• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So, I'm getting really excited about the 1911 I bought from Bud's last week. I went out on my lunch break to buy 200 rounds of .45 target ammo. That's about the right count for brass I can cycle through. As I was coming to terms with the ammo prices (better than this weekend's show though), I walked to the counter to see how inflated their prices were. . . . .

It's been a while since I've bought a handgun, but what I saw got really disappointed me. The 1911 I got was a Dan Wesson Valor. Not a cheap gun. The MSRP on the website is $1701. I got mine from Bud's for $1399. I think a fair deal. I was expecting to see $1799 on the price tag. They didn't have the same model I got, but the similar gun they had was the duty coated V-Bob. CS-USA lists MSRP at $2077. Basically $375 to bob it and coat it. Black has some sex appeal, so although I think it's a bit excessive, CZ's market research probably makes that fair too. They had it priced at $2499! $422 over MSRP. You'd think they would, with their massive buying power at most ask MSRP. 20.3% over MSRP??? Shame on you GM.

What made this worse, is outside they had big banners and signs saying "Clearance Sale - up to 75% off".

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I'll pile on... I was in there Saturday. They had Magpul MOE stocks for ~$70. They are $40 msrp, and can regularly be found for as low as $25 online.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I avoid the gun section at Gander and just go there for fishing stuff.
    There are some pretty good deals on clothes and gear and other stuff, just not on guns.
    Gander is for first time gun buyers that are too lazy to shop around or go to a gun show.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Obviously there are enough happily uneducated buyers out there to keep Gander in the gun business. I actually saw a good deal on a 1911 there a couple of weeks ago but didn't want to drop the coin. The price there was cheaper than Buds!

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Its mind boggling really. I use GM for gun-fondling purposes and occasional ammo deal, but will never buy a gun from them. I like the store itself, but their guns are just way too overpriced

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Sometimes they are overpriced and sometimes they are not. I got a good deal there on an LCP and an S&W M&P9. It would have been the same price at any other LGS. Just know the prices of what you are looking for....

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Got to know what to buy and when, I bought a set of CAA grips for $35.00, regular price $75.00 :):, if I bought them at regular price shame on me.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    i have seen a picture someone took of the price for a used rock island 1911. It was for $1400 which was over $1000 more than rural king had it on sale for that week.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It would be interesting to know how many of those over priced guns they sell at their listed prices. I've heard more than one gun shop owner say it's very difficult to make much money selling new guns. It's possible, as someone said up thread, they count on the less knowledgable or, another option maybe is, they count on the impulse buyer to pay those prices.

It's fair to report outlandish prices but count yourself fortunate that you've educated yourself on the other pricing options available to you out there.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I got my XD(M) there for a decent price, it was only about $20 more than what it would have been at Bud's. I wonder if they just mark up the high end stuff as much as they can.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Oh FFS. Shall we start a thread every time Kroger charges $1.89 for eggs when they are $1.39 at Aldi? It's a free country; shop where you want. These Gander-bashing threads and the accompanying indignation get tiresome.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Oh FFS. Shall we start a thread every time Kroger charges $1.89 for eggs when they are $1.39 at Aldi? It's a free country; shop where you want. These Gander-bashing threads and the accompanying indignation get tiresome.

I got 1/2 gallons of milk last night at Kroger for $0.99. :yesway:

Didn't check the price of eggs, though. :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I don't appreciate being nannied whether it's from the government or others who know better what to do with my money than I do.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Are you suggesting that people simply buy what they want where they want and stop complaining about what they don't​ buy?

Top Bottom