• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I received a Derringer Philidelphia from a close relative and was doing some research to determine the value/date. According to GunBroker.com some models run around $50 a pop. But I also found this out from a seperate site:

"The gun, actually the pistol you are discribing was invented and made by Henry Deringer, who made about 15,000 of them from the late 1830's until 1868, when cartridge guns made them obsolete. His name is now used as a noun to include all pocket pistols that can be carried in a pocket or purse, as was the custom of the period. The correct marking should be DERINGER-PHILADEL and usually but not always have a P within a circle sunburst motif on the left side of the breach. You are correct when you say they were a black powder gun with a percussion lock, that is a hammer gun. They come in diffrent calibres depending on the barrel size, which you do not mention. The small is 2.5 inches with no ramrod, the medium is about 3.5 inches usually fitted with a ramrod, and the large are Dueling size of 7 to 9 inches. Agent markings on the top of the barrel increase the value, and real ones bring $350 for a well worn common pistol to several thousands for really new ones with all the original finish. They were widely copied during his life time, so fakes from the period are worth considerably more than current replicas. Only an expert can determine value whiuch depends on condition, and authenticity, by sight."

So here are the pictures (sorry the picture quality does no justice). How would one deterime if it has its original finish? It looks as if it has been stored in a case for years as there is absoultely no noticable rust. It also has all working parts.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is a nice looking gun. I recognize it because I have one exactly like it. It was produced by Connecticut Valley Arms and is a modern reproduction. I built mine from a kit, but they also sold them already assembled. Its interesting the way the finish has been rubbed off of the stock to make it look worn, That is a nice touch.
    Your pistol is .45 caliber and will shoot a .440 round lead ball with a cotton patch and about 20 grains of black powder.
    DO NOT LOAD THIS GUN WITH MODERN POWDER!!
    Being a repro, your gun is probably worth about $50-$75. I think the kits originally sold for about $40 back in the '70s.
    These things are fun to shoot and fool around with, but not very accurate. Make certain you know what you're doing with a black powder gun, it is possible to blow one up. I may be able to help, if you want to shoot it.:)
    Let me know if you have more questions.

Doug

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Shooting one is not difficult, but it is a little involved. Rather than take up board space, I'll try to find a good link for you. Or, if you're a member of Danville Conservation or have a place to shoot, we might meet and "burn some charcoal."

Doug

PS Have to go now, be back later.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Before you shoot this, you might want to have a gunsmith check it out. It's just a picture, but i don't like the looks of the barrel. Looks like it has a crack right where the charge would be.

Also, is it loaded? You should make super sure.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, I didn't find any really good websites...
    If you like, PM me a phone number and a good time to call and chat and I'll tell you about it.

The line on the barrel is, I believe, the joint where the barrel screws onto the breach plug.
    Stick a pencil in the barrel and slide your fingers down to the muzzle. Now, pull the pencil out and, without moving your fingers, lay the pencil atop the barrel. The end of the pencil should come to about where the line is. If it is 1/4 inch or more from the line, it might be loaded or have something stuck in the barrel. With good light, you should be able to see the back of the barrel.

Doug

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    :rofl:

Sorry Dave, carry on. :D

I was waiting on Hofmann to catch that but he didn't hahahaha.

Well, I didn't find any really good websites...
    If you like, PM me a phone number and a good time to call and chat and I'll tell you about it.

The line on the barrel is, I believe, the joint where the barrel screws onto the breach plug.
    Stick a pencil in the barrel and slide your fingers down to the muzzle. Now, pull the pencil out and, without moving your fingers, lay the pencil atop the barrel. The end of the pencil should come to about where the line is. If it is 1/4 inch or more from the line, it might be loaded or have something stuck in the barrel. With good light, you should be able to see the back of the barrel.

Doug

The line in the above picture isn't a crack as it is straight across the barrel and looks to be made that way. I took a look down the barrel and couldn't see a ball inside so I'm pretty sure it's unloaded.. but I will do the pencil trick to be completely sure. As for shooting it, I'm not a member of the Danville Gun Club and the only place I ever shoot is down at Wilbur Wright. It's not that big of deal, I just like the look of it. Thanks for you help!

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I believe that is the same style derringer that Pres. Lincoln was shot with.

IIRC he was shot with a .44 caliber one though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, looks like a kit repro. Compare to these CVA kit pics:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/04/06/45-cal-homemade-derringer/
    CVA PHILADELPHIA DERRINGER
    Educational Zone #65 - Building a Black Powder Pistol - Page 1

This is the Booth derringer:
    http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/jan2001/images/pistol1b.jpg
    http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/jan2001/images/pistol2b.jpg

You can see that the barrel becomes round toward the muzzle and the rifling has a distincive look.

Photos from this interesting FBI case report (you can compare the morphological characteristics in the report to yours to see how accurate of a repro it is):
    The Booth Deringer--Genuine Artifact or Replica?, by Schehl and Rosati (Forensic Science Communications, January 2001)

Carry on.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom