• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The bill to stop subsidizing Planned Parenthood with taxpayer dollars has failed.

S. 1881: A bill to prohibit Federal funding of Planned Parenthood Federation of America

H.R. 3301: To prohibit Federal funding of Planned Parenthood Federation of America

11402871_10153714693045579_4407657037391244537_o.jpg

On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed (Motion to Invoke Cloture on the Motion to Proceed to S. 1881 - Rejected! (60 Yeas needed)

Grouped By Vote Position
    YEAs ---53
    Alexander (R-TN)
    Ayotte (R-NH)
    Barrasso (R-WY)
    Blunt (R-MO)
    Boozman (R-AR)
    Burr (R-NC)
    Capito (R-WV)
    Cassidy (R-LA)
    Coats (R-IN)
    Cochran (R-MS)
    Collins (R-ME)
    Corker (R-TN)
    Cornyn (R-TX)
    Cotton (R-AR)
    Crapo (R-ID)
    Cruz (R-TX)
    Daines (R-MT)
    Donnelly (D-IN)
    Enzi (R-WY)
    Ernst (R-IA)
    Fischer (R-NE)
    Flake (R-AZ)
    Gardner (R-CO)
    Grassley (R-IA)
    Hatch (R-UT)
    Heller (R-NV)
    Hoeven (R-ND)
    Inhofe (R-OK)
    Isakson (R-GA)
    Johnson (R-WI)
    Lankford (R-OK)
    Lee (R-UT)
    Manchin (D-WV)
    McCain (R-AZ)
    Moran (R-KS)
    Murkowski (R-AK)
    Paul (R-KY)
    Perdue (R-GA)
    Portman (R-OH)
    Risch (R-ID)
    Roberts (R-KS)
    Rounds (R-SD)
    Rubio (R-FL)
    Sasse (R-NE)
    Scott (R-SC)
    Sessions (R-AL)
    Shelby (R-AL)
    Sullivan (R-AK)
    Thune (R-SD)
    Tillis (R-NC)
    Toomey (R-PA)
    Vitter (R-LA)
    Wicker (R-MS)
    NAYs ---46
    Baldwin (D-WI)
    Bennet (D-CO)
    Blumenthal (D-CT)
    Booker (D-NJ)
    Boxer (D-CA)
    Brown (D-OH)
    Cantwell (D-WA)
    Cardin (D-MD)
    Carper (D-DE)
    Casey (D-PA)
    Coons (D-DE)
    Durbin (D-IL)
    Feinstein (D-CA)
    Franken (D-MN)
    Gillibrand (D-NY)
    Heinrich (D-NM)
    Heitkamp (D-ND)
    Hirono (D-HI)
    Kaine (D-VA)
    King (I-ME)
    Kirk (R-IL)
    Klobuchar (D-MN)
    Leahy (D-VT)
    Markey (D-MA)
    McCaskill (D-MO)
    McConnell (R-KY)
    Menendez (D-NJ)
    Merkley (D-OR)
    Mikulski (D-MD)
    Murphy (D-CT)
    Murray (D-WA)
    Nelson (D-FL)
    Peters (D-MI)
    Reed (D-RI)
    Reid (D-NV)
    Sanders (I-VT)
    Schatz (D-HI)
    Schumer (D-NY)
    Shaheen (D-NH)
    Stabenow (D-MI)
    Tester (D-MT)
    Udall (D-NM)
    Warner (D-VA)
    Warren (D-MA)
    Whitehouse (D-RI)
    Wyden (D-OR)

Last edited:

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    McConnell's vote is a procedural tactic and only came after he was assured that the cloture motion would fail. It gives him some tactical advantages that he wouldn't have had he voted Yea.

The more interesting story is how the Indiana delegation voted....or, didn't vote. Glad but surprised to see Donnelly with the Republicans. There's only 1 senator missing in the tally.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm not understanding McConnell's vote. Can someone explain without the normal political drivel. I'm just not seeing how a Republican from KY pulls that off. I can see one from Illinois doing it, but not KY.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    McConnell's vote is a procedural tactic and only came after he was assured that the cloture motion would fail. It gives him some tactical advantages that he wouldn't have had he voted Yea.

The more interesting story is how the Indiana delegation voted....or, didn't vote. There's only 1 senator missing in the tally.

What exactly does he gain? Also, I see both IN senators voting for it. I was pleasantly surprised to see Donnelly vote for it. Who was missing?

joe138

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Heltonville
    I understand that if the senate majority leader votes for the winning side, he can bring it back up at a later date. Harry Reid did the same thing on some bills. It doesn't make sense and I could have some of the details wrong, but overall I think it is accurate. And I am open to the exact explanation.

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    What exactly does he gain? Also, I see both IN senators voting for it. I was pleasantly surprised to see Donnelly vote for it. Who was missing?

To be a sponsor (or co-sponsor) for introducing legislation during a session of Congress, or attaching already defeated legislation to another bill in the same session, you cannot have been defeated on essentially the same language in the current session. Everyone who voted Yea can no longer introduce essentially this same legislation again in this session. It's a common tactic for the leader, or a designate, to purposely vote with the winners, once losing is assured, to give the losers someone who can, if the opportunity arises, attach language to a future bill in the same session. McConnell didn't vote NO because he wanted Planned Parenthood to succeed. He voted NO to keep his ability open for attaching language to a future bill if the opportunity arises.

Just to be clear, those who voted Yea were the losers in this case because cloture required 60 votes. Those who voted NO, although outnumbered, were the "winners" in this vote.

Last edited:

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Amazing that there is even 1 vote for funding the killing and selling of babies. This country is lost. The greed is washington has taken over long ago and continues to destroy us. We as a country are lost

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Matt Walsh hits it on the head, I think.

https://www.facebook.com/MattWalshBlog/posts/1015324245167352

The bill to defund Planned Parenthood didn’t pass. It was never going to pass. It wasn’t meant to pass. Earlier today I wrote something where I said “I’m glad Republicans are trying,” but I shouldn’t have written that. They aren’t trying. They are creating a talking point. That’s all. Be careful about any Republican who overly trumpets his own involvement in, or support of, this bill. He knew it had no chance. He knew it was impotent. He knows he’s bragging about putting his name on a fruitless piece of legislation that was designed to fail. Ted Cruz has been honest on this point, and that’s a mark in his favor.

If Republicans are really serious about defunding Planned Parenthood, they can’t write a bill to defund Planned Parenthood and then ask 7 or 8 Democrats to vote yes and hope the President is drunk and in the middle of a psychotic breakdown on the day they send the bill to his desk. That’s the only way he’d somehow forget to veto the thing.

A “Defund Planned Parenthood” bill will never pass without a Republican president and massive, overwhelming Republican majorities in both houses. And even then, they have to be extremely conservative Republican majorities. We don’t have that. Everyone knows we don’t have that. That bill wasn’t going to pass. It wasn’t designed to.

If Republicans really want to defund Planned Parenthood, they have to play hardball. As many other conservative writers have pointed out, they need to attach defunding to bills liberals want. They have to hold liberal legislation hostage. They have to say to the president, “You will not get anything you want, ever again, if you don’t sign a bill with an amendment to defund Planned Parenthood.” They have to be tough, persistent, and aggressive. They have the numbers to force this issue, but the question is whether they have the courage and integrity.

On that point, I’m not optimistic. So it goes back to us. We have to push this. We have to understand what we’re asking our representatives to do. Don’t ask them to write another bill just like this one. Demand that they include Planned Parenthood defunding as amendments on bills the Democrats like. Republicans had this chance last week when some of them tried to attach an amendment to the Highway Bill. Mitch McConnell blocked the amendment, but then turned around and sponsored the legislation that was just voted down tonight. He blocked the thing that would have worked in favor of the thing that had no chance of working. He’s a fraud.

A lot of them are frauds. Conservatives have few friends in the Republican Party, and even fewer who are actual vertebrates. We have to metaphorically smack them around if we ever expect them to do anything. After all, the feds have been funding abortions for decades and never has the Republican Party made much of an issue about it. They CONTROLLED ALL THREE BRANCHES OF THE GOVERNMENT not too long ago, and they did nothing to stop Planned Parenthood. Only now do they pretend to care because it’s expedient.

So, fine, let’s make sure they realize it’s expedient to stay on this issue. It’s expedient to use every trick and tactic in the book to make this happen. It’s expedient to grind the whole damned government to a halt if that’s what it takes. It’s expedient to take every dirty little move Democrats have been using forever and turn it against them. It’s expedient to give them a dose of their own medicine, for the sake of saving human lives.

It’s expedient to make this happen. One way or another. No matter what. Or they’re all useless to us and we’ll replace them all when the time comes. That’s the message we need to send. Don’t give up. This battle has barely even started. You aren’t off the hook, Republicans. We aren’t satisfied. We aren’t impressed. And we won’t be satiated until you get the job done. For once.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The more interesting story is how the Indiana delegation voted....or, didn't vote. Glad but surprised to see Donnelly with the Republicans. There's only 1 senator missing in the tally.

Did Donnelly vote yea with the Dem's blessing, knowing what the count was? This has happened before on other votes.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Matt Walsh said:
    A lot of them are frauds. Conservatives have few friends in the Republican Party, and even fewer who are actual vertebrates. We have to metaphorically smack them around if we ever expect them to do anything. After all, the feds have been funding abortions for decades and never has the Republican Party made much of an issue about it. They CONTROLLED ALL THREE BRANCHES OF THE GOVERNMENT not too long ago, and they did nothing to stop Planned Parenthood. Only now do they pretend to care because it’s expedient.

lol, yeah there's that little inconvenient detail.

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Did Donnelly vote yea with the Dem's blessing, knowing what the count was? This has happened before on other votes.

Possible. Donnelly isn't up again until 2018 and has no fund raising concerns. His vote will play well with Dems in Indiana and the national organizations he needs in 2018 will forgive & forget to make sure a D keeps the office when the time comes. It was a good move by Donnelly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom