• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2024
    Hammond
    Hey members im 31 i moved to Indiana last year and just went to purchase a gun from Cabela’s Monday June 24,2024 of course i got a delayed status because of common last name, and first time buyer but 6 years ago i got a “Unlawful Use Of A Weapon” for being pulled over and having a unloaded gun which wasnt mine in my car BUT i had a valid Illinois FOID (gun card) so i was charged with a misdemeanor no jail time can i own a gun in Indiana with that on my record???

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    The name of that charge sounds bad and to fbi or whoever could mean anything. It's very possible that the disposition of the case was never reported and could still look active. 2 things to do, ..1st is a real pain in the azz, but if you have the denial papers, you'll have to apeal to the nics people which includes fingerprints and the court papers to prove yourself. The 2nd is to apply for the indiana cc permit and see what happens with the state police.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The name of that charge sounds bad and to fbi or whoever could mean anything. It's very possible that the disposition of the case was never reported and could still look active. 2 things to do, ..1st is a real pain in the azz, but if you have the denial papers, you'll have to apeal to the nics people which includes fingerprints and the court papers to prove yourself. The 2nd is to apply for the indiana cc permit and see what happens with the state police.
    He said he is delayed.

OP the bad part about a delay at a big box is if NICS doesn't come back with a proceed and just leaves it in delayed status, most big box stores will not release the firearm, by store policy.

Many but not all LGS will release the firearm after the required number of days (3 business days) to wait for NICS if it just stays in a delayed status.

Others will have to come back and advise on the particulars of that charge and say if that's a disqualifier from a NICS perspective.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Ok fyi the 4473 is only valid for 30 days! So if there’s no resolution by 7-24-24, you’d have to fill out the form again, and more than likely you’ll be delayed again (wash rinse and repeat! lol!)

My advice buy from a local gun store and not a chain store! Because after 3 business days the dealer can transfer the gun to you!…most chain stores (cabellas, rural king) lawyers tell them don’t transfer till you have a resolution from Nics!

Now does that mean you can own a gun legally?…no because once I had Nics call with a resolution after 3 days and asked if the gun had been transferred yet? I replied yes they said ok, we’ll handle it!

Good luck, and you might want to apply for a upin! Which might help, but not always!

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Ok fyi the 4473 is only valid for 30 days! So if there’s no resolution by 7-24-24, you’d have to fill out the form again, and more than likely you’ll be delayed again (wash rinse and repeat! lol!)

My advice buy from a local gun store and not a chain store! Because after 3 business days the dealer can transfer the gun to you!…most chain stores (cabellas, rural king) lawyers tell them don’t transfer till you have a resolution from Nics!

Now does that mean you can own a gun legally?…no because once I had Nics call with a resolution after 3 days and asked if the gun had been transferred yet? I replied yes they said ok, we’ll handle it!

Good luck, and you might want to apply for a upin! Which might help, but not always!
    You should add about those big box stores putting people on the black list if not approved in the proper amount of time.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Hey members im 31 i moved to Indiana last year and just went to purchase a gun from Cabela’s Monday June 24,2024 of course i got a delayed status because of common last name, and first time buyer but 6 years ago i got a “Unlawful Use Of A Weapon” for being pulled over and having a unloaded gun which wasnt mine in my car BUT i had a valid Illinois FOID (gun card) so i was charged with a misdemeanor no jail time can i own a gun in Indiana with that on my record???

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Now aren’t you glad you moved out of the Democrat controlled communist unwelcoming going down hill fast State of Illinois? Welcome to Indiana and enjoy some freedom vis-a-vis the Second Amendment!!! :ingo:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Were you convicted of the charge? Did you plead guilty? Were the charges dropped because you had a FOID?

Any state level misdemeanor with a maximum sentence greater than 2 years is a federal disqualifier, just like a felony. Class A misdemeanors in Illinois look like they top out at 1 year according to Google. You SHOULD be fine even if you plead out and got convicted of a Class A. However, prepare yourself for a denial and the appeal process.

I did it once when NICS had a brain fart. Took about 30 days. Sent in fingerprints. They basically send you out a letter to take back to the store for a Proceed on the transaction. No idea if Cabela's will actually proceed with the sale at that point, some places blacklist you on the first denial and that's it.

You might still be fine, just be patient. Delays by themselves don't mean anything. Putting SSN on the form sometimes helps. You can apply for a UPIN, which is a personal identification number to differentiate you from everyone else with your name. Put it on the form and you can avoid some of these problems.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Big box stores are not really friends of the 2A. They do nothing but make life miserable for gun buyers. Not only that but 9.99 times out of 10 their prices are usually at “list price” and if not at that level than usually much higher than a local LGS. That’s why we should all buy from and support your LGS and of course INGO supporting merchants! :rockwoot:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Hey, I can make you a sweet deal on some commas and periods! :-)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

Hey members, I'm 31. I moved to Indiana last year and just went to purchase a gun from Cabela’s on Monday. Of course, I got a delayed status because of a common last name and being a first time buyer. Six years ago I got an “Unlawful Use Of A Weapon” charge for being pulled over and having an unloaded gun in my car, which wasn't mine. I had a valid Illinois FOID (gun card) so I was charged with a misdemeanor. I did not serve any time in jail. Can I own a gun in Indiana with that on my record?

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Look behind you
    Hey members, I'm 31. I moved to Indiana last year and just went to purchase a gun from Cabela’s on Monday. Of course, I got a delayed status because of a common last name and being a first time buyer. Six years ago I got an “Unlawful Use Of A Weapon” charge for being pulled over and having an unloaded gun in my car, which wasn't mine. I had a valid Illinois FOID (gun card) so I was charged with a misdemeanor. I did not serve any time in jail. Can I own a gun in Indiana with that on my record?
    Hey now, you guys are gonna wind up running another one off!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    BBS always get slammed. For all the people that are so willing to chime in, get a FFL. Open your store. Deal with the local, state and federal regulations. Put your livelihood and freedom at stake on EVERY single transaction you do. Assume all the responsibilities then come and tell everybody how BBS screw everybody.

Kudo's to those of you who already are doing it.

1) Our prices are below what MANY LGS are. If not, we price match.
    2) We have a total of maybe 7-8 people on Delay status for over 3-5 days at any given time.
    3) I'm glad so many people here would be willing to turn over firearms to people, then have to notify LEO, that they need to go get the gun back because it turns out to be a Deny. Just had one this week. The more you sell, the more common it is.
    4) Friends of the 2A? Ok right, we're not.
    5) No black list for a form expiring.

:soapbox:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    BBS always get slammed. For all the people that are so willing to chime in, get a FFL. Open your store. Deal with the local, state and federal regulations. Put your livelihood and freedom at stake on EVERY single transaction you do. Assume all the responsibilities then come and tell everybody how BBS screw everybody.

Kudo's to those of you who already are doing it.

1) Our prices are below what MANY LGS are. If not, we price match.
    2) We have a total of maybe 7-8 people on Delay status for over 3-5 days at any given time.
    3) I'm glad so many people here would be willing to turn over firearms to people, then have to notify LEO, that they need to go get the gun back because it turns out to be a Deny. Just had one this week. The more you sell, the more common it is.
    4) Friends of the 2A? Ok right, we're not.
    5) No black list for a form expiring.

:soapbox:
    You left off the very low profit margin to be had, bad headaches gained part and general douch bag customers you deal with when having an FFL or range!

To the OP ride it out and if it becomes a problem appeal for your past issue and get a PIN for the common name issue.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I got denied at RK recently, because of a clerical error a few years ago. I went to a LGS and bought the same gun with no problem. BPS denials last forever, unless you get an approval from NICS, not sure how appeals work with them....

Top Bottom