• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I got a call Saturday from ny niece, (she works for some big east coast medical company that supplies hospitals with high dollar I don't know what. She does presentations in big cities all over the US) she is in Chicago at a trade show at McCormic Place and wants my wife and I to join her fof dinner.

I havn' t seen her in 15 years and would really love to spend the evening with her.
    BUT! Chicago?

I live very close to the State line and never willingly cross it.

I talked to my wife and decided to go concealed, however, cumstances kept her at the booth until 9PM and she had to leave directly for the airport at noon when the show ended. So the point became moot.

What would you do? :dunno:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I may get flamed for this, but I would not carry in Chicago. They take that very seriously and the chances of getting caught are higher than the chances of a violent crime. Just keep aware of your surroundings and you will be just another of the thousands of tourists in downtown Chicago. I have been downtown dozens of times and never felt threatened.

If you get caught, your screwed. Major expenses in court costs, possible jail time, attorney cost, plus loosing your LTCH back home, to me it's not worth the risk.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    i'm like you, i never go to illinois unless i have too, but sometimes, I HAVE TOO. i would/will never carry into the people's republic off illinois, getting caught mean's at the very least a loss of my ltch, probably my gun's altogether and possible jail time, especially crook county!! i carry a knife if i go and keep situational awareness at a very high level. i know some will say it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six, but a gun is not your only weapon. or at least it shouldn't be

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I'd suck it up and act like a man. Chicago isn't instant death the second you step foot in there without a gun. If you are relying on your gun for 100% of your self-defense, then you've already lost.

Leave the gun at home or secure it as required by law, and go visit your niece. Because missing out on a chance to spend time with family because you're afraid to go without your gun is just meritless.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    No carry in Commie-land. I go to Chicago pretty frequently, and I just have to suck it up. Once when I was young(er) and stupid(er) I carried into Chicago, brought my pistol into the hotel, and had the front desk guy lock it away in their safety deposit box. I recall he looked at me very strangely at the time, but didn't say a word. I picked it up the next morning and came back to Indianapolis. Didn't realize until years later how close I came to having a really bad day.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'd suck it up and act like a man. Chicago isn't instant death the second you step foot in there without a gun. If you are relying on your gun for 100% of your self-defense, then you've already lost.

Leave the gun at home or secure it as required by law, and go visit your niece. Because missing out on a chance to spend time with family because you're afraid to go without your gun is just meritless.

Exactly this. I don't live my entire life around whether or not I can have my carry piece with me all the time. And I wouldn't break the law over it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I may get flamed for this, but I would not carry in Chicago. They take that very seriously and the chances of getting caught are higher than the chances of a violent crime. Just keep aware of your surroundings and you will be just another of the thousands of tourists in downtown Chicago. I have been downtown dozens of times and never felt threatened.

If you get caught, your screwed. Major expenses in court costs, possible jail time, attorney cost, plus loosing your LTCH back home, to me it's not worth the risk.
    +1+1+1. This is the only sane way to act in Illinois, especially Chi Town.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

the real question is:

picture.php

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Take some pepper spray and a big Rambo knife. At least with those you will feel like you are carrying something and won't go through total withdraw. And don't mess around with Leroy Brown!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Take some pepper spray and a big Rambo knife. At least with those you will feel like you are carrying something and won't go through total withdraw. And don't mess around with Leroy Brown!
    The problem is any carry knife with I believe over a 2in. blade is a no go in Chi-town. They are seriously messed up.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would never suggest breaking the law. As much as I HATE having to be unarmed, I still would not carry in Chicago. The consequenses could keep you unarmed for good. This is one of the things that separates us from the bad guys, we legally carry firearms.

As far as that situation... I would most likely suck it up and go. I have been to Chicago plenty of times for less important reasons so if it were to see a family member for the first time in over a decade I would most likely go.

Glock22-27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Funny thing is I work right over the boarder in crook county (ford heights) and everyone I know that carrys in IN carrys there gun with them to ILL in there car. Of course hidden.....I don't cause I am usually doing atleast 10 over the speed limit and chances are good that I'll get pulled over lol.

Also Ill add that prolly 5 out of 10 ILL residents that I work with carry loaded pistols in there vehicles at all times. I guess they think the risk of being caught out weighs knowing they can protect there life.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Funny thing is I work right over the boarder in crook county (ford heights) and everyone I know that carrys in IN carrys there gun with them to ILL in there car. Of course hidden.....I don't cause I am usually doing atleast 10 over the speed limit and chances are good that I'll get pulled over lol.

Also Ill add that prolly 5 out of 10 ILL residents that I work with carry loaded pistols in there vehicles at all times. I guess they think the risk of being caught out weighs knowing they can protect there life.

INGO FAQ:

But what if I'm going TO Illinois, not just passing through? Since Illinois is my destination, the Federal Peaceable Journey Statute doesn't really apply, does it?
    It's actually not as complicated as you think. Lock the firearm in a secure container, completely unloaded, but the ammunition CAN be in the same container (even loaded in a magazine... just don't have the mag loaded in the firearm!). Melensdad did some great explaining in this thread here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_...il_friday.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_2n...ck_answer.html

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Exactly this. I don't live my entire life around whether or not I can have my carry piece with me all the time. And I wouldn't break the law over it.

+1. If that were the case, I'd never go half the places I've been. I hit the last of the 50 US states this past summer. All without a sidearm and, I know this may be hard to believe, we were never killed in all that time.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    If you carry your no better than the criminals. I don't like it either but ( putting on my flame proof suit ) my wife's family is all from Chicago originally :runaway::runaway::runaway: and we go there to visit a couple times a year. I don't like it but hey it's not the end of the world. Be a man and go visit your niece.

Top Bottom