• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    On a side note, we loaded 700 rounds of .45 SWC in 90 minutes Monday:yesway: using the 650XL

This is a new subliminal thought & purchase re-direction technique I learned,, 650xl,,, I thought I would 650xl try it out and see 650xl how it works.

700 rounds in 90 minutes isn't the best selling argument for a 650... I can EASILY meet that rate on my 550. 500 rounds typically takes me ~55 minutes. If you include filling primer tubes, you could make it ~70 minutes.

I usually figure 1.5 hrs (90 minutes) total to fill primer tubes, verify my powder dump, load 500 rounds, and then clean the primer system.

Most people I've talked to using a 650 are getting ~700 per hour... not enough of a difference for me to be tempted to upgrade (unless I was to get a 650 for small-primer ammo and keep my 550 for large primer work)...

-rvb

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    we were not trying to set any kind of speed record, this is my first time loading and 700 in 90 minutes was great, we stopped to load primers, cases, inspected some rounds, powder, O.A.L. etc and chitt-chatted, no rush,,, if it can load more rounds per hour than I do, thats even better

also, after weighing all of the pros and cons, 550 vs 650, vs Hornady, I did what I typically do,,, I bought the best loader (or whatever) I could afford at the time, which happened to be the 650, it was worth the extra $125 cost difference to me to not have to manually index the shell plate, and I liked having the 5th station for an option, but thats just me.

So far, my opinion is that Dillon is a solid product, a person can't go wrong either way..:yesway::yesway:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    we were not trying to set any kind of speed record, this is my first time loading and 700 in 90 minutes was great, we stopped to load primers, cases, inspected some rounds, powder, O.A.L. etc and chitt-chatted, no rush,,, if it can load more rounds per hour than I do, thats even better

also, after weighing all of the pros and cons, 550 vs 650, vs Hornady, I did what I typically do,,, I bought the best loader (or whatever) I could afford at the time, which happened to be the 650, it was worth the extra $125 cost difference to me to not have to manually index the shell plate, and I liked having the 5th station for an option, but thats just me.

So far, my opinion is that Dillon is a solid product, a person can't go wrong either way..:yesway::yesway:

Agree 100% with your last.All progressive type machines are amazing to my simple mind.

Glocker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    How many rounds do you reload, and, does your left thumb / hand / etc. get sore from turning that index wheel repeatedly?

I don't want to pay the money and find there's an irritating ergonomic issue I could have avoided by paying a little more...thanks for your help!

I load between 200 and 500 rounds of either 40sw or 223 in a sitting and no my hand doesn't get sore

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In

I have an old 450/550 that I have been using since about 1981. Nothing
    sore-other than when primers, bullets went up. If you are not going to
    load rifle, check out the Sq Deal. No shellplate turning. I load about
    100 at a time with either press. I check powder level on each case.
    Check the powder drop about every 25. After I load 100. I fill the
    primer tube, powder measure, and case gauge each round and put them
    in a plastic box. Mark the box with, bullet wt,powder charge. This has
    worked for me for over 30 yrs of reloading. I may load slower, but my
    rnds work. Good luck

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have a 550 that I've been loading on for about 15+ years now. No hand problems what so ever and currently I'm shooting around 500 rounds per week of .45 not to mention 9mm and 38 special. I just ordered a new Dillon XL650 Monday just to get something bigger and better but I will keep my 550 for rifle and all of my other low round count ammo.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    i probable have 10000rds thru the dillon. it has beena great machine except for my mess ups. i bent a part on my machine and dillon sent me out a new part free of charge. it was only about 4 days till i had it. they do mean no bs warranty. i have never had any sores or wounds from operating the the press.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    700 rounds in 90 minutes isn't the best selling argument for a 650... I can EASILY meet that rate on my 550. 500 rounds typically takes me ~55 minutes. If you include filling primer tubes, you could make it ~70 minutes.
    +1 that's slow poking it with a 650 ;)

I can load 100 rounds every 10 minutes (actually about 9:52) using my Square Deal B. Granted that is absolutely as fast as I can go and refilling the primers via the spare primer tubes I have. Add 60 seconds on for filling a primer tube, so 11 minutes for 100 rounds including that.

On a more comfortable level I could do about 500 rounds an hour with the SDB but at this point I just load 100 rounds after dinner and getting into the basement, loading 100 and getting back upstairs takes 15 minutes. Much easier in my day to do it that way rather than take an hour to crank out 500, even though it takes an extra 15 minutes per 500 rounds.

That's for pistol cartridges obviously.

Back on topic:

I was loading my 9mm on a friends press for the past year, a 550b and I'd load for about an hour at a time. I could load on the 550b about as fast as the SDB, the 550b index is very easy and it's natural to turn it as you place the bullet. Never got my thumb sore.

FWIW I find the auto-index of the SDB to not be as cool as you would think because the 550b has a lot more room to when accessing the stations and that makes it easier to place the bullet and brass.

I'm still torn on if I'll get another SDB to load 9mm on or if I'll get a 550b for that.

EDIT: Just saw that was his first time loading, great job then, sorry, reading it for the first time it seemed like that was your normal routine ;)

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    You have Bite the Bullet in Seymour IN. Bob is a Dillon dealer if you want to see one in person and talk to somebody. Last I was in there he was loading on a 550 and a couple of 650's in his shop.

If you oder one by mail get it from Brian Enos. It will direct ship from Dillon but you will get free shipping from him and save sales tax. Brian is real good to deal with too.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    yup

You have Bite the Bullet in Seymour IN. Bob is a Dillon dealer if you want to see one in person and talk to somebody. Last I was in there he was loading on a 550 and a couple of 650's in his shop.

If you oder one by mail get it from Brian Enos. It will direct ship from Dillon but you will get free shipping from him and save sales tax. Brian is real good to deal with too.

2nd that on Bob's shop. Give him a call first and tell him what you want to do. Great guy. Then, buy some donuts and head on over. If you are new to reloading he is a super resource. I think if you bought a Dillon press through him the relationship would be worth any $$ savings you could gain by buying from the Brian Enos site. The Enos site is a treasure chest of Dillon info too... Just my :twocents:...I really like buying from a local shop/private business if I can, AND if I can sense or justify the added cost to me in exchange for added value. Bob is old school and does just that...:cool:

Pappy

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Been using the 550 for years. Usually do 300 rounds at a time, and have never had an issue... Plus it's hard to beat Dillon's warranty/customer service!

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Been using the 550 for years. Usually do 300 rounds at a time, and have never had an issue... Plus it's hard to beat Dillon's warranty/customer service!

+1 on this!! Their customer service is excellent. I bent the failsafe powder rod on mine. Dropped it and stepped on it. Called them they sent a new one free of charge.

Top Bottom