• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Von Mises

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Undisclosed Location
    My press is a Dillon RL 550B that I bought used, but showed absolutely no signs wear.

After approximately 3,500 loads, the machine started to stiffen up to the point where the handle would not locate on the neutral position between pressing the round, and the primer. Oiling didn’t help, so I took the machine down for inspection.

The Right Link Arm (pn 13474) has galled around the Hollow Link Arm Pin (pn 13881). Disassembly revealed the following damage to the Link Arm (see pictures). Apparently some casting sand was embedded in a porous cavity in the Arm, and caused the failure.

I considered several aproaches to this repair, along with engineering improvements to preclude future failures:
    1 Ream the original arm and replace.
    2 Ream all pivot point holes, Press in oilite bushings, and use reduced diameter pins.
    3 Machine and tap all pivot points for grease fittings.
    4 Machine all pivot points for oil holes.
    5 Call Dillon and test their warranty.

A combination of option 4 & 5 were selected. A quick call to Dillon and a new Right Link Arm, Hollow Link Pin, and a Shell Plate Platform alignment tool was dispatched without question or cost. Upon inspecting the new Link Arm, It appears that Dillon and I had the same idea, as the new Arm was machined for oiling.

The old arm was machined as a test, then all pivot points were machined. I had to make sure that the oil holes would be in a position to hold oil when at rest.

Indeed, the Dillon warranty is exactly as stated.

002DamageII.jpg

003DamageII.jpg

007DamagedparttestZ.jpg

013OilholedetailII.jpg

015BackinbusinessX.jpg

Von Mises

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Undisclosed Location
    I can't say enough good things about Dillon, as you can see I do use them myself and any problems you might have are normally quickly rectified.

Awesome setup you have there. Do you find reloading to bethreaputic?

If you reload a large number of shotshells, you should try the Ponsness-Warren shotshell reloaders. That is if you haven’t yet.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I don't use a Dillon but know a number of people who do and they all speak very highly of the warranty and customer service. Many of them bought their presses used and still had outstanding service from Dillon.

I did have a friend though that bought a used square deal and had tons of problems with it. It seems it was very finicky and he never really got it to work properly on his own even with help from the factory. He finally got help from a fellow Square Deal user and now it appears to be fine. I would be wary of a device that required such fine tuning. Of course this could have been a isolated case.

Von Mises

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Undisclosed Location
    I don't use a Dillon but know a number of people who do and they all speak very highly of the warranty and customer service. Many of them bought their presses used and still had outstanding service from Dillon.

I did have a friend though that bought a used square deal and had tons of problems with it. It seems it was very finicky and he never really got it to work properly on his own even with help from the factory. He finally got help from a fellow Square Deal user and now it appears to be fine. I would be wary of a device that required such fine tuning. Of course this could have been a isolated case.

Indeed, when something gets out of whack, the Dilllon can be a handful. It’s a good idea to have an alignment tool on hand.

Top Bottom