• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Respect tends to be a mutual thing, unless you have something to hide.

I dont have anything to hide. to me its about the sanctity of my rights. any cop that ask to search my car, step in my house, ask where ive been, the answer will ALWAYS BE NO and none of your business!!!! get a warrant if you wanna look that bad. and of coarse they will find nothing. so what if it waste half my day or i get detained waiting, i dont care. i obey the law and so will they!!! DONT TREAD ON ME!!!! police are getting far too much power because of travesties like the patriot act. the U.S. Military is constetutionaly not allowed to operate missions on U.S. soil. but now a lot of police depts. think they are military or federal govt. THEY ARE NOT!!! They are civil servants (civilians enforcing the law and protecting civilians). that means they are PEOPLE put in place BY THE PEOPLE to maintain order and enforce the laws WE THE PEOPLE elected people to pass. PLEASE DONT JUST SUBMIT because you are asked to in a nice or a threatening manner (police use scare tactcs, dont fall for it!! they cant put you in prison, only a judge and a jury of your peers can), if someone ask to violate your rights TELL THEM TO STICK IT IN A FIRM WAY!!! learn your right!! I carry a copy of the constitution in my vehicle. Many GOOD people and some of my friends have died to protect our rights, please dont discrace their memory by just handing your rights away.

And to the many good cops out there that try their best to protect us and PROTECT OUR RIGHTS and not violate them. I SALUTE YOU!!! i know its very hard in your jobs sometimes because you are under high political preasure and peer preasure to mayby bend things sometimes. but im proud and thankfull to have you good cops that protect and stand up for whats right for us citizens!! thank you from the bottom of my heart.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Plus, you forgot this.....

Building a shed or adding on to your house? Then the county will most likely trespass to see if you have followed code and have ALL your permits.

So, If you want to hunt, guess what. The COs are going to "tresspass" if they have seen hunters. It is their job to make sure you are hunting LEGALLY! Your property or not!

...Did I invite the county out to inspect my work? And to see if I had my permits? NO, I just wanted to add onto MY HOME!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Respect tends to be a mutual thing, unless you have something to hide.

I have plenty to hide. Every thing that is MY business and NOT any one else's business. I have a VERY cordial relationship with every CO I've ever met in person as far as I can tell but it could get less so if I were suddenly notice they've been snooping around my place with out my permission or invitation. My little pile of junk next to the barn I'm too lazy to pickup or the junk water heated outside the back door waiting for warm weather to harvest the copper fittings and heating elements is not something I hightlight. It's no one else's business and it's not the law's business.

They have their "invite" and it extends to the terms it was given under, no more.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You signed your hunting license didn't you??

That's completely irrelevant. There is a difference between an invitee by contract and a law enforcement officer carrying out their legal duties and a trespasser. You may not agree with LEOs coming onto your land (I don't), but comparing them to the meter reader is fatuous. And no, I didn't sign a hunting license, I hunt my own property.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    That's completely irrelevant. There is a difference between an invitee by contract and a law enforcement officer carrying out their legal duties and a trespasser. You may not agree with LEOs coming onto your land (I don't), but comparing them to the meter reader is fatuous. And no, I didn't sign a hunting license, I hunt my own property.

Well, I hope you didn't shoot any bucks! That would be ILLEGAL without a BUCK TAG. Which is needed even on your own property! Does can be shot on your property without a permit.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have plenty to hide. Every thing that is MY business and NOT any one else's business. I have a VERY cordial relationship with every CO I've ever met in person as far as I can tell but it could get less so if I were suddenly notice they've been snooping around my place with out my permission or invitation. My little pile of junk next to the barn I'm too lazy to pickup or the junk water heated outside the back door waiting for warm weather to harvest the copper fittings and heating elements is not something I hightlight. It's no one else's business and it's not the law's business.

They have their "invite" and it extends to the terms it was given under, no more.

Actually, Jack, while I agree with you in principle, according to the law your expectation of privacy does not extend to the curtilage around your dwelling.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Are they the guys that drive the white explorers with green lettering that says Law Enforcement (something or another) on them? I think the logo has trees or something on it too. I see a truck like that around Bloomington every so often.

If he's got a gun he is.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Actually, Jack, while I agree with you in principle, according to the law your expectation of privacy does not extend to the curtilage around your dwelling.

If they can see it from off my property they are welcome to look, from there. When they step on my property with out my knowledge or permission it is an insult and a violation of my right to own property and make use of it as I please.

I'll take it as such and respond in kind regardless of who it is or their alphabet affiliations.

Last edited:

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    *sigh* Citation, please?

I might be wrong about the BUCK TAG, Couldn't find it. But, i did find this...

License Exemptions

Landowners or lessees of farmland
    who farm that land and are residents of
    Indiana, their spouses and children living
    with them, while hunting, fishing or trapping
    on the land they own or lease. This
    exemption does not apply to land owned
    by a business, corporation or partnership
    unless the shareholders, partners, members
    or owners are comprised solely of
    the members of an immediate family and
    farm that land. Farmland means agricultural
    land that is devoted or best adaptable
    for the production of crops, fruits,
    timber or the raising of livestock, or is
    assessed as agricultural land for property
    tax purposes.

So, you must FARM the land.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I might be wrong about the BUCK TAG, Couldn't find it. But, i did find this...

License Exemptions

Landowners or lessees of farmland
    who farm that land and are residents of
    Indiana, their spouses and children living
    with them, while hunting, fishing or trapping
    on the land they own or lease. This
    exemption does not apply to land owned
    by a business, corporation or partnership
    unless the shareholders, partners, members
    or owners are comprised solely of
    the members of an immediate family and
    farm that land. Farmland means agricultural
    land that is devoted or best adaptable
    for the production of crops, fruits,
    timber or the raising of livestock, or is
    assessed as agricultural land for property

tax purposes.

So, you must FARM the land.

I do son, I do. My land is taxed agricultural, and I grow timber (which IS considered agriculture by the DNR for hunting purposes), and I make part of my living from it. Point being, I am VERY familiar with the hunting regulations concerning what and how I may hunt my property. More than you seem to be.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I do son, I do. My land is taxed agricultural, and I grow timber (which IS considered agriculture by the DNR for hunting purposes), and I make part of my living from it. Point being, I am VERY familiar with the hunting regulations concerning what and how I may hunt my property. More than you seem to be.

Hahaha:bowdown:

I have over 500 acres in trees, and I do make my living on it!

I hunt EVERY year, and am quite familiar with the regulations. Sorry, about the mix up on that one.

I also have a depredation permit for the deer which damage my trees. So I will just shoot the da*mN things out of season...:ar15:

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I was told this past year by a DNR officer he could come onto my property , if he was investigating an "official complaint" , this means someone called to complain about me hunting on my property.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Unfortunately our property rights are seldom absolute. As was pointed out above, several classes of persons may come on your property and they will not be tresspassing. Here are some examples that I have run into:

The County Surveyor does not tresspass when going onto private property in the performance of his duties. If he hires other surveyors to assist him in the performance of his duties then they aren't tresspassing either.

The Sanitarian of the Local Health Department and the County Building Inspector both have immunity for actions done in the performance of their duties. Around here a person warned the Sanitarian and the Building Inspector away at gun point when they came on his land to investigate a zoning violation. The landowner, after a years long legal battle, recently pled guilty to the charge of pointing a firearm.

If you have pipelines or other utilities running over or under your property then there could be easments granting others permission to inspect those utilities. Sometimes they have the right to do things like cut down trees and clear brush.

Often not every road in rural areas has been developed. Counties can hold right of ways in places where they have a right to put a road in but no road has ever been built. These areas can be problematic when someone uses an undeveloped right of way to cross another person's property.

I am not saying that I agree with these situations, I am just pointing out that things aren't always as cut and dried when it comes to tresspass. Beginning the confrontation by pulling a gun on someone or doing something to make them angry may backfire if you aren't sure of your position.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Unfortunately our property rights are seldom absolute. As was pointed out above, several classes of persons may come on your property and they will not be tresspassing. Here are some examples that I have run into:

The County Surveyor does not tresspass when going onto private property in the performance of his duties. If he hires other surveyors to assist him in the performance of his duties then they aren't tresspassing either.

The Sanitarian of the Local Health Department and the County Building Inspector both have immunity for actions done in the performance of their duties. Around here a person warned the Sanitarian and the Building Inspector away at gun point when they came on his land to investigate a zoning violation. The landowner, after a years long legal battle, recently pled guilty to the charge of pointing a firearm.

If you have pipelines or other utilities running over or under your property then there could be easments granting others permission to inspect those utilities. Sometimes they have the right to do things like cut down trees and clear brush.

Often not every road in rural areas has been developed. Counties can hold right of ways in places where they have a right to put a road in but no road has ever been built. These areas can be problematic when someone uses an undeveloped right of way to cross another person's property.

I am not saying that I agree with these situations, I am just pointing out that things aren't always as cut and dried when it comes to tresspass. Beginning the confrontation by pulling a gun on someone or doing something to make them angry may backfire if you aren't sure of your position.

My point exactly. I should have put tresspassing in quotes!

Well, let's think about this...

You want power for your home? Duke energy (or your provider) is going to tresspass MONTHLY to check your meter.

Trash pick-up? (I have a dumpster) Then the trash company trespasses weekly to check the dumpster.

Building a shed or adding on to your house? Then the county will most likely trespass to see if you have followed code and have ALL your permits.

So, If you want to hunt, guess what. The COs are going to "tresspass" if they have seen hunters. It is their job to make sure you are hunting LEGALLY! Your property or not!

Scout11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    25 years ago the CO would pull up to the cabin- knock, we would invite him in for coffee, he would ask us about our hunting and so forth. these new guys slither in from the back- no orange on, scare my 12 year old and don't have the respect to come see me (property owner)100 yards away????? Yes I'm sure there are good CO's doing their jobs like the one 25 years ago- they have done this twice now- lot of what if's here and it is a great discussion, not looking for legal advice- just want respect for what is mine. I will call and kindly ask them to explain- I've never had anything to hide- just come through the front - good thing I taught my son gun safety or they probably would have a slug in them not having orange on.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    good thing I taught my son gun safety or they probably would have a slug in them not having orange on.

So if you did have a poacher, a trespasser or a meth cook hiding out on your property, you would want them to have on their orange hat, gloves and pants so the violator could get away?

You must remember that hunter orange is only required for someone in the pursuit of certain game species during deer firearms season, not while searching for violators or someone taking a walk. Proper target identification is key to safety in the woods, not wearing hunter orange.

Top Bottom