• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Two buddies of mine, with two different types and colors of deer.

picisto-20131126100751-912293.jpg

I've only ever seen bucks like the lighter one in this picture. This one was taken near Springville in Lawrence County.

The chocolate deer was taken by INGOer MNOONAN near Bloomfield in Green Country. Noonan says he's only seen these darker ones in his area.

Is this a deer age thing? Or are there different "colors" of Whitetails?

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I believe it is just a something unique to each deer and not an age related issue. I believe that unique characteristics such as colors and antler shapes and so on can be seen in a local herd. A area I hunt has produced several bucks over the years with main beams that curve back around so that the tips are very near each other.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am not sure of the cause, but I had never seen a darker deer like the one on the right until I moved to Indiana. Even now, they are few and far between. I have hunted extensively in Michigan and Illinois without ever noticing one. This isn't to say they aren't present in those states too, but it is interesting and adds to the character of the deer.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Just deer and their unique genetics. No different than people, even of the same race people have different skin tones and hair colors.

All of these deer are from this fall. The lightest and dark gray/black one came off the same farm, shot 150 yards apart. The darker brown deer, about 5 miles away.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I saw a doe and a yearling the other day coming home from the store. They were both black and tan. Not dark tan but black and tan. They looked so strange. I have also seen gray deer around here. At one time I thought they were all shades of tan around here. Not so much any more.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have seen several really dark does both in Indiana and Pennsylvania. I just attrbutted it to genetics as in both areas, the deer are all eating pretty much the same food.

Top Bottom