Do ALL Saiga 7.62x39 take standard AK mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    If/when I buy a Saiga 7.62x39 do I need to watch out for a "California-compliant" version that only takes 10-round mags or anything like that? I remember that some WASR versions had that "feature".

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    First, change the "if" to just all "when"- everybody needs a Saiga:D

So far as I know, you only have to keep an eye out for the California stuff if you are getting a build from Arsenal or some other conversion company. These will be clearly marketed as compliant rifles. If you buy a stock version off the shelf and do the conversion yourself (recommended), you have nothing to worry about.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    By default a stock Saiga in sportster condition will only support the Saiga 10 rounders. You must add a bullet guide to the front trunnion to allow the use of all AK47 magazines. At that point your 10 round mag won't fit without a modification, but who cares about it?

Now don't go thinking you can just add a bullet guide and get 30 rounds. No. At that point you've turned your mild mannered sporting gun into an evil black assault weapon according to the BATFE. And since it has over ten itemized items made in a foreign country you'd be on the wrong side of the law.

Read up on the conversion process here and at the Saiga 12 forums. Specifically, the 922r compliance.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the mag opening is a standard opening, and they will all except double stack magazines, but standard 30 round AK mags typically won't lock into the mag catch. Its to tall and needs to be cut down just a bit for the standard mags to fit.

You also need to add a bullet guide.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    How difficult is it to add the bullet guide and modify the standard AK mags? The Saiga factory mags are like $30 each for 30 rnd. Seems more economical to install the guide and buy standard mags.

I found a couple posts about the taps breaking while trying to install the guide. WTF do you do if you actually get the broken tap out? Re-tap it with larger tap?

Wondering if a buying a Wasr-10 w/o needed mods would be simpler.

Thanks.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You don't have to modify standard AK mags.

When you get your saiga the magazines it comes with have a slightly higher rear tab and the front of the mag acts as the bullet guide bumping the bullet up as it gets shoved into the barrel. When you do a conversion you use standard Ak mags requiring you to file down the mag catch to standard AK size...You just keep filing until an AK mag fits. Now your mags will fit but they won't function as well since standard Ak mags don't have the bump in the front to guide the bullet into the chamber. To add a bullet guide all you do is buy one, drill and tap a hole, put it in and voila. You can buy kits at CSS. It's really easy to do. Go to carolina shooters supply and order one for the rifle you're converting.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I found a couple posts about the taps breaking while trying to install the guide. WTF do you do if you actually get the broken tap out? Re-tap it with larger tap?
    Go slow - real slow. Like a quarter turn of cutting then back it out and repeat. When you snap a tap use a nail punch and hammer to push out the tap and/or bust it apart. Drill the hole clean an try again.

I busted two taps. Remember to add a drop of red Loctite.

Wondering if a buying a Wasr-10 w/o needed mods would be simpler.

Yes, but you lose the sense of pride. :cool:

If you do modify a sporter Saiga, please familiarize yourself laws concerning this.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Go slow - real slow. Like a quarter turn of cutting then back it out and repeat. When you snap a tap use a nail punch and hammer to push out the tap and/or bust it apart. Drill the hole clean an try again.

I busted two taps. Remember to add a drop of red Loctite.

Seems like the Loctite would make it harder to tap. :D

I usually try to use a good fluid while tapping. I forget what mine is called, Tap Magic or something like that.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I use cutting / drilling oil. It's now in a squeeze bottle so I don't know the brand or name but I remember that I bought it at Home Depot.

Top Bottom