• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have been looking at rails for a new AR15 but I have a question that I can't seem to answer. I am wanting to build another carbine but wanted a longer rail but I was wondering if a rifle length quad rail will fit my carbine system? I don't want a 7" rail so I don't know if the longer rails will fit the carbine system. Any help is appreciated.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If I understand correctly you could try a Dissipator upper. It has a 16" bbl but regular full length handgaurds. I have one and really like the feel/ balance,

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am wanting to build another carbine but wanted a longer rail but I was wondering if a rifle length quad rail will fit my carbine system?

A free-float rail system longer than carbine length (7") will require the use of a low-profile gas block that will allow the rail to fit over it. You would then have to use a detachable fixed or flip-up front sight on the rail.
    BCM-URG-M4-16%20MIT10%20blk-2.jpg

MI 10" rail on a 16" M4 barrel

You could also go with one of the "extended" systems that has a cutout for the front sight base:
    BCM-URG-M4-14%20RISIIFSP%20DE%20A2X-2.jpg

DD RISII FSP rail on 14.5" barrel

Non-free float systems that make use of the front handguard retainer obviously won't work in this kind of application.

HTH!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Actually, what you described with the flip up front sight is what I am wanting exactly but I didn't know if there was a difference between a rifle rail and a carbine rail except length?

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Shooter beat me to it, and is right on the money in the advise department! I am currently building an upper Identical to the 10" MI picture Shooter included.

Top Bottom