• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I searched and couldnt find anything on this, sorry if its a dupe. Someone recently told me that ammo now has to degrade after X number of years to an un-useable state. They claimed this was a new obama policy.I wrote it off as rumor until I had a second person tell me the same thing just yesterday. Can someone confirm of deny this?:n00b:

Garand41

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Trafalgar
    I have some 1948 winchester M2 ball that I bought 10 years ago. I keep it in sealed ammo cans with dessicant. It seems to be as good as ever!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I have some 1948 winchester M2 ball that I bought 10 years ago. I keep it in sealed ammo cans with dessicant. It seems to be as good as ever!
    We're talking about a rumor that recently ammo is required to expire, so that that won't happen with ammo made in the last little bit. I haven't heard the claim. If it was true I'm sure it would be all over the news.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I still have some ammo that was fresh production American manufacturered ammo when I bought a few cases in 2009. I used some of it two weeks ago, and it seemed fine. I know that is not a long time, but I remember talk during the 1st AWB that was talking about quick decaying ammo. I do not think they got it done.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If it were law, we would all know about. It's not law and is not even being talked about as making it a law, not that some antis would like to see that happen.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    They claimed this was a new obama policy.
    False information to direct unsubstantiated anger and outrage to the POTUS. Sure, he may not be a second amendment advocate's best friend, but do we really need to continue to come off as raving lunatics? Okay, his policies aren't in line with ours, guess what, people have differing opinions. Deal with it and don't spread bs rumors for no purpose other than to instill fear and outrage.

This is not directed at you OP, I'm just tired of people making all gun owners look like idiots.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    rooster, this is a common problem in the gun culture which I analogize to 8th graders talking about sex. Some fact, some fiction and no one know what he is talking about but everyone is very enthused about it.:D

There is a base of truth which gets mixed in with gun nut paranoia and pessimism.

In the middle of the Clinton Administration, the subject of taggants in gunpowder was (once again) brought up from Foggy Bottom at ATF. These proposals were always beaten back as feckless and dangerous.

Gunpowder Taggant Study Included in Bill - Los Angeles Times

Promoting taggants were also suggested as the reason the Tippecanoe County courthouse was bombed in 1998 (yes, I was there that morning) as black powder was used in the device(s).

The Indiana Law Blog: Ind. Courts - Unsolved Tippecanoe County Courthouse bombing nearly ten years old

Taggants fell off the radar during the GWB Administrations but resurfaced with the election of Obama. This time taggants evolved into some sort of magic fairy dust that Remington/Winchester/ATK inter alia were sprinkling in ammunition to "expire" after so many years (now it is 10).

This is a "stew rumor", a bit of this and that. This comes from the guillibility of the gun culture to believe nothing but bad news when it comes to guns. It comes from three decades of taggant talk from .gov. And it comes from studies/pressure inside Big Army to have dumb APLs expire after so many years because of the Ottawa Convention. And, of course, it comes from "the heat" that SOME gun dealers give gun owners in shops and shows, "hey, buy this now, you know what is coming!"

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also adding into this:

All the push for completely lead-free ammo, especially lead-free primers, initially led to a "shelf life" of said primers in this "clean ammo". Essentially an unintended consequence of said priming compounds.

My understanding is that the companies making said types of primers have worked out the bugs - but that's not to say there isn't still plenty of that ammo out there.

Top Bottom