• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    I just picked up an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and wanted to clean some brass I have. Do I need to de-prime the brass before cleaning it? Can't find anything on this.. Seems like it would make it would be the right thing to do.

Any help for a complete beginner would be welcome.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Only if you care about cleaning your flash hole and primer pocket. Otherwise, pop those soggy primers out after the fact.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Many do, I don't unless I am going to wet tumble them in the stainless media rotary tumbler.

It tend to allow a lot of small bits of corn cob to get stuck in flash holes that then need to be poked out and I am not that worried about how clean the pocket itself is since it really doesn't matter. Once it is all nice and shiny, I poke out the primers, reprime them and reload them. That's my way, and just one of my ways. Ask a hundred reloaders and you'll get at least two hundred methods. :):

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I just picked up an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and wanted to clean some brass I have. Do I need to de-prime the brass before cleaning it? Can't find anything on this.. Seems like it would make it would be the right thing to do.

Any help for a complete beginner would be welcome.

Competition shooters will say absolutely yes. Plinkers don't care and really if you're not concerned about a half minute POI you shouldn't be either.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Pistol brass, I tumble before I size and deprime. Rifle brass, I size and deprime before I tumble as to remove the sizing lube. Unless you are going for extreme accuracy, a clean primer pocket is not going to affect anything.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Ask a hundred reloaders and you'll get at least two hundred methods.

^^^Hog is right on this..

For ME-EVERY piece of brass that I have gets the spent primer removed with a Universal decap die before any additional processing is done...Bill.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Many do, I don't unless I am going to wet tumble them in the stainless media rotary tumbler.

It tend to allow a lot of small bits of corn cob to get stuck in flash holes that then need to be poked out and I am not that worried about how clean the pocket itself is since it really doesn't matter. Once it is all nice and shiny, I poke out the primers, reprime them and reload them. That's my way, and just one of my ways. Ask a hundred reloaders and you'll get at least two hundred methods. :):

He is using an Ultrasonic cleaner, so no media to get stuck in the pocket.

If you are reloading on a progressive press and don't want to have to deprime the pull the out of the press to clean them then clean them first.

If you are using a single stage press then it really won't cost much more time and I would deprime then clean since you only doing one step at a time on the press anyways.

Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I usually run my brass through my vibratory tumbler before I deprime for a short time, just to knock off any hard grime. Then I deprime and put them in my ultrasonic cleaner to finish getting them clean.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    If I tumble, I don't bother to deprime first.
    If I run 'em thru the ultrasonic, I deprime before I drop 'em in.
    No so much that I'm worried about the primer pockets getting clean, rather the spent primers can hold a surprising amount of water. Even if you think the case is dry.
    Makes a mess in the spent primer tube.

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    I am very picky about processes.. I de-prime all my brass before I put it in the cleaner.. After I get a good quantity of brass I use a universal de-prime die and punch em out all in one sitting.. That way there all finished.. And I think the cases come out cleaner..

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I decap before putting them into my ultrasonic cleaner, but it's only because I like to see the primer pocket clean. My thought on the matter is that I bought the ultrasonic cleaner to clean everything that a tumbler wouldn't. Therefore, I want the primer pockets as clean as the rest of the case.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    I decap before putting them into my ultrasonic cleaner, but it's only because I like to see the primer pocket clean. My thought on the matter is that I bought the ultrasonic cleaner to clean everything that a tumbler wouldn't. Therefore, I want the primer pockets as clean as the rest of the case.
    Agree. If using an ultra sonic deprime first.

Top Bottom