• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am shopping around for the reloading set up that I want. A question that has popped into my head is if different manufacturers die sets will work across any reloading press? For example, if I get a Dillon press, can I use a set of Lee dies on the press? Are they all interchangeable?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The dies are universal. Dillon press works with Hornady dies and visa versa.

Off the top of my head, interchangeable/universal dies include: Redding, Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Dillon, Hornady . . . and I probably missed a few.

I have several different brands of dies. I used to have a Dillon press. I now have a Hornady LnL press. All the dies I've ever tried work with either press as well as other brands of presses.

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I didn't put the cart before the horse so to speak if I went out and bought some die sets before I settled on which press I am going to get.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    You need to be aware that some presses require specific dies. The Dillon Square Deal press that I have is one that requires specific dies that are not interchangeable with other presses. Most presses use the standard die thread, just check the specific one you intend to use.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You need to be aware that some presses require specific dies. The Dillon Square Deal press that I have is one that requires specific dies that are not interchangeable with other presses. Most presses use the standard die thread, just check the specific one you intend to use.

This is a good point.

Some presses, typically the less commonly used presses, do require specific dies.

However, about 95% of the presses and dies out there in the market use a universally accepted standard thread pattern.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Look for this, 7/8ths x14 threads. This is the nearly universal threading for most dies and presses.
    There are some presses and dies that do not have theses threads, so of course this must be taken into consideration.

Just keep those numbers in the back of your mind and you will be fine.

Top Bottom