Differences between sw9ve and M&P version?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of the differences between the sw9ve and the m&p9? All i know of is the price. Budsgunshop.com has the sw9ve at 300 and the other at 535. Basically I am wondering if the m &p is really $235 better than the sw9ve? I own a sw9ve and I love it! granted it was the first handgun I owned after a horrible experience with a hi point 9 mm but it just feels right to me. I have my trigger broken in pretty well, I've never had any failures with it. I am considering using my sw9ve as my carry piece or upgrading possibly to the m&p. I know i have heard good things about the m&p and bad things about the sw9ve, so if i love my sw9ve am I going to like the m&p that much more?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of the differences between the sw9ve and the m&p9?

Apples and oranges; they are entirely different guns. The M&P borrows the trigger (the part itself, not the length or feel) from the Sigma, but that's about it.

Upgrading from your SW9VE would be well worth it, IMO.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have never owned or fired the Sigma pistols, but I absolutely love my M&P 9c. I have tried many other guns and I think the 9c is about the perfect carry pistol.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Apples and oranges; they are entirely different guns. The M&P borrows the trigger (the part itself, not the length or feel) from the Sigma, but that's about it.

As an owner of each of these pistols (a few times over), I would agree that they are entirely different animals. I would disagree that the M&P borrows anything at all from the Sigma line.

The trigger linkage and sears are about as different as they can be. See below:

Sigma schematic:
    BROWNELLS : Schematic for Smith & Wesson® Sigma SW9V - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

M&P schematic:
    BROWNELLS : Schematic for Smith & Wesson® M&P (Semi-Auto) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

If you liked your Sigma, you will LOVE the M&P... I did.

PhilMcCrackin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2009

Not to sound like a jerk but......GUN SNOB!!!!!

The best pistol for carry and self defense is a reliable pistol that you shoot well with period. It does not matter if it is not the latest and greatest.

I like and could afford a Glock does that mean I would suggest trading up to a Glock? NO!!!!!

a.bentonab if you like the feel of you Sigma and shoot well with it spend the money on ammo!!!!!:ar15:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I bought a sw40ve (or whatever the excact model is) and shot it 50 times what a POS, I really thing Smith made a big mistake making the junk

I sold the cheapy and bought a M&P and it is blowing me away. I am using the M&P in place of match guns right now. I've been very impressed with the M&P.

The sigma will not satisfy any but the most basic needs, it does go bang but the trigger on the thing has a feel that will cause accuracy problems until you really really tune into I consider myself pretty trigger snobby and the M&P needed a trigger job but it was different than the sigma right out of the box and was controllable. You can't really compare the triggers between the 2.

my recomendation is go with the M&P

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the m&p is the better weapon.

but my sigma is dependable. maybe i just got a good one, but i would definitely trust my life to it. once you adjust to the trigger, you're golden.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I had a Sigma for a while. Its was a decent gun, when fed right it always went bang, and it was faily accurate.

I sold it and bought a 5906, which for some stupid reason I traded off. The 5906 is better than both the M&P and Sigma, in my humble opinion. But Im planning on picking up a M&P at the next 1500 so we shall see. :dunno:

Of the two the M&P is better by far.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    M&P better than the sw9ve

I have owned both. I got an MP9 when they first came out. I went out and put 400 rounds through it and after I got done all I could saw was WOW!. It was accurate and reliable even through the crazy torture test stuff (I know,Iknow:rolleyes:). However after I cleaned it I noticed that the trigger pin had worked its way out of the frame a little. I contacted S&W and they said that there had been issues with that pin. I ended up selling it to a friend who out a little lock tite on the pin and it has not been an issue since.

That being said I also own a sw9ve and sw40ve and have put them through the same above initial test. They both did fine antil they were extremely dirty from firing and mud,dirt,etc. I think it is about budget and ergonomics. Get which ever one feels the best.:D

Top Bottom