• ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Does anyone else miss Galyan's? When Dick's took over Galyan's a few years back, all of the handguns disappeared. I haven't been there in a while, but stopped in at the store off I-69 (exit 10) and was really disappointed. It seems to me that Dick's does not have any serious commitment to their firearms department. They had a few basic rifles and shotguns and almost no ammunition. Maybe the casual hunter might pick up a rifle there, but wow...their selection was about as bad as what Wal-Mart used to have before they wimped out completely and stopped selling firearms. Very sad.

I remember talking to a Galyan's employee around the transition--he basically told me, with a sorrowful expression, that Dick's management didn't want to be in the business of handguns. I decided on the spot never to buy anything from Dick's. I haven't quite been true to that, as I bought a softball glove for my daughter there...but I am still holding a grudge.

Also, it doesn't help that every time I've had to buy something from Dick's, the employees hound me to sign up for their card. They don't seem to get the word "no" on that point.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Dick's isn't a specialty store. A few generic hunting and target guns is all I expect out of such a store.

As for the card, I bought my Remington Genesis purely with points on that card. I thought that was pretty cool :)

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    Galyans in Greenwood back in the day was awesome. I left Indy in 1999 and returned in 2009 and was sad to see it was gone. Dicks pretty much sucks.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Dicks is kinda like the Wal Mart of sporting goods. They have a little of lots of things, but the quality of the things they do have is not really what I would like, but it is probably enough to get by with if you had to. However, it you want some golf clubs, you could probably spend the day going through their selection. They really suck on fly fishing equipment. My back-ups are better than their top of the line items. I too miss the old Galyans.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, I used to love going to Galyans over in Plainfield. My dad had a friend from highschool that ran (I think) the firearms section. He gave us some good deals back in the day. *sniff sniff*.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I saved 350.00 on a benelli M2 that I bought at Dicks. I also bought my SBE2 there. They seem to be the only one that will discount the Benelli line of guns. Other than that I have no use for that store.

Dicks wasnt the one that bought out Galyans, there was another chain that dicks bought that killed the galyans line.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Dicks wasnt the one that bought out Galyans, there was another chain that dicks bought that killed the galyans line.

I never remember it being Galyans -> XXXX -> Dicks.

It was Galyans one week, then Dicks the next....... but, its been a long time! ;)

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I never remember it being Galyans -> XXXX -> Dicks.

It was Galyans one week, then Dicks the next....... but, its been a long time! ;)

+1 Dick's bought out Galyans, I had family that worked in the office and were retained by Dicks during the buyout.... they have since left that employer.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You guys are right. I was thinking about the mall is castleton when dicks built the new store on 86th street to only buy Galyans less than a month after the store opened. That store sat empty for several years.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Dicks told me if you get delayed in buying a firearm they wouldn't sell it to you. Just happened this week to me

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Also, it doesn't help that every time I've had to buy something from Dick's, the employees hound me to sign up for their card. They don't seem to get the word "no" on that point.

My daughter used to work for them. The employees are pressured (HARD) to push those cards, to the point that if their percentage falls too low, they can be effectively fired... as in not given enough hours to work because other employees' percentages were better.

Don't hold it against the employees, voice your objections to corporate HQ.

Blessings,
    Bill

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Dicks = Clothing/"Sports" store, their outdoor and hunting/firearms sections would fit in my garage.

Sadly, the other option, Gander, is not wallet friendly most of the time.

Guns get bought at a LGS.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Occasionally I find some good deals at dicks. If I want a hand gun Ill look at PSS, Bradis but for a hunting rifle or shotgun dicks is hard to beat.

Picked up a 1894 .44 mag last year on sale for 469.00. I had a 10.00 off coupon that they honored even though it said no firearms. Then I got 10.00 in reward points off the purchase to buy ammo with.

I also picked up a 870 on sale a few years back when they were running them for 239.00 with a 25.00 rebate on top of that from remington.

Now I pop in to see if they have .223 on sale for 7.98 a box for UMC, turkey calls, and other misc that I can't afford to buy at Gander.

I would personally like to trade at a place like the Outdoorsman but I just can't afford it on some of the items.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    Hey the store name is DICK'S- that should clue you right there!!

Over rated and over priced!! Galyan's was more of an American guy's store. Dick's is more committed to the women and Metrosexual's in our society.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    The guys that work at Dicks are a bunch of a$$ hats. I tried to buy a 10/22 a few years back. They had a KILLER sale going on and the 10/22 cost was below dealer cost. Add a coupon and BAM!! They would not, under any circumstances, do a dealer to dealer transfer. The old crotchity fart behind the counter was a complete jerk. The pimply faced "manager" couldn't find his back side with both hands. Both had no clue what to do. Thats what you get at the big box stores. You seldom find anyone behind the gun counter who gives a damn or knows squat. ( deep breath......inhale....exhale......soft fluffy bunnies......) :)

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I wish Dick's had ammo prices comparable to Walmart.
    I have found some deals on rifles and shotguns there. Bought a Stoeger Condor $100 cheaper than Gander-used a $10 in store coupon and a $50 mail in rebate-probably my best ever firearm deal. They usually have clay birds cheaper than Walmart also.
    Not my favorite store,but they do serve a purpose for some things.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You guys are right. I was thinking about the mall is castleton when dicks built the new store on 86th street to only buy Galyans less than a month after the store opened. That store sat empty for several years.

They did the same thing in Greenwood. Dick's built a HUGE store, and within weeks, bought the Galyan's across the street, and for a brief period, ran them both, before finally selling the one they built.

I wonder how many millions of dollars they wasted. It's no wonder their prices are high - they have to compensate for all the stupid management decisions which cost them what for other companies would be a good decade's profit.

Top Bottom