• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    Sunday, I am listening to the race(Indy 500) on the radio. I am relaxing with some friends and then something strange plays on the radio.

I am in West Lafayette and was listening to the race on 96.5 I believe.

An advertisement that catches my ear and I actually start listening to it. An ad for SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE. Now maybe it was an error and someone just prompted an old ad, but maybe there is a glimmer of hope that it will re-open.

I am riding the motorcycle over there today as soon as I get off work to see if there is anything posted on the storefront. I checked everywhere online and couldnt find anything. I did find out that the Lexington KY store re-opened just a few weeks ago, and it is listed on the Sportsmans Warehouse website as having a grand opening this coming weekend.

If anyone else heard this please confirm so I dont seem crazy.

Thanks,
    John

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I always found it odd that they left the sign up above the door and the sign on the shopping complex board on Creasy Lane.

I too will keep an eye and ear open.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    Sad, I went over and it still looks the same. Just some empty shelves inside. I am going to keep an eye out though. If I start to see movement or hear another commercial I will let you all know. Maybe Ill talk to the radio station and try to determine if it was a mistake or if someone paid for it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    They HAD the best prices in town for many things.

Their ammo inventory practices really sucked, they never stocked more than 3-5 boxes of anything, but I still liked the store here.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Sportman's Warehouse is a large chain, no? What was so good about it?
    Um, it was the best way to kill an hour that lafayette has ever known? When they first opened, they actually had stuff in stock!

Sure, it's a big chain and oh no it'll kill all the small gun stores(except it didn't last time), but you can just go there and look around while not buying anything. I think the place was amazing for first time buyers because you could fondle several different firearms of the same variety and make an informed decision. Occasionally they even had a well informed employee behind the gun counter. I did about 1000 times more shopping there than i did buying. I even took friends there to shop and then told them not to buy because you could get a better price somewhere else.

The thing that REALLY makes me doubt they'll re-open: they sold all the shelves and displays out of the store last time. I guess it could make sence business wise(cash in hand is always best), but if they had any hope of re-opening, i don't think they would have sold everything like that.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Yea I was thinking about them selling off EVERYTHING, from shelves and racks, to paintings, to the giant bronze elk and moose they had. That seems to be a sign that they don't plan on reopening. Why wouldnt they have just moved it all to a diff store?
    It would be nice to have them back in town though. They had a good stock of guns, as well as some ammo, but most importantly reloading supplies! Something thats hard to come by in this town.

On another note, Applied Ballistics sponsored the race broadcast on 95.7 in Lafayette. Just FYI

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but most importantly reloading supplies! Something thats hard to come by in this town

Yeah, but no one buys them. I saw the same can of Win 231 on the shelf since SW opened (it had 1/4" of dust on it when I was last in there).

That's what's strange about reloading, everyone clamours for "reloading components" but no one buys them. You gun people are just weird.:dunno::D

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I just knew they had them...I wasn't into the reloading game at the time so I couldn't take advantage of it. I wish there was some place now to buy them because as it is now, the only time I can grab stuff is when I go home (Portage) and drive over to Michigan City and pick them up, which isn't very often.

Top Bottom