• ...and so much more!
  • theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Detonics Scoremaster range report - UPDATE

I just got a Detonics Scoremaster today (thanks again ashylarry :yesway: for you) for a STEAL. I unfortunately had to go to Don's (:noway::noway::noway: but I'm not gonna bash them here) to put some rounds through it as Pop's was closed when I got there. I was kind of salty about Pop's as I had called them around 3-3:15 today and got no answer. I went over there and they had a sign saying they closed at 4:30. Why they couldn't pick up the phone and tell me that I don't know. But I guess it was silly of me to drive all the way out there without knowing for sure so shame on me. Whatever.

Anyway.

I put about 50 rounds through it and the thing is buttery smooth. One of the lightest recoiling .45s I have shot - part of that due to the size/weight and part due to the three concentric recoil springs. I had 3 FtFeeds out of the 50 rounds I shot but I attribute those to the mags as I had 2 of them from one mag and 1 on a different mag. One of the mags fed flawlessly - I believe it was the Detonics factory mag that fed flawlessly. I also need to get the sights zeroed in as it shoots about 4" to the right and just a bit low of POA. Also gotta pick up a few new mags - probably gonna try the Chip McCormick Powermags (any suggestions?)
    Every time it fired it ejected the brass with healthy force and cleared successfully. I'll have pics up a little later. Just gotta take it apart and clean it first.

Last edited:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    1911 update

I went down to Elmore's today and got a couple Wilson mags...my Scoremaster was flawless with them. Ran 60 or so rounds through it myself and a friend ran 20 - not a single FTF. I tried to make it jam by limpwristing and emptying the mag as fast as I reasonably could, but it just wouldn't happen. There were a few JHP +P handloads littered in there from time to time. too. I had 4 FTFs with the mags I got with the gun (out of ~50 rounds :noway:) and figured the round count was accurate based on the wear in the gun - that made me think it was a magazine-related issue.

So out of ~120 rounds I have put through it, I have had 4 FTFs. That is a pretty crappy number overall, but after getting these Wilson magazines, I have a great deal of confidence in the combination of Wilson mags and the Scoremaster. I don't think I would carry this particular pistol but I can see myself carrying a 1911 pattern pistol for SD - which would undoubtedly see Wilson magazines, exclusively.

Frankly, I had hoped this would be the case with $30+ magazines, but I was really happy about them. The guys at Elmore's were good as well. A younger guy tightened down my rear sight and because he was nice enough to do that I ended up getting a box of ammo I didn't really need. More ammo doesn't hurt though.

After field stripping and cleaning it twice now, I have to admit it is nowhere near as hard as some of the reviews I had read on similar pistols made it out to be. I had seen a 50/50 opinion on the full length guide rods/bull barrels but I personally like them. The videos I had seen of 1911 field stripping made me want to get a couple extra recoil spring plugs and recoil springs :): The Scoremaster doesn't have any need for that but for my future 1911 purchases, maybe I will. I think the FGLR eases the field stripping, but it does require a good grip and some muscle on my part. A lot easier than having to worry about a bushing and other stuff flying into the nether-regions of my house.

I also shot a Kahr P45 and a CZ-97b and both were nice. There were a few issues with the JHPs on the CZ but ball ammo fed perfectly and the ergonomics on it were very sound. Trigger was pretty nice in SA - I didn't end up shooting it DA so I can't comment on the DA trigger. The Kahr was surprisingly easy to shoot and really not that bad in the recoil department. I shot a magazine of said +P JHP loads and a few FMJ loads and again not a single issue. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't want to put more than 50 rounds downrange with it in one session - but it shot way softer than I had expected it to. It was unusual the first magazine I ran through that after having only shot 1911s recently. I squeezed the trigger and it didn't fire :dunno: and then I laughed to myself, realizing how spoiled I had been shooting the 1911s I have on my last few trips to the range. The pull on the Kahr was long but very smooth, and while the recoil was a lot "snappier" than my 1911, I would have no troubles controlling the recoil in SD situations. That is obviously what it was designed for and because of that, kept my expectations reasonable. I am a pistol noob! It felt good in my hand but not as good as others I had shot recently.

I want to try a .45 XD compact, but am somewhat reluctant to get one. I am afraid as soon as I would get one, SA would announce a compact .45 XDm.

I also found out that the Scoremaster has a dual recoil spring as opposed to three like I had originally read. I guess the Combat Master has three.

Last edited:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Oh and I also made myself a promise to NEVER EVER sell this pistol regardless of how bad my $ situation could potentially get. The only ones that inherit it would be my wife/children - when it of course gets to that point.

Top Bottom