• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Where is a good place to take my pistols to get a good detail strip and cleaning? I tried doing it once before but I am not mechanically inclined and would likely lose a part or break something that cannot be replaced.

Anyone know if Cabelas in Hammond or maybe Gander Mountain in Merrillville does those things? :dunno:

Thanks for your help.:rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Don't go to the big box stores, go instead to Gutridge Gunsmith, Inc in Griffith, IN. Its owned by Eric Gutridge.

He is located on Broad Street about 1 block south of Main Street (just north of the rail road tracks on the west side of the street). This is a 2nd generation gunsmith, member of the American Pistolsmith Guild, and does amazing work. He can build custom guns, repair anything, make parts, and is a friendly guy too. I've taken stuff in there and he's helped me out for free if it was just a minor thing. He also is a master at firearms refinishing and blueing.

If you get him talking be prepared to spend some time in there, something he can go on and on and on and on. Good guy. Years ago he built me a custom carry gun and just reblued one of my Detonics pistols this summer.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't go to the big box stores, go instead to Gutridge Gunsmith, Inc in Griffith, IN. Its owned by Eric Gutridge.

He is located on Broad Street about 1 block south of Main Street (just north of the rail road tracks on the west side of the street). This is a 2nd generation gunsmith, member of the American Pistolsmith Guild, and does amazing work. He can build custom guns, repair anything, make parts, and is a friendly guy too. I've taken stuff in there and he's helped me out for free if it was just a minor thing. He also is a master at firearms refinishing and blueing.

If you get him talking be prepared to spend some time in there, something he can go on and on and on and on. Good guy. Years ago he built me a custom carry gun and just reblued one of my Detonics pistols this summer.

Gutridge is alright, prices are a little above average in my book -

I had a glock pistol that I wanted big dot night sights installed on, his quote was $35 and come back in 4 days to have it done, Blythes was $20 that day, and Jerry's Gun Shop did it for free that day - I even tried to give him $10 he didn't take it.

I would hit up Gander Mtn in Merrillville and talk to the gunsmith they have there, he seems pretty knowledgeable. OR I would swing into Westforth's Sport Shop and speak to Dave or Wayne.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Where is a good place to take my pistols to get a good detail strip and cleaning? I tried doing it once before but I am not mechanically inclined and would likely lose a part or break something that cannot be replaced.

Anyone know if Cabelas in Hammond or maybe Gander Mountain in Merrillville does those things? :dunno:

Thanks for your help.:rockwoot:

PS What type of pistol is it?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Do NOT take ANYTHING to Gutridge, EVER!!!!

I wouldnt take him a water pistol.

I'll be glad to give my phone number and anyone who wants the full story can call me. Gutridge is a hack, at best and runs a crooked business that I would never associate myself with. The father (now retired) was ok but the kid is horrid. I know personally of several guns that he has RUINED and had to go back to the manufacturer to get fixed.

What gun do you need stripped down? Most guns dont really need much more than the top end removed and hosed down with brake cleaner. If it is a gun I know and we can find a time, I'd be glad to stop by and show you how.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Thanks for the help guys. I will swing by one of those places. I have a Glock 17 and Smith & Wesson M&P that I have a few thousand rounds through. I am not sure which one I will hit, but wherever I go, I will let you know. My guns certainly need the cleaning.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What gun do you need stripped down? Most guns dont really need much more than the top end removed and hosed down with brake cleaner. If it is a gun I know and we can find a time, I'd be glad to stop by and show you how.

I'd jump at the chance to have Mike show you how. I've known Mike for several years now and I'd trust him with ANY firearm I own.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    The glock is really pretty simple internally. there are tons of videos on youtube, just take it slow, take pictures of where things came from along the way and always do all your work on a nice clean area where pieces won't disappear.

I use an old white pillow case as a bench mat since most gun parts are black or dark gray they show up really well on the white.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4SA6v6xjE]YouTube - How To Detail Strip A Glock Pistol ( Glock disassembly)[/ame]

Mat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Do NOT take ANYTHING to Gutridge, EVER!!!!

I wouldnt take him a water pistol.

I'll be glad to give my phone number and anyone who wants the full story can call me. Gutridge is a hack, at best and runs a crooked business that I would never associate myself with. The father (now retired) was ok but the kid is horrid. I know personally of several guns that he has RUINED and had to go back to the manufacturer to get fixed.

removed :/

Last edited:

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Another thumbs down for Gutridge. Scratched the heck out of the slide on my Colt 1911. When I picked up the gun it was oily, greasy with fine metal shavings.:xmad:

Top Bottom