• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, last night the RAID5 array on my desktop computer took a dump when it lost two drives. :rolleyes: Fortunately, I had adequate backups and a set of replacement drives, but I've decided to re-evaluate my backup routine. I used to use Memeo Autobackup. I liked it because it would auto-mirror files in real-time and also keep a revision history, so I could go back to pretty much any point in time. However, the software was so poorly written that even when idling it would consume 100% CPU. I then switched to manual scripting with a variety of different methods, including a simple rsync mirror, robocopy, and a few others. However, I would really prefer something that doesn't rely on scripts and cron. I can't seem to find a desktop backup package that suits me and most of what I use is enterprise-level stuff. Any suggestions? What are you using for backups that doesn't suck? I'm looking (primarily) for Windows software.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Scutter, the chances of losing 2 disks at the same time in a RAID-5 setup is pretty low, looks like you got the crap end of the stick on that one!

As for windows-based software, I can't recommend much - my post is to hopefully steer you in the direction of a dedicated NAS, in which you can use any backup software you like and store said backups 'offsite' on your NAS.

I cannot recommend FreeNAS enough, especially with ZFS support not to mention the 'OS' drive can be a USB flash drive - I built my mini-ITX box with 4TB of space ( including parity ) for less than $400. A nice trick is to link your common folders, "my documents, et al." to the NAS as well, so you can access data from any machine in your local domain. When you update a document or file, you know it is already backed up.

FreeNAS 8 | Storage For Open Source

310561_10150349070320974_500065973_8546327_9062262_n.jpg
    384965_10150348131715974_500065973_8539789_310234023_n.jpg
    296847_10150349062375974_500065973_8546265_1495960565_n.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah, I was a little ticked about losing two drives. However, I had decent backups, so it wasn't that big of an issue, and it was my application/data volume not my system partition (which is on a separate array), so it was easy enough to rebuild. I ended up switching out the three 750's with two 1.5's in RAID1. Same amount of space, but fewer components (so less power, less heat, fewer drives to fail). I'm also not so sure I lost two drives at the same time. I STRONGLY suspect that I lost one of them a long time ago but the SMART monitoring failed to alert me the way it was supposed to.

I actually do have a NAS already, but I don't want to run my apps off of it. I want them running locally to improve performance. Regardless, even on a NAS, I still have the same backup problem.

The worst part is that my system crapped out only a few hours before my monthly maintenance window, so I was scrambling to get it back up and running in time. I was not relishing the idea of using my netbook for the task. It's much easier on my desktop since I have four monitors.

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Yeah, I was a little ticked about losing two drives. However, I had decent backups, so it wasn't that big of an issue, and it was my application/data volume not my system partition (which is on a separate array), so it was easy enough to rebuild. I ended up switching out the three 750's with two 1.5's in RAID1. Same amount of space, but fewer components (so less power, less heat, fewer drives to fail).

I actually do have a NAS already, but I don't want to run my apps off of it. I want them running locally to improve performance. Regardless, even on a NAS, I still have the same backup problem.

Are you looking for free solutions? Have you looked into robocopy or norton ghost? I apologize as I'm not very up to date on anything 'windows' related, I only have BSD machines at my house.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Are you looking for free solutions? Have you looked into robocopy or norton ghost? I apologize as I'm not very up to date on anything 'windows' related, I only have BSD machines at my house.

I mentioned in my top post that after I dumped Memeo, I started scripting it with a variety of different tools, including robocopy. Robocopy does a fine job at mirroring, but the big problem with those tools is that they have little support for open files. Makes it tough to back up my user profile, for example. Furthermore, Windows (even with Powershell) is not really great at scripting. Under BSD or *nix, none of this would really be an issue. That's why I'm looking for a nice integrated solution with a GUI. I have enterprise-class software I can use, but that stuff is WAY overkill.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Have you looked at Carbonite or those pay solutions?

Is there a desktop version of Veritas Backup Exec?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sweet. SyncBack looks like it does the same type of mirroring that Memeo Autobackup does. The other two (Carbonite and Mozy) are both cloud storage, which I'm not really interested in. I'll try Syncback and hopefully it doesn't encompass the suck that Memeo does.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Sweet. SyncBack looks like it does the same type of mirroring that Memeo Autobackup does. The other two (Carbonite and Mozy) are both cloud storage, which I'm not really interested in. I'll try Syncback and hopefully it doesn't encompass the suck that Memeo does.

Post back, as I'd like to know how well it works so I can keep it in the back of my mind.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

I'd be interested in seeing how Syncback works out for you

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So far, it seems to work as advertised. However, it can't maintain directory creation times, which seems like a basic function to me. That's pretty close to a deal killer for me.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    So far, it seems to work as advertised. However, it can't maintain directory creation times, which seems like a basic function to me. That's pretty close to a deal killer for me.

That's odd - preserving file mtimes is not very difficult, I agree this is basic functionality.

Top Bottom