty cool. No bling bling stainless with gold accents though. Just a nice OD ceracoate with cool grips. For old military weapons i'd have to agree with rattlesnake. Its nice to see the battle wounds and think about their history.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't care what they look like as long as they do what I need them to do. Looks do matter some in so far as it affects function, I like for them to blend in in as much as possible. Camo, black, tan etc. whatever it takes for the application. No fluorescent green for me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I carry a Glock, so I think you can figure out what I put first. :D

That does not mean, however, that I don't have an appreciation for aesthetically appealing guns.

Top Bottom