• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    My dads sheriffs department switched from 92s to XD .45s this year. I think that was a big change for them. And a big change for the better. MY dad is much happier with the XD then the Beretta.

BTW Pierce I just noticed you are from New Castle. It is really good to see you guys switching over.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i've had 3 40's in the past and got rid of all of them. currently own 3 45's. won't own another 40. you will probably shoot all factory loaded ammo but reloading 45's can get some incredible accuracy at whatever yardage you want.......daryll

JoeR-HI

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    I hate .40. They switched from a 96 then right?

I actually hate XDs but shot well, very well with an XD45.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I'm surprised to hear some think the .40 cal glock isn't very accurate. I don't shoot much but when I do go to the range with my G23 I can place all my shots within the head of a target or right around the center from 50 feet.

My first gun was a Makarov, second a Taurus PT 9mm. I had kill shots but my groups were not extremely close. I just can't imagine a gun more accurate than the G23 I have. Maybe I need to look into a .45.

Would a .45 Glock be better than a 1911?

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I wouldn't say better, but the full size Glocks in 45 ACP doesn't have the snap of the 40's. The best thing to do is find someone with a Glock 45 and put some rounds down range. Our department scores went up over all with the new guns.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have fired all 4 glock 40 models(none compensated) and the 21 and 30. The best 40 was the long slide(can't remember the number), but the 30 is more controllable and more accurate. the 21 felt fantastic. I am a bit prejudice towards the 40, but I feel they tend to have too much snap to them.

I am nothing close to an expert, just reporting my findings.

btw fenway, maybe i should say an accurate glock 40....lol edit: that isn't a long slide

That's weird, my 12 year old daughter shoots my G27, was hitting shoebox sized target from 7 and 12 yards away with no real problem.

And with as many women I see competing with a G35 double tapping like crazy, I wouldn't think it would bother anyone qualifying with one shot at a time.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Our duty weapon on our department is the G21 also. i would give it up for the G22 any day just because of the grip size. My hands are small and I absolutely hate shooting the G21. Most of the time on night shift you are one handed anyway cause of your flashlight (even if you have a weapon light, I think it's good practice to have a flashlight.). I wish we would go with 9mm but i woudl still take .40 based on the grip. My option. Plus shooting the G22 is different but nothing that can't be mastered.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I agree. If you ware going to carry .45 carry a 1911.

It's "more accurate" because it's all fired single action. Right from the get go, first squeeze of the trigger is a nice crisp short break. Nothing special about the round in my opinion beyond bigger bullets make bigger holes. If a 1911 was chambered in 9mm or 38 super it would be just as accurate as the 45 but "smaller bullets = smaller holes". :D Better trigger = more accurate.

Just my humble opinion but Glock trigger is crap for accuracy. 40 short and weak, 10mm, 9mm or 45, if it's coming out of a Glock it's got one strike against it for accuracy because of the trigger design. It's a combat trigger designed by lawyers for novices to use. It's not intended to be, or designed to be, and it's NOT a target gun for bull's eye or bowling pin competitions.

I've been out of it for a couple decades or more but hot pin guns when I shot were heavy double action 4something revolvers and 1911's. Has any one ever won a bowling pin competition with a Glock where there were more than 5 shooters?

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I agree a glock is not a target gun in the factory "set up". For shooting sport there are a number of company's that offer better triggers. I own and have owned several 1911's over the year and Glocks are not in the small class.

As far as the tool I use it for everyday, may glocks have worked perfect. One reason that most departments dont carry 1911's in training time. Our training involved class room with the new holsters and range time, which was mininal because our department was already issued Glocks. Round count also comes into play as the 21sf is 13 plus 1 and most 1911's are 8 or 7 plus one. There are other isssue, but those are 2 of the biggest for a department.

luckydog465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    hmmm, I must say that is good news, I have yet to find an accurate 40s&w....

whats sad is they will most likely see accuracy rise and stopping power prevail.

^^ Wow really no accuracy huh? The G23 in 40 are tack drivers! Maybe you just like 45?? I like both and it is unfair to say the 40 are not accurate.. I wouldn't stand infront of one! :) Just my :twocents:

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm pushing for a change from Gold Dot to Federal ammo for department carry.

Pierce165,
    Just curious why you are interested in changing to Fed over Speer?
    Have you guys had any specific issues with the Gold Dots?

We issue Winchester Ranger-T, but I would be just as happy with gold Dots or Fed HST. Pros and Cons to each I suppose.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    ^^ Wow really no accuracy huh? The G23 in 40 are tack drivers! Maybe you just like 45?? I like both and it is unfair to say the 40 are not accurate.. I wouldn't stand infront of one! :) Just my :twocents:

I like Glocks just fine but I don't know if I would ever call one a tack driver. I have to agree with Jack Ryan's post above; Glocks are very user friendly, especially for new shooters, but at the end of the day a double action is generally never going to be more accurate than a single action.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

He mostly means, with the different kind of recoil its easier to shoot the glock in 45 accurately easier than in 40. I use to have a G30 before I switched to 1911's and he shot it many times and agreed with me that the recoil was easier to control in in than another glock in 40, due to the 40 having a harder snappier recoil than the 45 which is more of a push. His carry is a G33 in 357 sig and he's even found it easier to control than a 40. Yet the 357 sig is just a necked down 40.

Top Bottom