Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It has to. Michigan had no other choice.

California and Illinois will have to come up with other remedies: selling parts of themselves to private corporations, but I think we all know the more likely option is a check from Obama.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It has to. Michigan had no other choice.

California and Illinois will have to come up with other remedies: selling parts of themselves to private corporations, but I think we all know the more likely option is a check from Obama.

Well in Detroit's case I think it's part of the way the MI state laws are written correct?

But in terms of CA and IL those are state level issues so what does occur when a state just can't "pay". There is no state/fed law to deal with that right?

I don't think it's fair for the fed to deal with a state level issue in this case.

Sticks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    NE Indy
    The city of Detroit has been mismanaged for at least 60 years. I was raised there in the 60's and 70's (I left and never went back to live). IMO Detroit has always had a lot of potential, but the government officials have not always put the best interests of the citizens first. The city area is huge (142 square miles), and there are miles and miles of empty buildings that need to be cleared out. Several people are interested in urban farming on the un used land, which could make Detroit one of the most innovative cities 50 years down the road - if it ever gets started. With the state governments short on money I doubt they will get it done though. I am thankful that Indy has made some better decisions.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The city of Detroit has been mismanaged for at least 60 years. I was raised there in the 60's and 70's (I left and never went back to live).

:+1: Coleman Young was as corrupt as they come, and he was the mayor for 20 years. Archer wasn't too bad, but he was succeeded by Kilpatrick, who went to prison for felony obstruction of justice while serving as mayor.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    :+1: Coleman Young was as corrupt as they come, and he was the mayor for 20 years. Archer wasn't too bad, but he was succeeded by Kilpatrick, who went to prison for felony obstruction of justice while serving as mayor.

Funny, the Kilpatrick story was just updated this morning. Coincidence!
    A jury concluded this morning (3/11/13) that former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick ran a criminal enterprise — complete with extortion, bribes and kickbacks — while he was the mayor of the state’s largest city.
    Kilpatrick jury says it had a 'passion ... to see that the right thing was done' | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Kilpatrick faces at least ten years, probably more like 20.

Experts: Kwame Kilpatrick, Bobby Ferguson likely to get at least 10 years | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The city area is huge (142 square miles), and there are miles and miles of empty buildings that need to be cleared out. .

Compared to other cities (land wise) do you know where Detroit ranks?
    I would imagaine LA is "bigger land wise" while NYC would be smaller.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Liberals, unions, and corruption put Detroit on a long decline starting in the 1950s that accelerated in the 1980s.

And now, they are where they are today.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The state of MI has been running Benton Harbor for a few years now, I believe. The city council constantly whines and cries about having their spending kept in check by the manager. It is really pretty humorous.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    I see a massive back door bailout coming from DC. It won't be a lump sum, and won't be called a "bail out". It will be in smaller chunks over time with names like, "Revitalization Grant", "Investment in Urban Renewal", etc.

Top Bottom