• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    ...slipping through heavy brush like a Navy Seal on recon, skipping happily down a logging trail, or somewhere in between?

One of mine a few years back was crossing a field along the transition between mowed clover and a few years worth of unmown scrub, but fully in the open.

Another started to follow a mowed trail through the same scrub about 3-5 feet high, then decided to take the trail that followed the edge between mowed field and wooded hills.

A few days ago a young buck came quietly down a logging trail following a hill ridge. Unfortunetly he came up from behind and saw me at the same time I saw him...

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Indygunworks shot his first buck moving a cross paced at 160+ yards, unsupported off handed with his ML.... I've yet to see furry and brown this year.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    My doe was walking along head down grazing on occassion about 25-30 yards from the stand I was in. I will let you know about the one I get tomorrow, well tomorrow.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I haven't hunted deer for many years now but the last one I killed was shot while still in his bed from about 35yds. I was good at still hunting and the leaves that day were wet and very quiet. It was in Brown Co. I killed him with the same gun I killed all my deer with except for one. A hand built (by me) 62 cal authentic St. Louis Hawken--- "Ole Hawg":D--- barrel is 1 turn in 72 and shoots a patched round ball. By the way the other gun I hunted with for one season was a 58 cal original civil war musket---killed a nice buck with it too.:D

FWIW-I'm having a 358 IDC built just in case I decide to start deer hunting again.

Steve

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mine last week was running through the woods behind my tree stand, crossing from my left to right. Somebody else spooked him I guess and I took advantage.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Been taking my son every time we get a chance.
    Last tuesay he took a 40yard shot at a 6 pt and missed.
    Just a bead barrel and he was shaking like all get out. LOL
    Only time we saw a deer except opening day when we saw a doe to far away to shooot. Have heard lots of gunfire this season in area. On all our scouting missions just have not seen a whole lot of traffic signs.
    I think with all the standing corn it has really cut down on traffic in the woods we hunt.
    Last year I got my buck on the next to last day of muzzelloader.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    A shot mine this year walking thru a clearing grunting and smelling the scent i had out. I shot him at 30 yards with my bow while he was sniffing a scent wick. Just a small buck though.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Well I am happy to report that I took mine at 8:20 AM 11/28/2009. He was slipping silently through the woods toward a clearing where they cross to a really thick brush filled area. I shot him at around 85 yards broad side with a 12G. He ran approximately 200 yards before going down which I am kinda shocked since I took out one lung and his heart. He was only a 5 point and that was dissapointing since I have seen two big bucks in the woods I have been hunting but obviously with season ending beggars cant be choosers. Good luck guys

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    I got my little 6-pointer this year trotting along sniffing for something 50 yards away from my stand. Early too, at 3 in the afternoon. My dad watched a monster getting busy with a doe about 400 yards away and never had a shot. I pondered if I would shoot a deer in the middle of such an action... that's just mean.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My dad watched a monster getting busy with a doe about 400 yards away and never had a shot. I pondered if I would shoot a deer in the middle of such an action... that's just mean.

But what a way to go out!

Anyhow... I'm not a hunter. But I do have a 2nd-hand story to tell.

Not that our former Scoutmaster would be given to exaggeration or anything, but to hear him tell it: He watched 3-4 deer walking single-file down their little path. As they came to a low proper-line fence, he watched as each one in line would jump from the same spot and then land in the same spot. He judged the last one in line would, too. According to him, he shot right as the last in line landed...killing the deer.

-J-

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The one I took this year was chasing a gal...........that will get you in trouble every time! :wwub:

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    The 3 pointer (one side broke of so I am guessing he was a 6) I took was chasing a doe. He was trotting along pretty good and wouldn't stop for a grunt so shot him any ways. I know that's not the best way to do things but this was my first buck I have ever taken.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The 7-pointer I took this year, just walked out of a corn field and into the woods. He pretty much just walked right in like he had somewhere he was going. I was set up about 40yds inside the woods from the edge of the field on an old logging trail. He walked right to me, shot was about 10yds. Double lunged him, he ran about 30yds, did a flip and was DRT.:D

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I got mine with a bow this year at about 20-yards. I pulled him out of a thick patch with the grunt call and then the scrape dripper I set up got his attention. He was walking slowly right at it with his head low sniffing when I released.

I guess he never wondered what that big bush (ghille) was doing up in the tree!

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i shot a 12pt chasing 2 doe in perry county on opening day of shotgun season. my hunt was over in an hour and a half, from the time i saw him to the time i shot was 30 seconds no joking

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    Took a 10pt opening day. He was walking down an open path 60 yds or so in front of me. When I raised my gun to take a closer look through the scope my blackberry fell and hit the ground, he stopped and looked my way, I shot, he dropped. One of the many uses I've found for that little device:D

Top Bottom